Back to School games?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Back to School games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 10th, 2018, 3:50 pm

I never liked school while I was in it, but sometimes I wish I could return to those days. Especially during the Fall with the change of seasons. In addition to Fall/Football/Halloween games I feel like playing a good back-to-school game.

I think I'll return to Life Is Strange (PS4) review and finish that review. I've been listening to the soundtrack lately, and it has that folksy/bohemian "alternative" sound I remember from my college days.

Another good "school" game is Bully, which ultimately takes you through all the seasons and holidays. Any other suggestions? Thoughts?

ptdebate

Re: Back to School games?

Postby ptdebate » September 10th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Life is Strange is a great one. I think I gave the PS3 version a C+ but the PS4/Xbox One deserves at least a B+ because of the much better graphics and overall presentation. There has since been a prequel and a sequel.

The Persona series is pitch perfect if you're looking for a back-to-school vibe. P5 had a price reduction recently - take a look at my review in the RPG crew forum ;)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 10th, 2018, 4:38 pm

The first one that popped in my head was the Persona series (as ptdebate noted), although I've never played any games in the series.

The second one that popped in my head: Adventures of Willy Beamish for Sega CD. I have it lying around, but never played it.. but I recall the details of it from your review, and I think it's mostly based on the antics of a school-age kid (both at school and home).

As a more outside-the-box choice, how about Oregon Trail? It has nothing to do with school, but playing it results in instant flashbacks to grammar school days in the computer lab.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 10th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Two others popping in my head.. I think River City Ransom (NES) had a story based on high schoolers. And then Super Dodge Ball for NES. While I think Super Dodge Ball involves some random international competition, you still can't play dodgeball without thinking back to school days.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 11th, 2018, 12:18 am

Retro STrife wrote:As a more outside-the-box choice, how about Oregon Trail? It has nothing to do with school, but playing it results in instant flashbacks to grammar school days in the computer lab.

Sorry for a third post, but just a follow up about Oregon Trail.. Generally I think of it as a computer game; especially for Apple II, and then the great follow-up Oregon Trail II in the 90s for PC. BUT, there are two console versions that could be reviewed for the site: a 2011 game released for 3DS and Wii. Both are modern versions of the game, but they’re pretty pricey ($25-$40), with the 3DS version slightly cheaper. Can’t really find reviews online, except a GameSpot review giving the Wii version a 3 out of 10. But might be worth a look for anyone with nostalgia for the old games.

EDIT: In sadder news (and joining a common theme on this forum about the problems with digital-only games), there was a 2009 release of Oregon Trail for download on DSiWare which got great reviews (averaging 83%), and looks great, and completely different from the 2009 release. Unfortunately, my understanding is that it’s now gone forever, since the DSiWare servers have closed.. A great game, now maybe lost forever.

GTS

Postby GTS » September 11th, 2018, 6:26 am

Willy Beamish?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 11th, 2018, 9:07 am

Oregon Trail and a bunch of other Apple ][ games like Number Munchers are what would take me 'back to school' days.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » September 11th, 2018, 9:20 am

I've never played it, but "Day Dreamin' Davey" is a weird NES RPG about a boy who keeps falling asleep at school and dreaming about adventures. The Angry Video Game Nerd did an episode about it.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 13th, 2018, 5:38 pm

You can also think of educational titles you reviewed:
Compton Encyclopedia (CD-i)
Letter Match (Astrocade)

Also, in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) the main guy is going back to his high school...

Some other ideas for educational games:
Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES)
Mario Time's Machine (NES or SNES)
Mario is Missing! (NES or SNES)
Mario's Early Years! Series (SNES)
Math Blaster: In Search of Spot (SNES or Genesis)
The Magic School Bus (Genesis)
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (Genesis, SNES)

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » September 14th, 2018, 10:33 am

I highly recommend Big Brain Academy for Wii

Return to “Video Games General”