Wolfenstien New Blood physical Switch copy is a scam

General and high profile video game topics.
Crummylion

Wolfenstien New Blood physical Switch copy is a scam

Postby Crummylion » April 6th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Remember how Bethesda partnered up with Nintendo to bring as many of their games to the Switch as they can? That was a great deal, but a few of their games required you to connect to the internet just to get the rest of the game. Now they're pulling this again with the new Wolfenstien game. But get this, according to Gamestop and Amazon, there is no physical game in the box. You are just paying for the box and maybe a piece of paper with a code on it. Not the first time that happened, since Cuphead on Xbox had only posters and a code and Fortnite was just a box with a dlc code. Having no physical media in your physical version is completely pointless and a middle finger to game collectors.
https://www.amazon.com/Wolfenstein-Youn ... 4245248841
https://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo ... fzcfh5daua

pacman000

Re: Wolfenstien New Blood physical Switch copy is a scam

Postby pacman000 » April 7th, 2019, 10:50 am

Got some software like that as a gift. Had to take my PC to work to download it; home internet's fine for web surfing, but is not downloading large files.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2019, 8:30 pm

This is inexcusable. Publishers could get away with shady practices like this on the PS4/XboxOne because they had big hard drives and most gamers expect big downloads anyway.

But the Switch doesn't even have that much room. My friend Brent bought Doom on the Switch, and the download portion pretty much filled up his system's memory!

Let's not support this garbage.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 8th, 2019, 7:58 pm

This is certainly an unacceptable situation, but let's be sure to always remember that this is ABSOLUTELY Nintendo's fault, not that of the publisher. The maximum size of a Switch cartridge is 32GB, which is only a fraction of the size of a contemporary AAA release. It's not the publisher's fault that the product they created will not fit in the package provided by Nintendo. If Nintendo wanted to offer a 64GB cart option, they would. But they care more about cutting costs than they care about your experience.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » April 9th, 2019, 1:04 am

On the plus side, a Micro SD card to expand the system's memory is a very affordable option. I bought a Sandisk brand "ultra high-speed" 128 GB card from Best Buy last holiday season for $20, and it has been worth every penny. In fact, many games installed to the card seem to load faster than the games from an actual Switch cartridge.

While this doesn't excuse publishers for creating a "physical copy" with no cartridge inside, it does give the player more freedom to store games on the system. Yeah, Doom's patch is a whopper (over 8 gigs, if I remember right) but man, that is seriously one of the most impressive games on the system when it's up and running. With the SD card, I can even play a variety of download-only games I'd never be able to otherwise due to the puny built-in memory. Warframe, for example, is a monumental achievement on Switch, completely free with hours upon hours of content. Never would have been able to download it with the standard Switch memory (it takes up about 13 gigs) but with that memory card, I'm not sweating it.

I would like to play New Blood. I'm also content to wait until it's on sale on the eShop for $10 or less. When it is, I'll download it without a care in the world for how much space it takes up. I'll get it cheap, and have the storage for the download as well. Win-win, in my book 8-)

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 9th, 2019, 2:11 am

This has been happening here and there for years. The first run of DuckTales Remastered on the PS3 was this way for instance (Happily later rectified with a true disc release on multiple platforms).

Not a practice I'll support. If you're going to do a digital exclusive, at least be up front and honest about it. Instead, people inevitably get fooled when they don't read the fine print since there's no reason why they should read the fine print to ensure they're getting a physical game inside the case they just bought.

GTS

Postby GTS » April 9th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Horrible, horrible idea. Though, I'm pretty sure I've been seeing gameless Switch boxes for years at Gamestop.

Also, Nintendo tested the concept for Splatoon 2. It seems that a lot of companies are yearning for empty boxes so they can swell the profits as much as possible.
https://bgr.com/2017/05/22/nintendo-swi ... e-version/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2019, 10:26 am

I'm pretty sure Amazon has gotten burned for this in the past. I saw the listing for one game that explicitly said "you are getting a download code, not the actual game" as if they've already had a flood of returns.

Return to “Video Games General”