EA Squanders Star Wars License

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

EA Squanders Star Wars License

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Never give a big license to EA, because they will either sit on or kill it.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/ ... comments=1

It was bad enough EA ruined NFL video games (and other sports); now they are doing the same thing with Star Wars.
Since getting the exclusive license, what have they done? Two marginal Battlefield games??

I wish these companies wouldn't give grant these deals to EA, but sadly it's all about money.

DrLitch

Re: EA Squanders Star Wars License

Postby DrLitch » January 16th, 2019, 8:10 pm

When was the last actual good Star Wars game anyway? I am thinking perhaps KOTOR2 way back in the mid 2000's.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 16th, 2019, 10:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Never give a big license to EA, because they will either sit on or kill it.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/ ... comments=1

It was bad enough EA ruined NFL video games (and other sports); now they are doing the same thing with Star Wars.
Since getting the exclusive license, what have they done? Two marginal Battlefield games??

I wish these companies wouldn't give grant these deals to EA, but sadly it's all about money.

Also EA did Mobile Star Wars games, but that is it.

About EA with exclusive license, you are not wrong about that because look at them with The Simpsons franchise in video games, other then the good Simpsons game in 2007, and mobile titles up to the recent Tapped Out game. They would not bother to do another big console/handheld Simpsons game as they did canceled The Simpsons Game 2 in 2011 to make room for other projects shows you just how well they handle them. Heck, EA is the reason why Konami could not keep The Simpsons Arcade game on PSN/XBLA download for long, shows just how bad the exclusive license deals are with them. I would kill for a remaster port of The Simpsons Game for PC/PS4/Xbox One and Switch, but considering they killed Visceral Games formerly EA Redwood Shores. It likely never going to happen as they want to force micro-transactions/loot boxes with live services games.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » January 16th, 2019, 11:04 pm

DrLitch wrote:When was the last actual good Star Wars game anyway? I am thinking perhaps KOTOR2 way back in the mid 2000's.
The Force Unleashed was pretty good. I never played the sequel so I can't comment on that but it's probably pretty fun too.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » January 17th, 2019, 6:36 am

Loads of great star wars games. Loads. Republic commando, 2 force unleashed. Umpteen ones for the hand helds. All stopped and now we have two really average MMO shooters. I got one as the critic say it was quite good with his C rating. I give it an F. Did not bother with the lootbox laden sequel.
EA is all about the money and the loot boxes. That is why there games are trash. Last game I purchases from them? Peggle a couple of years back.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 17th, 2019, 11:58 am

DrLitch wrote:When was the last actual good Star Wars game anyway? I am thinking perhaps KOTOR2 way back in the mid 2000's.

The real Star Wars Battlefront by Pandemic

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » January 18th, 2019, 5:25 am

Gentlegamer wrote:

The real Star Wars Battlefront by Pandemic

I agree. It was such a good series. Then they called that s*** they made battlefronts. I was like why are they same thing. Star wars boredom would be a better title.
It was like they never played any of the original games or watched the movies.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » January 18th, 2019, 1:31 pm

EA was going to blow it regardless of whether or not the game still happened, I believe.

Sad but true, if it's not well before soon, sooner, or later it was doomed.

This is literally the worst software company on the face of the planet.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Hardcore Sadism wrote:EA was going to blow it regardless of whether or not the game still happened, I believe.

Sad but true, if it's not well before soon, sooner, or later it was doomed.

This is literally the worst software company on the face of the planet.

How true, especially with their incompetence.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » February 8th, 2019, 3:48 pm

https://nerdybirdgames.com/2019/02/07/e ... -it-wasnt/

Not about the Star Wars games, but EA must think we're brain dead idiots to ignore the fact they told us to screw off if we don't like what we see right? No it isn't the fact they spit venom at anyone who doesn't have the money to throw frivolous lawsuits around, for daring to criticize a recycled and brand-swapped game even the average AAA-consumer don't care about? It's just too bad there are people who ARE dumb enough to eat the blatant insults and deflection, call others "adults in diapers" for not white knighting corporations. Go on say we hate your target groups, it's in the amendment to do so, just don't call your customers wrong and expect nothing to come out of that.

Return to “Video Games General”