Are there any ways of limiting disc rott?

General and high profile video game topics.
Stalvern

Re: Are there any ways of limiting disc rott?

Postby Stalvern » April 24th, 2019, 3:14 am

Matchstick wrote:Heh, reminds me of a casual argument I had with my father years ago. He insisted he bought a few CDs when they were "brand new" back when he was in college in the 70s, even though he hadn't yet bought a CD player at the time. When I questioned him on this (not that I was alive back then to fact check, or anything) he showed me the earliest CD in his collection, the debut album from Dire Straits, with a date stamp of 1978. It stood out to me at the time as the disc was very thick, much more so than CDs I was used to, and had no center ridge / raised ring area. It was simply silverish-gold, with a simple black silkscreen text, and flat all the way across. I took his word for it.

Very early CDs (Discogs lists CD releases of this album from 1983) can be heavy compared to later ones, and tons of '80s CDs have flat center hubs like you describe. Nothing too unusual here, although collectors will sometimes pay absurd prices for disks from those first few years.

Matchstick wrote:Was it produced at a later date? Based on what you said, probably. Wouldn't be the first time my old man stretched the truth a bit, but given all the drugs and heavy drinking he did in his younger years, I forgive him. But I always wondered why the disc didn't have two dates, one for the original production date of the original album and one for the later production date of the compact disc. I have cassette tapes like that, with multiple copyright dates. Do the same standards not apply to CDs?

The Dire Straits debut has a copyright date of 1978, but that has nothing to do with its physical medium. The multiple dates, assuming that you're referring to ones like this, can be on CDs too and are both for the music. The © symbol specifies the copyright on the notes and lyrics, and the ℗ symbol denotes the copyright on the recording itself. (I have no idea why they're sometimes formatted that way; it's very inconsistent.) The only time you'll see multiple different copyright dates is with remasters or other reissues, accounting for updates to the general presentation, but this is still unrelated to the time of manufacture.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 24th, 2019, 9:35 am

Kodak was surprised in the 40's when Cellulose Acetate film began to break down, & folks got an even worse surprise in the 20's when Cellulose Nitrate film began to break down.

Lifespan estimates are the minimum; the manufacturer knows their product, properly used, maintained, and stored, will last at least that long. Anything else is extra.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Got a great email from a reader who recently exhumed several boxes of Commodore 64 stuff from his parent's attic. It had been subject to about 30 years of heat, cold, and humidity.

Hooked up the Commodore and it turned right on. Loaded Donkey Kong off one of the floppies and it loaded right up.

Try doing that with your PS4 or Xbox One in 30 years!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2019, 6:42 pm

The pic he sent:

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I don't see it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Sorry I can't figure out how to upload photos to my own boards (unless they are links). Sad but true!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2019, 7:40 pm

You can upload it to Imgur and link it from there, like so:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Just said heck with it and uploaded it to my site:

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Cool amber display. An interesting way to see a C64 game.

Return to “Video Games General”