Is it normal for a legitimate Nintendo cartridge to have the version numbers on the back spaced this far apart

General and high profile video game topics.
Verm3

Is it normal for a legitimate Nintendo cartridge to have the version numbers on the back spaced this far apart

Postby Verm3 » May 10th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Is it normal for a legitimate (i.e non-bootleg) Nintendo cartridge to have the version numbers (the two indented numbers) on the back, spaced as far apart as they are on the bottom cartridge?

Stalvern

Re: Is it normal for a legitimate Nintendo cartridge to have the version numbers on the back spaced this far apart

Postby Stalvern » May 10th, 2019, 3:23 pm

I have no idea, but what makes me a little suspicious is the way that the bottom label is printed. The type is slightly thinner than the top label's. But I've never seen a European N64 cartridge personally, let alone owned one, so take this with a grain of salt – there could be any number of legitimate reasons for these differences.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Is it normal for a legitimate Nintendo cartridge to have the version numbers on the back spaced this far apart

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 10th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I can't tell what you guys are looking at.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure. Your best bet is to buy a bit screw and open the cartridge. The back image doesn't look off but I'm not expert on N64 carts.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 10th, 2019, 5:52 pm

I don't see anything suspicious. And unless this is a super rare game, I can't imagine anyone trying to counterfeit it.

But as Rev said, you can open it up to make sure there are chips on the board.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 11th, 2019, 9:49 am

I have to admit I am a little concerned about if what I'm buying on Ebay is authentic or not. If you're a collector, stay afar away from super-cheap cartridges that come from China or Japan - especially if they are "new".

Even if you don't care about authenticity, I don't think these knock off are very good. My friend Eric bought the Adventures of Batman and Robin (SNES) and it started glitching after just a few weeks.

I noticed a lot of listings now say "authentic" or show a picture of the cartridge interior, which should have chips on it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 11th, 2019, 12:45 pm

The label looks fine to me, too. Here in the US, our rear cartridge labels for the N64 went through several revisions over time. Some differ in lettering, spacing, and coloring, and I have noticed these differences in many different cartridges I've owned over the years, all legitimate. The older labels from 1996 cartridges seem to be prone to yellowing over time, while the later revisions from 1997 and onward are still holding up great.

Comparing an early 1996 label (like Pilotwings) to a later game from 2000 or so (like Resident Evil 2) reveals a big difference in the way the text on the labels is printed and arranged. Just minor revisions that these games go through over the years and nothing to worry about at all.

TL;DR: your games appear to be legit, Verm :-)

Rev

Postby Rev » May 11th, 2019, 4:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have to admit I am a little concerned about if what I'm buying on Ebay is authentic or not. If you're a collector, stay afar away from super-cheap cartridges that come from China or Japan - especially if they are "new".

Even if you don't care about authenticity, I don't think these knock off are very good. My friend Eric bought the Adventures of Batman and Robin (SNES) and it started glitching after just a few weeks.

I noticed a lot of listings now say "authentic" or show a picture of the cartridge interior, which should have chips on it.

I feel the same. When I buy games from eBay I always open them up anymore and I don't buy from overseas unless it is an import. Honestly, I have caught 2 fake gba games in the last year and the seller immediately gave me a full refund and told me to keep the game. I have also spotted several fakes at video game stores. With how easy reproduction carts are to make these days, anymore can turn a cheap $1 sports title into a $500 copy of Aerowings. Some people also have no clue what they bought and honestly think they have the real thing.

Crazy how much things have changed in the last 5 years.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 11th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Rev wrote:a $500 copy of Aerowings

If there's a legitimate copy of AeroWings for the N64, it's worth a lot more than that. :P

(Which game were you thinking of? The closest title I found was the rather cheap AeroFighters: Assault.)

Rev

Postby Rev » May 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

LOL, you're right. That's what I get for going off the top of my head instead of double checking.

Return to “Video Games General”