What ever happened to arcade style racing games?

General and high profile video game topics.
PAAGaming

Re: What ever happened to arcade style racing games?

Postby PAAGaming » March 16th, 2019, 3:09 am

To me Horizon Chase doesn’t really feel like Outrun. It feels kind of boring in comparison. Don’t really know why, it just does. It seems to lack character.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 16th, 2019, 2:24 pm

PAAGaming wrote:To me Horizon Chase doesn’t really feel like Outrun. It feels kind of boring in comparison. Don’t really know why, it just does. It seems to lack character.

It's more intended as a spiritual sequel to Top Gear for the Super Nintendo rather than Sega's Outrun. Tons of nods to it, including the soundtrack that was composed by the same person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uslMynhEKnY&t=574s

If the Critic is missing arcade games, I suggest buying Top Gear and experiencing one of the best sprite scaling racers of all-time (I assume he isn't familiar with it since it's never been reviewed here). :)

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » March 16th, 2019, 2:30 pm

I've been on the fence about Horizon Chase. It seems like a racer I would enjoy, but watching videos of it, it seems a little on the simple side and thus maybe boring. Yet there are some favorable reviews. So I didn't buy it yet. Anybody want to sing praises or burn effigies if the game?

zetax

Postby zetax » March 16th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Besides Onrush there's Grip (spiritual successor to the Rollcage games), Trailblazers (arcade racer with Splatoon-like ground painting mechanic), and (coming next month) Dangerous Driving (spiritual successor to the Burnout games). None are particularly high-profile games, but I hope to pick-up one or two of them.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » March 22nd, 2019, 2:13 am

Dangerous Driving looks great. It seems like it will scratch that Burnout/Flatout itch.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 4th, 2019, 12:58 am

Just a head's up:

Riptide Renegade is only $4 at the Switch e-shop, if you're looking for an over the top, arcade racer, and don't mind a serious challenge. Think a utopian/post apocalyptic Wave Race, and you won't be far off. One of the stages has you crashing through the perfect city of tomorrow, another has you racing over the cars in flooded highways, with storm swept waves launching you high into the sky. That kind of thing.

But I'm not kidding about the challenge. The first set of races are just there to build your confidence up. The second you leave them, a single crash means you'll probably never see the first or second place racer again. There's some light RPG elements to help you out, but I'm not sure how much grinding would be involved to get the difficulty down to where you can afford to make a serious mistake.

It's still showing the mobile roots, even if they've gutted microtransactions out of it.

But to me...it just feels like a big, expensive arcade machine that really wants my quarter, you know? This would have been at home in any mall.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » April 16th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Horizon Chase Turbo is up for pre order on Amazon for $29.99 for both PS4 and Switch versions. Release date is July 30.

And if you believe the reviews, it looks like Xenon Racer is a dud, especially the Switch version which apparently has a bunch of technical issues.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » April 16th, 2019, 6:32 pm

I always loved the lighthearted, carefree nature of arcade racing games. Bright colors, groovy music, and a general layer of cheesiness just added so much to the atmosphere. You're in an arcade - relax, kick back, and have a good time.

Heck, some of the games even made you feel good when you lose. Sega Rally is probably the all-time greatest example of this, and anybody who's played it knows what I'm talking about. Down to your last quarter, and the timer just ran out on you? Don't sweat it, man: "GAME OV-AH, YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"

Always, **ALWAYS** brought a smile to my face :D

Return to “Video Games General”