All the best...

General and high profile video game topics.
Gleebergloben123

All the best...

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 4th, 2018, 8:24 pm

And another one bites the dust. After coming here for almost 20 years, this site has changed in ways that I’ve decided to move on and stop coming here.

Thanks Dave for the site and for the amazing reviews over the years. And I’ll say it for the last time, your 2600 Swordquest reviews are hilarious.

Peace to all.

Voor

Re: All the best...

Postby Voor » October 4th, 2018, 9:33 pm

I stumbled upon this site in 2005, so been a while for me too. It’s always been slow paced, since posts have to be approved, but it does seem slower than usual.

But the content seems fairly consistent. There’s always been a good balance of peaceful gamers, fanboys, s*** stirrers, and the like.

What change did you notice?

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 4th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Voor wrote:I stumbled upon this site in 2005, so been a while for me too. It’s always been slow paced, since posts have to be approved, but it does seem slower than usual.

But the content seems fairly consistent. There’s always been a good balance of peaceful gamers, fanboys, s*** stirrers, and the like.

What change did you notice?

You didn’t mention the ten year gap when you didn’t post. Some of it happened during the ten years when you didn’t post.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 5th, 2018, 3:18 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:And another one bites the dust. After coming here for almost 20 years, this site has changed in ways that I’ve decided to move on and stop coming here.

Hope you have a change of mind, I know I don’t post much these days but unless I feel I can add to a discussion or I have a opinion about a game/topic I tend not to bother but I do ‘lurk’ usually once a day.

Just wondering what’s changed for you ?

Voor

Postby Voor » October 5th, 2018, 6:22 am

Ahh yes, the dark ages. Lol. Refer to the thread where I mentioned that period of my life where I did nothing but work and take Care of the family. Plus, I had lost interest in video games, and only got back into them when I discovered speedrunning a few years ago.

Anyway.....what happened during my absence ?

scotland

Postby scotland » October 5th, 2018, 6:38 am

Sorry to see you go. Twenty years. Wow.

Has your interest in video games in general waned, or just interedt in this site?

The forums have gotten slower. Dave has kept up his pace on reviews, but conversations elsewhere are fewer or shorter.

Some of that has been the drop in fanboy/girl behavior, some because gaming has changed in fundamental ways - not just better tech, some because mass emulation has watered down the interest in retro reviews, sometimes just a few people coming or going made a difference, we don't go hog wild over every new game, there are places like twitter that you can post your game thoughts on and get quick replies, and that gamers still interested in things like Atari 2600 reviews are really old (all my opinions).

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 5th, 2018, 4:47 pm

May I ask what pushed you away from the forums?

I became a member in 2012 so you could say I'm part of the "new generation."

Is there something that we're doing that you don't like or is it just a general feeling?

Voor

Postby Voor » October 5th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Honestly, I miss fanboys/girls. They make it much more interesting. I grew up in the SNES vs Genesis debate, but nowadays, kids just get everything. I’m 37 and have never bought anything but Nintendo, but my younger brother has a PS4, XBox one, and Switch.

There’s always arguing—this is the Internet—but the beauty is that you can engage or just move along to the next one.

Return to “Video Games General”