Games that waste your time?

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Re: Games that waste your time?

Postby CharlieR » October 24th, 2018, 9:48 am

I remember Yakuza 4 or 5 on PS3 was like this. The street fights were the most interesting part of the game for me, but they were few and far between in my opinion. It has been a few years since I played it, but I remember some fat guy hanging from a rope, and you had to save him in some quick time event. A lot of times in the games I was left wanting more street fights, and wondering why some of the things in the game were even important.

This is an interesting topic because some things can be seen as just a flatout waste of time, while others can be seen as a waste of time, but are integral to the gameplay. For example, the critic mentioned Monster Hunter. I’m in no way defending Monster Hunter here, but the things you do in the game are important to the game. Things like gathering materials may be really slow, but they are important to the game. If a game has you doing menial tasks like vacuum cleaning, mowing the lawn, etc., then they are wasting time.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » October 24th, 2018, 11:20 am

Any sports games, I just don't get it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 24th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Stalvern wrote:I have a secret for you guys.

All video games waste your time.

:o .... :cry:

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 24th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Good topic. As someone who dislikes long games (under 10 hours sounds great to me), I really dislike games that artificially extend the gameplay by wasting your time. To me, the gaming media (magazines, websites, etc.) is the main cause of this problem... I started noticing in the 2000s that professional critics were finding less games that were outright "bad games" so they had to start finding ways to differentiate a good game from a great game.. well, having a long campaign started becoming something they were really harping on. Developers needed to produce at least 15-20 hours of gameplay to get into critics' good graces... a tightly-scripted 12 hour campaign was somehow seen as a negative. Giant games, say 40, 50, 100 hours, basically got bonus points for the great value they provided. Developers realize that "better review scores = better sales" (and staying in business) and so in turn started lengthening campaigns. In today's world, where development is so expensive, that often meant lazy ways of extending the campaign "artificially" to hit that 15-20 hour mark. Things like:

-long fetch quests
-excessive backtracking
-excessive grinding
-games with large worlds where you trek very long distances between objectives, without much to do between them

And so, campaigns became much longer in the 2000s than they were in the 80s and 90s, despite games taking much more time and money to produce. That was my observation anyway of what happened, and the reason why. Fortunately though, I think critics have lightened up on that requirement in recent years. Maybe the prevalence of short digital games has helped. Media in general is in smaller chunks these days, such as many TV shows proving that sometimes 10 episode seasons are better than the old-school 22 episode seasons. Maybe gaming critics finally realized that people have busy lives and don't want every game to be 25 hours.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 24th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Agreed with RetroStrife, for the most part. I like games that are compact but replayable. Chrono Trigger comes to mind as a great example of this.

But I also think the long form approach can be done well and without padding! Dragon Quest games - sure there are a lot of battles, but the grind is part of the fun if you like these games - are LOADED with unique content. Every town you come across has a whole new set of characters and stories and the side quests they offer are usually a mere one or two steps.

Return to “Video Games General”