Sony Playstation Classic, $99 US, 12/3

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: Sony Playstation Classic, $99 US, 12/3

Postby ActRaiser » September 25th, 2018, 2:58 pm

txsizzler wrote:
Besides the potential legal ramifications (like, you don't already own the actual physical copy of the game), my biggest fear in going to these ROM/ISO sites, is that you will end up on a virus-ridden webpage, so how can you tell if a site like this is too risky to use?

Completely fair, I have the same concerns. I don't know if it helps but I use an incognito browser option to ensure it's a new browser window with its own memory that I close out after I visit the site. I also have antivirus software running as well. That's no guarantee but so far I've had no issues.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 25th, 2018, 3:30 pm

txsizzler wrote:Besides the potential legal ramifications (like, you don't already own the actual physical copy of the game), my biggest fear in going to these ROM/ISO sites, is that you will end up on a virus-ridden webpage, so how can you tell if a site like this is too risky to use?

Just use a Mac. You'll be good :)

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » December 4th, 2018, 3:57 am

Ignoring all the controversy over the game selection, the final verdict as I read about this seems to be poor quality emulation, lack of options like scanlines, and a bizarre choice of slow 50 hz PAL versions for many of the included games. On the plus size, the overall package looks nice, the front-end menu is attractive, and the controllers reportably feel good.

Early reports make it sound like this won't be as open ended for hacking as Nintendo's systems were. And annoyingly you can plug in a Dual Shock 4 via USB and get the analog sticks to work, but not the buttons (No idea about rumble). Proper support would've been a nice touch for Ridge Racer Type 4 and anything else here that would've benefited from analog sticks and rumble.

And I'm also still disappointed that it only upscales a natively rendered image. Not only do several emulators allow for high-definition rendering, but at least one even allows for perspective correct textures. Ridge Racer Type 4 for instance can look absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOqL5A_bu40

That's how the games should've looked here.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » December 5th, 2018, 7:17 am

I think PAL versions of games were chosen because they already had all the foreign language options.

Still a bad move, Sony could include both NTSC and PAL versions and allow the player to choose.

scotland

Postby scotland » December 5th, 2018, 9:08 am

C64_Critic wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:One trend I find alarming is how these "classic" consoles are becoming more and more expensive. I'm wondering how long it will be before we get a full-featured model packed with games for the same price as a modern console?

I also really dislike how they are 1) almost certainly emulator, not hardware-based, and 2) intentionally neutered so that they're locked down to the addition of other games in the future. The reason I especially hate #2 is I'm sure it's only because they want to launch yet another 'classic' collection in the future at higher profit margins than if they just released the classic with the ability to purchase additional games in the future via some online service. I don't want to shell out $100 for 20 games, a probable mixed bag of good and mediocre games, just so that 1 year from now they can try to hit me again for another $100 mix of an additional 20 games, also a mixed bag of good/decent.

It does seem like we've gone through some transitions in emulation. We've had hardware backwards compatibility, famiclones which could have been entire boards, to Systems-on-a-Chip, to FPGA tech, to using basically any old chip to run an emulator.

One reason to intentionally neuter a system is, yes, to lock in market for the next redesign. Another could be to cross their legal T's and dot their I's, but seriously, just adding an SD slot for 'save states' is enough cover.(The legal argument is also weak because I suspect they didn't build their emulator from scratch but appropriated one)

A third reason *could* be that, they can tinker with the code of the included games to make sure they actually work and work well on the chosen emulator. We've seen companies piecemeal release backwards compatible games supposedly because they needed to tinker with the code to make sure they ran well. For these consoles, I doubt they tinkered with the code - they just got the rights to a suite of games, and those are the games they put on the consoles.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 5th, 2018, 5:15 pm

I still may get one, but they pretty much removed every attractive feature. I was hoping it was a matter of “quality over quantity” but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 5th, 2018, 8:19 pm

I still have my ps1 and ps2 and ps3. As such I cannot see that I will be getting it even though it has the superior pal system, lol.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 12th, 2018, 9:58 pm

A couple of Questions:

1. How well does the PS Classic scale the games to HD? The current emulators out there for the PC look horrible when stretched to 1920 x 1080.

2. Has this been hacked yet? The software lineup is too weak for me to purchase but if I could mod it the way I like I could conceivably see myself purchasing it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 13th, 2018, 7:58 am

DrLitch wrote:A couple of Questions:

2. Has this been hacked yet? The software lineup is too weak for me to purchase but if I could mod it the way I like I could conceivably see myself purchasing it.

Yes, but it's not quite prime time yet to make it easy on yourself as a viable emulation machine. I'd wait a couple more weeks or a month and check back on its status. They'll have gotten much further by then.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » December 13th, 2018, 8:32 am

The SNES Classic runs PlayStation games better than the PlayStation Classic.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... on_classic

Return to “Video Games General”