Easy SRPGs?

General and high profile video game topics.
User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 17th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I always make sure to avoid losing characters - stock up on Phoenix Downs early on.

Question: How do I use phoenix downs? I've got a ton of them, but none of my guys have the option to use them. The chemist can use potions, but not PDs.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 970
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby ptdebate » October 17th, 2018, 5:07 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:I always make sure to avoid losing characters - stock up on Phoenix Downs early on.

Question: How do I use phoenix downs? I've got a ton of them, but none of my guys have the option to use them. The chemist can use potions, but not PDs.


Phoenix Down is an ability in the Chemist job that costs a certain amount of job points to unlock (400 if memory serves). Have you played around with changing jobs yet?

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 885
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby Retro STrife » October 17th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Yeah, ptdebate has it right - you learn it as a Chemist ability. Admittedly, it's been like 5-10 years since the last time I played through FFT, so my memory on some things in fuzzy. One thing I do remember though is that I hate Chemists. Well, really, I hate using healing items in any RPG.. I want healing magic instead. It's nicer once you get the White Mage. But again, that's part of why it's important to level up early on and unlock job classes.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 970
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby ptdebate » October 17th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Yeah, ptdebate has it right - you learn it as a Chemist ability. Admittedly, it's been like 5-10 years since the last time I played through FFT, so my memory on some things in fuzzy. One thing I do remember though is that I hate Chemists. Well, really, I hate using healing items in any RPG.. I want healing magic instead. It's nicer once you get the White Mage. But again, that's part of why it's important to level up early on and unlock job classes.


Have you tried the mobile port? It's actually very nice to play with the touch controls and has much sharper graphics than the other versions.

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 885
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby Retro STrife » October 17th, 2018, 6:36 pm

ptdebate wrote:Have you tried the mobile port? It's actually very nice to play with the touch controls and has much sharper graphics than the other versions.


No, I didn't even realize there was a mobile port. I've played through the PS1 version once back around 2000, and the PSP version once around 2010. I prefer the PSP version, due to the improved translation. Which one is the mobile port based on?

I also played through the sequel, FFT Advance (GBA), a few years ago, although of course it's nowhere near as good as the original FFT. It lacks a good story, and really that's what elevates the original FFT so high in my mind. Next up, I'm planning to finally started FFT A2 (DS) sometime soon. I know that one will also be inferior to the original, but I'm still looking forward to it. Have you tried either of those?

User avatar
Rev
Posts: 1429
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby Rev » October 17th, 2018, 7:22 pm

If you have a PSP there are a ton of SRPGs to choose from. One that I thought was really fun was jeanne d'arc. It has pretty simple mechanics, a fun story, and looks just like a PS1 era SRPG.

You might also try:
GBA: Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis
PS1: Vandal Hearts

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 17th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Has anyone here played the Fire Emblem games? How would you say they stack up against Final Fantasy Tactics? I've looked at screenshots, and the battlefields all look completely flat-- which to me is a good thing. The layered and sloping battlefields of FFT are a little hard to navigate, especially since there's no top down view. Just the slanted isometric one.

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 17th, 2018, 11:58 pm

Here's another stupid question: why don't my mages have any spells? Do I have to make them whack some bad guys with their staff to give them more JBs before they can actually help?

Alucard1191
Posts: 167
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby Alucard1191 » October 18th, 2018, 12:44 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Has anyone here played the Fire Emblem games? How would you say they stack up against Final Fantasy Tactics? I've looked at screenshots, and the battlefields all look completely flat-- which to me is a good thing. The layered and sloping battlefields of FFT are a little hard to navigate, especially since there's no top down view. Just the slanted isometric one.


I've only played them in rom format on the nintendo DS and GBA. They're kind of a mix between Shining Force and FFT. They have a more simplistic combat style like shining force. No jobs, simple equipment and attacks. But the style is more serious and characters can actually die, like in FFT. I've beaten 2 of them with very little issue, so they are definitely not as hard as FFT.

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 885
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Easy SRPGs?

Postby Retro STrife » October 18th, 2018, 10:11 am

While mentioning good SRPGs here, I'd put the Disgaea series near the top of the list too. Its gameplay is great and it takes a humorous tone to the story and characters. The only one I've played is Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness on the PSP, but it was very good.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Has anyone here played the Fire Emblem games? How would you say they stack up against Final Fantasy Tactics? I've looked at screenshots, and the battlefields all look completely flat-- which to me is a good thing. The layered and sloping battlefields of FFT are a little hard to navigate, especially since there's no top down view. Just the slanted isometric one.


Haven't played Fire Emblem, but, to be honest, I like the varied terrain in FFT because it adds more strategy to how you move around and which characters you use. It's weird at first but you get used to it.

I'd add this point about the game -- while I do love the FFT gameplay, I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best ever for an SRPG.. I'm sure there could be a better one out there. No, to me, what elevates FFT above everything else is the storyline. It really reminds me of Game of Thrones -- lots of twists and turns, and you really get attached to and invested in the characters, and always wondering what happens next. For a game from the 90s that was impressive, and it still holds up today.


Return to “Video Games General”