Hollow Knight - Can we convince VGC to download a game?

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie

Re: Hollow Knight - Can we convince VGC to download a game?

Postby velcrozombie » February 18th, 2019, 10:00 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I reached some mushroom area where I can't do anything because there are black geysers blocking stuff off.

I'm playing without referencing any guides (and I'm just doing some mopping up at this point before I finish the game) so don't take this as gospel, but I don't think they can be turned off. Every time I've encountered a black barrier I've had to find a way around (and I always have so far, with one exception). The barrier in the mushroom section was the first one I found and I didn't find a way around it until much later - I think I needed a new type of movement mechanic to reach an alternate path. Also remember that there are plenty of breakable walls (usually in corners or empty ledges) and sometimes there's a hidden passage when you just press forward without having to break anything.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 19th, 2019, 12:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I reached some mushroom area where I can't do anything because there are black geysers blocking stuff off.

Like any good Metroidvania, you'll need a specific power up to get past the black waterfalls. You'll get to that point. I'm honestly surprised that you're having a rough go of it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 26th, 2019, 4:32 pm

For anyone interested in Hollow Knight and looking for an excuse to take the plunge - it's currently on sale for $7.50 on PS4 for PS+ members. I'll probably download it this week while it's cheap and then stow it away in the backlog for awhile.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » February 26th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Retro STrife wrote:For anyone interested in Hollow Knight and looking for an excuse to take the plunge - it's currently on sale for $7.50 on PS4 for PS+ members. I'll probably download it this week while it's cheap and then stow it away in the backlog for awhile.

I was just coming to post this very thing. If the VGC would give out his PS4 account name/tag, someone would probably go ahead and buy it for him just so he can give it a spin.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Not necessary! I've been playing it for 10+ hours and still enjoying it!

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 27th, 2019, 4:08 pm

I'm 10+ hours in and I can't wait to get even a few minutes of it every day. I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface, which is fantastic news considering how much I'm enjoying it...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 5th, 2019, 9:18 pm

This game is kicking my ass. I got in the Crystal Mines, and just died with about 1500 geo on me... which I could not retrieve!
ARRRGGH! Maybe this belongs in the painful thread.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm

I just lost 1200 yesterday in the area with the organ music, and it honestly had me pissed at the whole mechanic of losing Geo if you can't get back to it in one shot. I think later on you can use an item to retrieve lost Geo without having to go kill your shadow (I think I read it was the Rancid Egg, somehow) , but I don't for sure yet, so now I've become obsessed with putting any reasonable amount of money in the bank for safe keeping, which of course takes significant extra time. But I'm still craving this game constantly, so the good is FAR out weighing the bad...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 6th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:But I'm still craving this game constantly, so the good is FAR out weighing the bad...

Hollow Knight or Axiom Verge? Which are you all preferring? I've bought both, but haven't started playing either one yet.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 6th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:But I'm still craving this game constantly, so the good is FAR out weighing the bad...

Hollow Knight or Axiom Verge? Which are you all preferring? I've bought both, but haven't started playing either one yet.

The only difference between the two, for me, was that Axiom Verge IMMEDIATELY had a strangle hold on me, while Hollow Knight took a little time before it had me hooked. If memory of my initial weeks with Axiom Verge serves me correctly, I am just as infatuated with Hollow Knight as I was with Axiom Verge. Staying up later than the rest of my family to make sure I have some alone time with it, thinking about it while I'm at work, all the same tendencies I had with Axiom Verge, and I love them. I love feeling this way about a game. I hate having to force myself to find something that I can "decide" to get hooked on. I want a game to force its way into my psyche.

Return to “Video Games General”