Call of Duty Bops 4 50 gig day 1 shocker.

General and high profile video game topics.
rohoGames

Re: Call of Duty Bops 4 50 gig day 1 shocker.

Postby rohoGames » October 15th, 2018, 2:43 am

Yeah I hate this so much. It's the reality but it blows.

So many of my younger game industry coworkers are digital only, and that's fine I guess. But I agree, if you sell a physical copy of something, it ought to have the full playable game on there.

Collecting is gonna get WEIRD as these games get older and collectible. Certain games will just disappear if there isn't a community to do hard work like converting them over to peer to peer servers and so-forth. All but the biggest hits (as far as online games go) will vanish.

That said, it may also create an interesting business opportunity for low budget publishers to swoop in, buy the source code to defunct online games, roll some servers, and hope some hit. I think some of this might already be happening.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 15th, 2018, 12:48 pm

rohoGames wrote:Collecting is gonna get WEIRD as these games get older and collectible.

A great point you could conceivably have the physical game and disc/cartridge but it still wouldn’t work correctly as it requires additional data from a defunct server.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 15th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I think younger gamers who have embraced online games may be in for a rude reality in the future when they realized their games have disappeared. Then again 90% of gamers aren't collectors so they probably won't even care.

I do want to add that this is not YET the new reality. My new consoles have been offline for some time and all the games I've bought have run very well offline. The Switch really couldn't embrace this model even if it wanted, since the local storage is so limited.

I think it's worthwhile to push back, because the more you capitulate the more control and ownership these companies will take from you.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 16th, 2018, 11:15 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think younger gamers who have embraced online games may be in for a rude reality in the future when they realized their games have disappeared. Then again 90% of gamers aren't collectors so they probably won't even care.

I do want to add that this is not YET the new reality. My new consoles have been offline for some time and all the games I've bought have run very well offline. The Switch really couldn't embrace this model even if it wanted, since the local storage is so limited.

I think it's worthwhile to push back, because the more you capitulate the more control and ownership these companies will take from you.

There are rumors published that the next-gen Xbox console will be out in a couple years and will have two versions, including one that is entirely Cloud based.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 26th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Update: VGchartz week 1 physical sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/393647/ ... at-retail/

Sols more then Infinite Warfare, but less then WW2 from last year. If the game sold better digitally then physicaly shows that physical media is almost dead at this point.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 27th, 2018, 3:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here's the thing - Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is trying to follow the FortNite model. It's an online-only, constantly changing game. That is fine!

The problem is, by selling it on disc you are giving the impression that the game is actually contained in the box. It's kind of like when they were selling game boxes containing download codes. Nobody liked that and you'll notice it's not done anymore. Well, this is basically the same thing, only you're being tricked into downloading the game as a guise of "updating".

Make this a download only title and I will have no problem at all.

I rented this game a few weeks back. To be honest, I don't recall there being any long download attached to it, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. As for the game itself, it's a decent competitive online shooter and I had a bit of fun with the Battle Royale mode -- although it's not better than Fortnite. I posted my thoughts in the Now Playing forum, if anyone is interested/bored:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 12&t=17413

As to the Critic's point above, I agree with the first paragraph -- we have to keep in mind that some games are constantly evolving, so patches are necessary in that case. Fortnite changes up its map every few months, just to keep things fresh and interesting. Black Ops 4 will be like that too. That is one situation where updates, downloads, patches, etc. are actually a good thing. I can't agree with the last sentence though-- I don't think it should be download only. I still like owning a tangible disc when possible, even if it is just a gateway to a download, and even if it will be useless once the servers go down. Heck, there's a lot of games from the past 20 years that are now nothing more than drink coasters, since they involve online play and the servers are shut down- but I still keep them on my shelf anyway. Plus, by putting it on a disc, then the market controls the resale price (i.e., gamers decide what used copies are worth) rather than the game companies deciding when they want to stop selling the download to us for $59.99.

Return to “Video Games General”