3DS on the way out? Recommendations?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

3DS on the way out? Recommendations?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 8th, 2019, 2:51 pm

This article did not come as a surprise. As the Switch has grown in popularity, the 3DS has diminished. Seems like common sense considering all the overlap!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/ ... comments=1

I do feel like I've neglected the 3DS library over the last few years. Any good titles I should try to pick up while they're still readily available?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 3DS on the way out? Recommendations?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 10th, 2019, 3:52 am

According to Kirby's dedicated fans on Youtube, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, with their dueling themes of nature and machine, might be the best in the series. But these are people who care about the series lore, and run detailed breakdowns of the power-ups.

They're surely a bit mad.

I'd also recommend every 16-bit title M2 ever developed on the system, if at all possible. They're one of the few developers who know they're competing with emulation, and go out of their way to make a purchase worth your while. There's a Japanese retail release of all 3 of their collections, complete with the collection exclusives, if you're willing to import. You can purchase the second collection here, but not the first or the third.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 10th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Is it okay if I break these up into smaller posts? I'm still learning about the 3ds library.

Anyways: Ocarina of Time. This is now considered the definitive version, thanks to streamlined item swapping, a smoother frame rate, and the overall presentation. There's been a passionate backlash against it, lately, and it'll be interesting to see whether you join that camp, or find that some things still aged well, even if it's not "the best game of all time" its fans originally claimed it to be.

Also, I don't know whether to include online only recommendations, after the Hollow Knight thread, but the first Gunman Clive is a great retro throwback that's only $2. And unlike Hollow Knight, you'll immediately know whether its for you or not.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 10th, 2019, 5:42 pm

I played Ocarina of Time 3D all the way through about a year ago and still loved it. It was my first play through of the game since it was a few months old on the Nintendo 64 and held my attention so much that I tracked down every last heart piece and so on. I didn't even do that back in 1999.

My one issue isn't even the game's fault. I tended to hit the wrong buttons at times, sometimes hitting the action button instead of the button for my sword and vice versa. Not sure if was memory of the Nintendo 64 game making me go for the wrong button at times or what it was, but I kept doing it all the way through.

Hoping to hear of Nintendo getting Grezzo to update these 3DS conversions even further and release an Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask collection on the Switch, since my only real complaint was that these couldn't be enjoyed on my television screen. Maybe now that they're approaching the bottom of the Wii U well, we'll start to see some 3DS ports to fill the gaps in their release calendar.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » February 11th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Some titles:

Metroid Prime Federation Force
Shinobi 3D
Castlevania Mirror of Fate
Kirby Planet Robobot

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 12th, 2019, 11:53 am

Recommendations list complete with notes in no particular order:

Castlevania Mirror of Fate
Shifting World
Shinobi
Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (Fatal Frame spin off)
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (You may like this version more then the Wii U original so give it a try?)
Tekken 3D Prime Edition
Tetris Axis
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Music games based on the franchise of the same name.)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (If you can not find the Wii version.)
Pet Zombies (You love Zombies do you critic.)
Scooby-Doo! & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe: Adventure
Crash City Mayhem
Alien Chaos 3D
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy+ (make sure you get this over Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy 2011 version as this is the better version)
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! (A good Zelda 2 style game and the best game with the license.)
Boulder Dash-XL 3D
Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot and Battle Royale
CRUSH3D
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash
Corpse Party (Rare and expensive but a great Halloween game!)
Disney Magical World 1 and 2
Detective Pikachu
LBX: Little Battlers eXperience
Cubic Ninja
Culdcept Revolt
Frogger 3D
Angler's Club: Ultimate Bass Fishing 3D
Ultimate NES Remix (You may like this version more then the Wii U original so give it a try?)
Ever Oasis
DualPenSports
Doodle Jump Adventures and Cut the Rope: Triple Treat (Mobile ports and great way to experience these games without playing the mobile versions critic.)
River City: Rival Showdown
Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D
Jake Hunter Detective Story: Ghost of the Dusk
Jewel Master: Cradle of Egypt 2 3D and Cradle of Rome 2
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Project X Zone 1 and 2
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
WarioWare Gold
Mario Party: The Top 100 (Mini Games collection of the Mario Party series!)
Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi
Heroes of Ruin
Mario Sports Superstars
Hey! Pikmin
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (Rare and expensive but must play!)
Rabbids Travel in Time 3D (Different from console version.)
Miitopia
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (best game in the series to get into if you are having trouble with the others.)
LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins (3DS prequel to LEGO City Undercover.)
Final Fantasy Explorers (A more accessible Monster Hunter Clone for those that have trouble getting into the said series.)
Pokemon Rumble Blast and Rumble World
Mahjong Cub3d (developed by Sunsoft)
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (best game in the sub series BTW critic)
Sonic: Lost World (You may like this version more then the Wii U original so give it a try?)
Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets (only reason to look into it is it runs on the UbiArt Framework Engine the same one that powered both Rayman Origins and Legends.)
Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario series games (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey, Dream Team, Paper Jam, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star.)
Mystery Dungeon games (Etrian and both Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.)
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures and Naruto Powerful Shippuden (both made by the great Inti Creates and the 3DS version of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures is completely different from the console game FYI!)
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (part of the Senran Kagura series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senran_Kagura, the prequel is sadly download only in the US, other games on PS Vita, PS4, Switch.)

Note I did not list certain games because some of them are download only, shovelware, most RPGs save for a few exceptions, or got superior Switch remaster ports such as Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack and Code of Princess EX which I will recommend critic reviewing the Switch versions over the 3DS versions, or other remasters like Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance for the PS4, etc.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 18th, 2019, 6:39 am

What people still play hand helds? I have a tablet. I do not need a hand held gaming device.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 18th, 2019, 10:06 am

Touch screen controls are the worst.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 18th, 2019, 8:01 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Touch screen controls are the worst.

Agree!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 7th, 2021, 9:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Touch screen controls are the worst.

Agreed also. I stopped playing games on my tablets. The controls are atrocious. The accelerometers are fun but in races you are normally in last place.

Return to “Video Games General”