Asteroids and Centipede $75

General and high profile video game topics.
noah98

Asteroids and Centipede $75

Postby noah98 » May 26th, 2019, 9:31 am

Picked up two Arcade1up cabinets at Walmart for $75 each. I wouldn't have paid $300, but definitely worth what I paid! The Centipede machine is much nicer than I thought it would be. The Asteroids one is just ok, but the art is beautiful. I did a slight mod to the dial (not really a spinner) using 40 pennies and some electrical tape. It actually works pretty well now and was easy to do. Much better than a joystick for Tempest!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Asteroids and Centipede $75

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 26th, 2019, 9:35 am

I just checked the web site and these cabinets feature impressive art! Love the MK2 especially!
Glad to see there are affordable options for arcade lovers out there.

https://arcade1up.com/

Real arcade games are unwieldy beasts. I know because I have five in my basement, and they are not going anywhere!

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 27th, 2019, 8:12 am

I have an old Quasicade pro arcade that has a giant high def crt in it. In my small house, it takes up way too much room. I got it on sale, but still paid over 1000 for it at the time. It was unique because it was made for consoles. It even has two small metal analogue sticks for each player. The problem with it now is that the highest input it has is component. With no hdmi, I can't hook up a modern computer or console. I also never bought the XBOX 360 adapters for the controls, and now the company is out of business. It sucks that Microsoft restricted the controller ports. Still, it works great with the Wii and PS3 along with older consoles.

These Arcade1up cabinets are cheap, and nice entry level machines for people. You can use a small stool or chair with them or buy/make a riser for standing. It's nice how one person can just pick them up and move them around. For $75 it's a steal. Even for $300, some of the newer ones like the Mortal Kombat machine might be worth it. I also like they they used a 4:3 screen instead of widescreen, so no stretch or borders.

The only one that is kinda weird is the Rampage cabinet. My cousin bought one and the controls are too cramped for three players. They also used an awkward button mapping for Defender and it makes it hard to play. I would avoid that one.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 27th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Just got Galaga for $125. I'm running out of room! :o

Return to “Video Games General”