Call of Duty Bops 4 50 gig day 1 shocker.

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Re: Call of Duty Bops 4 50 gig day 1 shocker.

Postby Sonicx9 » October 9th, 2018, 10:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is the hell the internet has wrought. The reason the huge patch is required is because the game wasn't even CLOSE to complete when they put it on disc. They knew people would download the "fixed" version so Activision didn't care. To them physical media is a just a ruse to get you to buy - a glorified bait and switch scheme.

Frankly I'll bet the game STILL won't be complete or polished after you download the patch. Once publishers start to get lax with their standards, there's really not incentive for quality. Let's not support this business model.

You are so right, many games even after mega patches are still incomplete and unpolished, and not the only time as well. As many can still be unpolished even after the big updates. Thats why we need to speak out because this is getting out of hand.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 10th, 2018, 10:37 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:This is the hell the internet has wrought. The reason the huge patch is required is because the game wasn't even CLOSE to complete when they put it on disc. They knew people would download the "fixed" version so Activision didn't care. To them physical media is a just a ruse to get you to buy - a glorified bait and switch scheme.

Frankly I'll bet the game STILL won't be complete or polished after you download the patch. Once publishers start to get lax with their standards, there's really not incentive for quality. Let's not support this business model.

You are so right, many games even after mega patches are still incomplete and unpolished, and not the only time as well. As many can still be unpolished even after the big updates. Thats why we need to speak out because this is getting out of hand.

I thought you would love this post Sonic. Plus 55Gb, no chance of a switch port fortunately.

Oh Master chief works now. As I bought on disc day 1 I got ODST for free and an extra month of gold. MS were the first people to do the pay for the multiplayer experience and now everyone has followed suit. Though me and a pal were going to play it co op over Christmas and that never happened. Oh well. At least it was better than the turkey which was H5.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 10th, 2018, 2:46 pm

One day, we are going to purchase a game that has one level. You’ll have to download the addition levels one month at a time as they are released for $5.99 each.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 12th, 2018, 12:33 am

GameOfThrones wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:

I thought you would love this post Sonic. Plus 55Gb, no chance of a switch port fortunately.

Oh Master chief works now. As I bought on disc day 1 I got ODST for free and an extra month of gold. MS were the first people to do the pay for the multiplayer experience and now everyone has followed suit. Though me and a pal were going to play it co op over Christmas and that never happened. Oh well. At least it was better than the turkey which was H5.

Not a loss for a Switch port, but for Master chief case, the fact that it would not work right a whole year after launch so just how much of a incomplete mess it was in the end!

Also, the review embargo for Black Ops 4 is now up being very positive dispite them mentioning nothing about the day 1 patch or other problems which is disgusting and bad.: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... lack-ops-4 hope this flops.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 12th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Here's the thing - Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is trying to follow the FortNite model. It's an online-only, constantly changing game. That is fine!

The problem is, by selling it on disc you are giving the impression that the game is actually contained in the box. It's kind of like when they were selling game boxes containing download codes. Nobody liked that and you'll notice it's not done anymore. Well, this is basically the same thing, only you're being tricked into downloading the game as a guise of "updating".

Make this a download only title and I will have no problem at all.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 12th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Voor wrote:One day, we are going to purchase a game that has one level. You’ll have to download the addition levels one month at a time as they are released for $5.99 each.

aka shareware

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 12th, 2018, 5:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here's the thing - Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is trying to follow the FortNite model. It's an online-only, constantly changing game. That is fine!

The problem is, by selling it on disc you are giving the impression that the game is actually contained in the box. It's kind of like when they were selling game boxes containing download codes. Nobody liked that and you'll notice it's not done anymore. Well, this is basically the same thing, only you're being tricked into downloading the game as a guise of "updating".

They have been doing this more often, selling you a disc that only functions when connected to the internet, if that the case, it should be download only as people who buy physical expect to play offline, not online.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 14th, 2018, 6:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:

In relationship to this, the digital version made the most for Activision to date at day 1.

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/call-of-dut ... on-history

Can not wait for the week 1 VGChaetz sales to see if the disc version sold worse then the download version?

Sut

Postby Sut » October 14th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Let’s be honest most games are very rarely on disc now, the bulk of the data is downloaded despite having the disc. You can include Switch cartridges with that as well.
Things are going digital I’m afraid guys.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 14th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Sut wrote:Let’s be honest most games are very rarely on disc now, the bulk of the data is downloaded despite having the disc. You can include Switch cartridges with that as well.
Things are going digital I’m afraid guys.

You are correct Sut, but that doesn't mean we have to just throw up our hands and accept it. Let's face it, the internet is great for complaining, and sometimes it makes a difference.

Return to “Video Games General”