Review Page Format Change?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Review Page Format Change?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2019, 6:20 pm

For about 20 years I've had the same review format - all the reviews in a letter range for a particular system on one long, scrolling page. I liked this because it allowed users to peruse through many reviews with few clicks.

The thing is, my reviews have gotten longer, and so have the pages. I've been advised by some to put each review on its own page. There would be a previous and next button on each page. More clicking but less scrolling. I might even be able to get rid of the "read more" link.

I'd like to know what you think about the idea.

Breaker

Re: Review Page Format Change?

Postby Breaker » April 28th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Personally, I love being able to scroll through a bunch of reviews... maybe just shorten the letter range a bit rather than every review on its own page?

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » April 28th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooo! I suspect most of the people who requested this are using their phones to look at the reviews, but this would make it much more time consuming to read through multiple reviews. Besides, I always enjoy reading through other reviews on the same page. I probably wouldn't bother if I had to click through a bunch of pages for those reviews.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 28th, 2019, 9:07 pm

One of my favorite things about the site is that I can idly browse a system's library and let unfamiliar games catch my eye as I scroll. I also end up reading a lot of entertaining reviews of games that I'm not interested in myself. Having to individually click through them all would destroy this experience, and it would be ridiculous to give each paragraph-long review an entire page of its own anyway. They're short enough that it makes the most sense to put several of them on a page at a time, which is presumably why the site is organized this way in the first place.
Last edited by Stalvern on April 29th, 2019, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 29th, 2019, 12:06 am

Keep it the same please. I’d say just shorten the reviews a bit, if anything.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 29th, 2019, 8:49 am

Giving each review its own page might help SEO, but the reviews would have to be 1000+ words for Google to consider them significant.

Just keep it the same; I like the old school all-on-one-page style.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 29th, 2019, 9:12 am

I agree with everyone else here... noooooooo, don't do it. Being able to scroll through all the reviews is such a fun part of the experience -- similar to Stalvern, I'll sometimes scroll through the games and let the screenshots catch my eye, looking for hidden gems. Also, it makes it possible to look at multiple games at once for comparison -- i.e., if I want to see all the Sonic reviews on Genesis together, it's easy to do. And on the flip side, I can't think of any benefit that comes with changing it to single-review pages.

With some of the bigger libraries, you break it up into multiple pages and I think that's a good thing. If you want to break them up into more pages now that you have more reviews, I think we could survive that. Just not too much.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » April 29th, 2019, 10:22 am

Agree with above, keep the format the same.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 29th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I like the current format, so I say keep it.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 29th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Return to “Video Games General”