Sony Playstation Classic, $99 US, 12/3

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

PS1 Classic

Postby CharlieR » September 19th, 2018, 10:25 am

As most have speculated, a PS1 classic was announced! It will be released later this year for $99.99. It will come with two controllers, which are the first edition ones without the analog control sticks. 5 of the 20 games have been revealed: Final Fantasy 7, Wild Arms, Ridge Racer type 4, Tekken 3, and Jumping Flash.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/19/17877 ... -ps1-games

DaHeckIzDat

Playstation Classic

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 19th, 2018, 11:22 am

Sony has announced the Playstation Classic, releasing this December with 20 games on it. The full list of games hasn't been announced yet, but so far they've told us it will have Final Fantasy VII, Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, and Tekken 3. They also haven't announced a price. I'm not sure if I'll be getting one or not. It might be a fun little collectible, but as far as games go Sony is way better at putting their classic games on the PSN to download, and then I can play them on PS3/PS4 with a wireless controller that doesn't make me sit two feet away from the TV!

David

Sony Playstation Classic, $99 US, 12/3

Postby David » September 19th, 2018, 11:26 am

https://kotaku.com/sony-just-announced- ... 1829159574

Twenty games, though only 5 have been confirmed:

Final Fantasy VII
Jumping Flash
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken 3
Wild Arms

I have mixed thoughts. On the one hand, I like the idea of mini consoles in general. They’re small, come with authentic controllers, and have top-notch emulation. On the other hand, Sony had a really great thing going with the PSP, PS3, and Vita, where they had a PS1 Classics line that could be purchased once and then played on all your consoles. Instead of this, why couldn’t they add PS1/PS2 Classics to the PS4? At least with the Switch, Nintendo is offering a selection of NES games and presumably will add more with their online service that released yesterday, in addition to their classic mini consoles.

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Sony Playstation Classic, $99 US, 12/3

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 19th, 2018, 12:17 pm

I went ahead and merged your threads into one so that we can keep the discussion all in the same place.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 19th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Thank you. I figured this would get a lot of discussion.

One other thing worth noting is that since these controllers are the original ones without the analog stick, would that affect the game selection at all? I wonder if later games that used the analog sticks will not be included.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 19th, 2018, 2:08 pm

I'm sure it will be good for someone out there, but I already have so many different ways to play these games, the highest on the list being my Vita. I think I'll pass on this one.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 19th, 2018, 2:11 pm

CharlieR wrote:One other thing worth noting is that since these controllers are the original ones without the analog stick, would that affect the game selection at all?

Personally, I feel like that's the point.

The original PlayStation had quite a collection of games built up by the time the Dual Shock controller was introduced in 1997. Tekken 3 came later, sure, but still relied on D-Pad inputs to mimic the 8-way joystick of the arcade machine. The JRPGs that are listed to be included wouldn't benefit much at all from an analog stick, as the gameplay mostly consists of navigating menus. Even true classics, like Symphony of the Night and the original Resident Evil, were designed with the D-Pad in mind, and work perfectly well with the original controller. It is a bit of a surprise that Ridge Racer Type 4 is in the set, as that game definitely used analog control to its advantage.

I think that Sony would do well to market this console with a focus on its first few years of software, and provide a Greatest Hits (get it??) of the earliest games in the system's lifespan. WarHawk. Doom. Mortal Kombat 3. Road Rash. Even one of the Street Fighter Alpha games, or maybe Darkstalkers. Jumping Flash is already on there, which I think is a good call. By focusing on the earlier games, the lack of a Dual Shock controller won't matter too much. I think we'll see a few later games included such as Metal Gear Solid, but as someone who has beaten that game on the original PlayStation, with the original D-Pad controller, I can attest that it plays just fine without an analog stick.

I feel like I might be the only person on the entire planet who actually prefers the original D-Pad PlayStation controllers over the later Dual Shock revision. Just my opinion, of course, but I found the original controllers to be light, balanced, and well-made, and perfect for 2D fighters and platformers. The Dual Shock setup always struck me as an afterthought, like a toy company that uses their existing molds to create "new" toys, rather than starting from scratch and designing something new from the ground up. I never liked the placement of the analog sticks, and I can't use any version of the Dual Shock controller for more than 15 minutes or so without experiencing discomfort. It's a big reason why I don't buy Sony consoles, unfortunately. Same goes for why I never really cared for the GameCube or the OG Xbox. It doesn't matter how good the games are - if I can't play without feeling comfortable, then I'm not going to be playing for long!

Want my guess as to what happens next? We get the PlayStation Classic this year, with two D-Pad controllers, and next year, Sony rolls out the PSONE Classic, with two Dual Shock controllers, and 20 more games that came out later in the system's life cycle. I doubt they'd jump straight into a PS2 Classic, but I can definitely see the redesigned PSONE getting the classic treatment, full of games like Silent Hill, Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Gran Turismo 2, and the like.

That, or Sony will sell Dual Shock controllers separately. Either way, as popular as these Mini / Classic consoles have become, people will go for it. Even the Atari consoles with all the built-in games eventually came with paddle controllers. As long as the initial sales are good, we'll see a "new and improved" version every year. The AtGames Sega consoles eventually had wireless controllers and HDMI output, while Nintendo, or course, released the SNES Classic after the NES Classic was such as smash hit.

Does anyone else get the feeling that these Classic consoles are starting to "jump the shark?" Is anyone nearly as excited about buying this PlayStation Classic console as they were when they got their first Atari or Sega mini console, or even the NES Classic? I did buy an Atari mini console years ago, and enjoyed it, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it wasn't nearly as exciting as having the real thing. I have no doubt in my mind that Sony's console will sell well, but I can't help but feel like the bloom has come off the rose a bit. Even hearing people gush about rumors of Nintendo releasing an N64 classic, or Sega rolling out a Dreamcast mini console, leaves me rolling my eyes a bit. If the game companies can keep making these things and finding an audience, that's great, more power to them. I just feel like the novelty of it all is gone. Now, it just feels like we're getting into a crowded "me too" category.

Again, for their sake, I hope Sony sells a boatload of these things, just like Nintendo did with their Classic consoles. When it comes to buying one for myself, though, count me out.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 19th, 2018, 2:13 pm

I'm personally very excited to see this. The PS1 is a system that gamers hold near to their hearts. It's makes perfect sense to deliver this. I think the price point seems about $20 too high, but I'll wait until we have the final list of games before making that judgement.

Games I'd like to see:

1st Party Stuff
Gran Turismo
Medievil
Twisted Metal 2
Tomba
Warhawk
Parappa the Rappa
Hot Shots Golf

3rd Party Games
Castlevania SotN
Metal Gear Solid
Strider 2
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Oddworld Abe's Oddysee
Bushido Blade

Longshots that I'd LOVE
Einhander
Team Buddies
Poy Poy
Return Fire
Heart of Darkness
Skullmonkeys

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 19th, 2018, 2:15 pm

I'm holding out for Deathtrap Dungeon. And King's Field.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 19th, 2018, 2:48 pm

For the sake of people who are going to buy this console, I sincerely hope that they don't force HD upscaling. The PS1 games that are completely 3D should look fine with it, but the many games that combine 2D and 3D elements look really bad when they do this.

Return to “Video Games General”