Atari 2600 Reviews

General and high profile video game topics.
idunnowhy

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby idunnowhy » April 10th, 2005, 4:05 pm

Every time I see new Atari 2600 reviews posted (and the same goes for most of the other really old systems), I make a mental bet with myself that none of them will score higher than a D.  To my satisfaction, I'm almost always right!  Why do  you keep reviewing these games that, by now, you must know will be terrible?  For pure sadistic pleasure?  To create a comprehensive review list?  Do you actually seek out and buy these games that you must assume will be utter trash?

Im just curious...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 10th, 2005, 6:43 pm

The reason I'm re-reviewing so many Atari 2600 games is because a lot of those were written in 1999/2000, before I had much writing experience. I want to get those reviews up to snuff, to better match my newer reviews. Occasionally I'll even change the grade if I feel moved to. Not sure why so many have been getting low grades lately. Maybe I didn't put much effort into reviewing the "bad" games the first time around.

blaster

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby blaster » April 10th, 2005, 6:49 pm

Changing Space Jockey from an F to a D- you were just being too kind.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 10th, 2005, 10:38 pm

[QUOTE=blaster]Changing Space Jockey from an F to a D- you were just being too kind.[/QUOTE]

I think that high score feature pushed me over the edge.

sega saturn x

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » April 10th, 2005, 11:20 pm

When hes buying a new game its not like he knows its going to suck only after playing can you find that out.

Space Guppy

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby Space Guppy » April 11th, 2005, 3:08 am

I'm sure if Dave's digging in the bargain bin and finds an Atari cartridge labeled ".25" in day-glo crayon, manufactured by "Froggo" or some other third party outfit nobody ever heard of, he pretty much knows its going to be crap. He must relish those moments or he's an impulse buyer, because he'll buy the damn thing either way. I salute his pioneering spirit. Next time Space War is back up for further pondering I expect an invitation

Alienblue

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby Alienblue » April 11th, 2005, 7:12 am

Hey, there are as many DECENT 2600 games as POOR
ones and as many GREAT (Pitfall 2, MS.Pac Man)
games as GARBAGE!

Space Guppy

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby Space Guppy » April 11th, 2005, 1:20 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Hey, there are as many DECENT 2600 games as POOR
ones and as many GREAT (Pitfall 2, MS.Pac Man)
games as GARBAGE![/QUOTE]

You're right. And I never intended to imply there aren't great games on the 2600. All I'm saying is that Dave seems to have a penchant for the bad ones. He's even admitted it's more fun to review a crappy game

Kroozer

Atari 2600 Reviews

Postby Kroozer » April 11th, 2005, 10:22 pm

I wouldn't be too harsh on the critics rating on some (actually a LOT) of the 2600 titles.  A lot of the titles were very crappy, thats part of the reason the market crashed in 83-84.

[QUOTE=idunnowhy]

Every time I see new Atari 2600 reviews posted (and the same goes for most of the other really old systems), I make a mental bet with myself that none of them will score higher than a D.  To my satisfaction, I'm almost always right!  Why do  you keep reviewing these games that, by now, you must know will be terrible?  For pure sadistic pleasure?  To create a comprehensive review list?  Do you actually seek out and buy these games that you must assume will be utter trash?

Im just curious...
[/QUOTE]

Return to “Video Games General”