What do you like/dislike about the site?

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Re: What do you like/dislike about the site?

Postby CharlieR » April 15th, 2019, 2:45 pm

yea I just made a post on another thread and it went up right away. Neat.

There's nothing I really dislike. Sure, I may not agree with all the reviews, but that's nothing to complain about. That's what makes things interesting, and kind of leads into my main reason of why I like the site so much.

The reviews are very "everyman," if that makes any sense. They are quick and to the point, and don't waste time or words talking about the story or stuff surrounding the gameplay. They're a lot more informative than some of those "professional" reviews.

There's also a very tight-knit community around here that is very knowledgeable about games.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » April 16th, 2019, 9:48 am

Critic, I think you've addressed my 2 major gripes with the site: the delay in posting messages and the acknowledgement of the online/modern gaming complaints.

Being able to see your post right away will really increase the traffic here and encourage more discussions.

And I'm glad you've acknowledged the online/modern gaming thing. After awhile, it was starting to become annoying to be honest. I'm the same generation as you (I'm 44), so I get it, but we don't want to be old men yelling at clouds either!

Anyway, great work critic!

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 16th, 2019, 11:40 pm

How about a young man yelling at The Cloud? ;)

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 17th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I love how we can just come on here and talk about whatever video-game related things are on our mind. I also love how we make a conscious effort to keep religion and politics out of here (Sort of why sometimes I prefer Instagram over Facebook). I really don't see much disrespect on here, so the civility is very welcome. The internet has a way of getting grown adults acting like two year olds. Plus, the reviews are short, to the point, yet very colorful and humorous.

I only wish that we could post bigger pictures on here, since reducing the file size can be a royal pain, but I'd imagine that would make it very hard keeping this forum free.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 17th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Herschie wrote:I only wish that we could post bigger pictures on here, since reducing the file size can be a royal pain, but I'd imagine that would make it very hard keeping this forum free.

That's actually a pretty good point, which I agree with. If that is a limitation imposed by the forum host, then it's totally understandable why it is what it is. But if it's an easy setting to change, then I think it's a good idea.

As an aside, one work-around is to use the image URL, which allows you to post any size photo. The issue only comes up when you upload the photo from your computer to the forum.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 17th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Herschie wrote:As an aside, one work-around is to use the image URL, which allows you to post any size photo. The issue only comes up when you upload the photo from your computer to the forum.

I used to do that, but Photobucket is all over the place with allowing third-party hosting, and I like to upload screenshots.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 17th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Imgur's been the go-to host for several years now. Works for me.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 18th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Whoa, no more post approval? Let's get freaking crazy and blow bubbles, guys! <mod edited>

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 19th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Hagane wrote:It must be nitpicking, it's about the ratings, non americans don't understand much this american rating system: B+, C-, F+( why they don't use the letter E too? ), it's a weird rating system to fully understand, I think numbers or stars would have been more comprehensive: 7 out of 10, 7/10, 3.5 stars... :idea:

Think about it like this. C is right in the middle - an average game. "A" games are the best, and "F" games are the worst. In theory, there should be about the same number of A and F games, with the average being a C.

Also keep in mind the grades are relative to the system! It's hard to compare an Atari 2600 game to a PS4 title, so I compare games only to others on the same system.

When it comes to number scales or stars, they tend to be very arbitrary and subject to grade inflation. One reason I started this site is because I was tired of seeing all the games on other sites being rated "above average". I think that's bogus.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » April 21st, 2019, 8:33 am

I have always appreciated the short and concise reviews and cannot count the number of times I have used them when deciding many of my game purchases (particularly with Atari 5200 and Colecovision games as these were systems I acquired later on in my life and had no real knowledge of.)

I have no issues with this great site other than wondering when some of those holy grail Intellivision games (Spiker, Stadium Mud Buggies) might get a review. And Zenji for the Colecovision. I still have no idea what I'm doing when I play it.

Return to “Video Games General”