Dave, NASCAR?

General and high profile video game topics.
zetax

Dave, NASCAR?

Postby zetax » October 19th, 2018, 10:25 pm

I was looking at some used Wii games at GameStop the other night, and wanted to do some "research" on a game, and after a site search realized the critic has never reviewed a NASCAR game. That was surprising, considering the many racing game reviews including F1, Rally, and Indy games...

Dave, what gives?

P.S. - Daytona USA doesn't count!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Dave, NASCAR?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 20th, 2018, 9:04 am

Despite being a lover of all sports including Sprint Cars and F1, I've never delved into Nascar. However, I am willing to learn!

If anyone has a good "starter" Nascar game I'd be happy to give it a spin. However, isn't Nascar season coming to an end soon?

Voor

Postby Voor » October 20th, 2018, 10:11 am

I’m familiar with NASCAR, but can someone educate me about F1? I know there are specific rules and a special “turbo” battery, but I don’t know how any of that’s implemented.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 20th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Somewhat related, I don't think the critic has ever reviewed a wrestling game?

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 20th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Ok, I found a review in the Dreamcast section for WWF Attitude. I'll just shut my mouth then :p

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 20th, 2018, 8:41 pm

NASCAR Dirt to Daytona is probably the best of the older console titles. It has a lot of variety thanks to including four different NASCAR series, including dirt tracks.

It runs well, looks good, has one of the best career modes in any racing game, and has a fun challenge mode that places you in various scenarios.

And the physics are solid, yet not overdone with too much realism. Very accessible and plays nicely with the GameCube controller (I believe it's also on PS2).

For current gen, the latest NASCAR game is easily the best. After a bit of a rough start, this developer now has a solid game with their 3rd PS4/XB1 game, NASCAR Heat 3. It has dirt tracks, too.

Voor wrote:I’m familiar with NASCAR, but can someone educate me about F1? I know there are specific rules and a special “turbo” battery, but I don’t know how any of that’s implemented.

It's called the Kinetic energy recovery system, or KERS. Under braking, a flywheel is enabled that helps slow the car down by creating drag while generating electricity that is then stored in batteries. The driver can later press a button on the wheel to get a temporary power boost.

The other modern gimmick to help increase overtaking is the movable rear wing. If you're within one second of a car in front of you at a specific point on the track, you can press a button on your wheel to flatten out the rear wing on the following straightaway to reduce drag and increase your speed. The wing is restored to its normal position when the driver gets on the brakes for the next corner.

GTS

Postby GTS » October 20th, 2018, 10:56 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a review for the very first one: Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge for the NES. It sells for about $5.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 23rd, 2018, 11:15 am

I'd love to see a review of Bill Elliott's as well! That was a game I had to track down once I started collecting for the NES. This strongly coincides with the video game memories topic for me, as I remember a good friend and his dad completing the entire Daytona 500 (all 200 laps - and winning) on that game. It took them almost 4 fours, and they would pause and pass the controller between them when their hands got tired. It amazed me, since my dad had no interest in video games!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 4th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Been playing NASCAR Heat 4 on the Xbox One lately and just noticed last night that it has split screen multiplayer. That should please the Critic if he ever pursues a modern NASCAR game. Local multiplayer is sadly a real rarity in recent years outside of Mario Kart style games.

And I've mentioned it before, but it also has lots of dirt racing thanks to including a late model dirt stock car series alongside NASCAR's truck, Xfinity, and Cup series (And obviously the truck division also races at Tony Stewart's Eldora dirt track).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCkG2E6dRU

Not a bad way to go if someone like the Critic doesn't like to download games, but was interested in the same developer's recent Tony Stewart Sprint Car game that's sadly a digital exclusive.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » March 4th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Not a typical NASCAR game, but I really like "NASCAR Rumble" (PS1). If you ever wanted to see a more Mario Kart-ish NASCAR game, look no further. And for the record, I loved NASCAR when I was a kid. And part of it may have stemmed from playing "NASCAR 2000" (N64) which came out around the same time. Both games would be welcome additions to the site IMO.

Return to “Video Games General”