Game of the Year 2018?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Game of the Year 2018?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 11th, 2018, 10:00 pm

My choice for Game of the Year 2018 has to go to Axiom Verge (Switch). This Metroid clone had me riveted from beginning to end, with ingenious gameplay (cause glitches on purpose!), gorgeously pixelated 2D visuals, and an outstanding soundtrack.

What are your picks?

Robotrek

Re: Game of the Year 2018?

Postby Robotrek » December 11th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Axiom Verge is a 2015 game, even if the Switch port was late.

Everybody is going to say Red Dead, because it IS a masterpiece. But I'd have to say GoW (Ps4) did great for me and takes my spot.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » December 12th, 2018, 7:03 am

My vote is for Elektronite's Miner 2049er for the Intellivision. With all the original levels of this classic game PLUS several new ones I have been playing the dickens out of this game this fall. Expertly programmed, the games plays perfectly with the Intellivision controllers.

Highly recommended!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 12th, 2018, 10:05 am

Fortnite. I've seen a couple gaming sites give the award to Fortnite, and after reflection, I agree 100%.

Yes, RDR2 would be an easy choice, because it's a huge, expertly-crafted game. Fortnite is much simpler and straightforward, but that's not always a bad thing. There is a reason this game has become a phenomenon -- it has a great free model so anyone can play (yet still making tons of money on cosmetic upgrades -- a very fair tradeoff), its gameplay and map is actually much deeper than it looks and constantly evolving, and, most importantly, it's a blast to play. Last year, PlayersUnknown Battlegrounds (PUBG) seemed unstoppable in the battle royale genre, but Fortnite took the concept and put it into an even better package, and now it's the biggest game in the world. For better or worse, it's the most influential game of the year and will impact the shooter market for years to come. On top of that, thinking objectively, it's probably the most pure fun I've had playing a game this year. And please note -- I am barely an FPS or TPS fan at all, I'm not a fan of competitive online shooters, and I completely suck killing anyone in Fortnite. Yet, still love the game. For those reasons, I think it deserves the recognition.

There is a legitimate dispute, though, as to whether it's a 2017 or 2018 game. While the game was technically released in 2017, it was not considered for reviews and gaming awards from most media outlets last year because it was in "early access" mode. I'm not sure if it's still in early access, but either way, the media now treats it as a completed game, so I believe many are considering it a 2018 game.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 12th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Since my 'newest' gaming platform is still the Nintendo 3DS I haven't played many new games this year... However, I enjoyed two games that were released this year quite a lot:
* Steamworld Dig 2
* WarioWare Gold

Voor

Postby Voor » December 12th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Re: Fortnite, do people actually pay real money for cosmetic upgrades? I guess I’m just old....I don’t understand.

With everyone flicking to battle royale games, I wonder how Halo, Overwatch, COD, and the like are doing?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 12th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Voor wrote:Re: Fortnite, do people actually pay real money for cosmetic upgrades? I guess I’m just old....I don’t understand.

I have never paid a dime on Fortnite upgrades. However, there are special costumes for your character which cost like $15 each. That's too steep for me, but many people consider it a must-have item. If you don't have a special costume, and just use the regular plain old Fortnite character, then the other players refer to you as a "no skin" - the equivalent of being a noob, and it signifies to others that you probably suck at the game. It's pretty amazing that Fortnite has built up this culture where you want to pay $15 just so people will think you're a better player. Paying that money makes you cooler I guess, because now you're one of the "skins". But hey - credit to Fortnite for creating a model where they are making boatloads of money on a free game with downloadable items, without the items having any effect on gameplay (i.e., this is not a pay-to-win situation, which is what we often criticize microtransactions for on this forum).

GTS

Postby GTS » December 12th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Fortnite has obviously had a huge impact on the industry. I've read that player counts/sales are lower on many new AAA releases because people continue to play Fortnite in high numbers. Can a game be so successful that it damages the entire industry? More to come.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 12th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Absolutely no brainer here, between two games:

Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War

If I had to choose, God of War takes it by a hair. A masterpiece.

VideoGameCritic wrote:My choice for Game of the Year 2018 has to go to Axiom Verge (Switch). This Metroid clone had me riveted from beginning to end, with ingenious gameplay (cause glitches on purpose!), gorgeously pixelated 2D visuals, and an outstanding soundtrack.
What are your picks?

Axiom Verge is a pretty awesome game, an all time favorite of mine.
But I am pretty sure I bought this on Steam two or three years ago. I do not think this game is a 2018 release.

JWK

Postby JWK » December 15th, 2018, 7:10 pm

God of War for me. No doubt.

Return to “Video Games General”