New thumbs up/down feature?

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: New thumbs up/down feature?

Postby Breaker » November 24th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Rev wrote:-perhaps instead of allowing comments on a review you could provide a link at the bottom of each review that links to the threads that you always post for your reviews in?
-

I second this idea, and suggested it on a different thread many moons ago. It would drive forum traffic if there was a link at the bottom of the review that led directly to the thread that the VGC always starts when a new review has been posted. He was complaining recently that responses to his reviews are becoming infrequent. This would likely change that.

I don't think a thumbs-up/down would add anything that the voter grades don't already capture.

Mati

Postby Mati » November 24th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Breaker wrote:
Rev wrote:-perhaps instead of allowing comments on a review you could provide a link at the bottom of each review that links to the threads that you always post for your reviews in?
-

I second this idea, and suggested it on a different thread many moons ago. It would drive forum traffic if there was a link at the bottom of the review that led directly to the thread that the VGC always starts when a new review has been posted. He was complaining recently that responses to his reviews are becoming infrequent. This would likely change that.

I don't think a thumbs-up/down would add anything that the voter grades don't already capture.

After thinking about it more I agree with a direct link to the proper forum thread to increase forum traffic. I've noticed on other sites, like NintendoLife, that a local comments section below a feature can be scrumptious, irresistible troll bait that's difficult to manage.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » November 25th, 2018, 3:27 am

I always thought it would be cool if the reviews featured links to the forum threads the critic creates about them.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 26th, 2018, 3:35 am

I'd prefer people who want to talk about the reviews have to do the work of thinking about where to do it, and putting forth the effort.

It's a filter against people who'd just spam their gut reactions all over the place, and means the quality of conversation here is generally higher than places like Youtube and Reddit.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 28th, 2018, 12:07 am

I mean, maybe we'd have the universal drop in intelligence in the comments that a place like reddit has simply by including the link to the forums, but as the reviews span 1st gen to current I doubt there are too many "popular this moment" reddit-level trolls here, except for possibly when the VGC reviews a PS4/XBONE/Switch game. If the trolls show up, it can always be changed back.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 28th, 2018, 2:13 am

I really like the idea that several have mentioned here of just including a link to the Review Feedback topic for the game right alongside the review. For starters, it has the potential to add more members to the community here, which is always a good thing... A lot of your readers probably never bother to view the forums, or never thought to join-- but the direct link might help. If someone has a strong positive/negative reaction to one of your new reviews, that might be the incentive they finally need to join the forum here.

As to a thumb up/down feature (or anything similar), I agree with the others here that it will be too vague to derive much info from and/or too difficult to moderate. As an alternative, how about including a poll in your Review Feedback topic? That way you can get positive/negative feedback from readers who are willing to take a quick poll, but don't have much to add in writing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I think I can implement that direct link to comments programmatically. Stay tuned and thanks for the feedback!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 29th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I just spent an hour or two trying to get the "go to feedback for this game" feature working, but no luck.

What I did was try to insert of View Comments link under each review. This would kick off a search of the system and game, taking the first result and forwarding you to that topic.

It worked to some degree, but would frequently take you to the wrong topic - not sure why. Would probably take a while to figure out.

Another big problem was that reviews from the pre-late 2000's do not have topic threads. I think that's because I was using another message board back then. So even if I got it working, I'd probably only be able to include links to more recent reviews.

So I'm going to give up on this idea for now. May revisit in the future.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » November 29th, 2018, 9:09 pm

No thumbs up/down feature please, I have a theory that it is ruining society.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 30th, 2018, 8:59 am

Hagane wrote:No thumbs up/down feature please, I have a theory that it is ruining society.

Thumbs up to this comment...oh wait...

Return to “Video Games General”