Konami planing a TurboGrafx-16 Mini!

General and high profile video game topics.
Atariboy

Re: Konami planing a TurboGrafx-16 Mini!

Postby Atariboy » July 24th, 2019, 12:43 pm

I don't think Goldeneye is an impossibility.

Nintendo and Rare/MS have been playing up the cooperation game for a while now. And these days there's no exclusivity contract for the videogame rights to the James Bond franchise like back in the glory days of Xbox Live Arcade. Heck, there aren't even new James Bond games anymore.

So unlike back in 2008 or so, there are only three parties at play instead of four (No Activision or other videogame publisher with exclusivity; Only Nintendo, Rare, and MGM have to play ball). And MGM has been earning no videogame revenue from licensing deals for years now and quite possibly wouldn't be difficult to deal with.

And most of all, Nintendo and Microsoft keep publicizing their mutual admiration for each other these days. Heck, didn't Banjo Kazooie appear in Super Smash Brothers recently or something like that?

I'm not saying it's likely to appear, but the chances of this resurfacing seems more hopeful than in the past.
Last edited by Atariboy on July 24th, 2019, 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 24th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Atariboy wrote:I don't think Goldeneye is an impossibility.

Nintendo and Rare/MS have been playing up the cooperation game for a while now. And these days there's no exclusivity contract for the videogame rights to the James Bond franchise like back in the glory days of Xbox Live Arcade. Heck, there aren't even new James Bond games anymore.

So unlikely back in circa 2008 or so, there are only three parties at play instead of four (No Activision or other videogame publisher with exclusivity; Only Nintendo, Rare, and MGM have to play ball). And MGM has been earning no videogame revenue from licensing deals for years now and quite possibly wouldn't be difficult to deal with.

And most of all, Nintendo and Microsoft keep publicizing their mutual admiration for each other these days. Heck, didn't Banjo Kazooie appear in Super Smash Brothers recently or something like that?

I'm not saying it's likely to appear, but the chances of this resurfacing seems more hopeful than in the past.

I would not complain if it was. Honestly one of my favorite FPS games, and about the only FPS thst doesn't boot you out of a mission if you fail... fun to mess around in.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 24th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Yeah, Banjo Kazooie is going to appear in Smash Bros. Microsoft has been really cool about its IP going to Nintendo when it makes sense for them to do so.

I'm sure they'd offer up similar games for an N64. It would be a win-win for them. At this point it's free advertising for any future "new" game that would command a $60 price.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 25th, 2019, 8:52 pm

I think you’d be looking at 12-15 games for a N64 Classic.

—Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, ocarina of time, banjo kazooie, DK64, wave race, Goldeneye, Mario Party, 1080, killer instinct, pilot wings 64, Star Fox 64, Smash Bros.

I think that’s a pretty nice variety and quality of games.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 25th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Voor wrote:I think you’d be looking at 12-15 games for a N64 Classic.

—Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, ocarina of time, banjo kazooie, DK64, wave race, Goldeneye, Mario Party, 1080, killer instinct, pilot wings 64, Star Fox 64, Smash Bros.

I think that’s a pretty nice variety and quality of games.

Mario Pary 2 or 3, definitely not the first one.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 8th, 2019, 1:13 am

Update: Turns out that the last 7 or 8 games depending on region version have been announced.

https://gematsu.com/2019/08/turbografx- ... -announced

Most are Bandai Namco games formerly Namco side as followed all HuCard games:

Splatterhouse (1990) English version on the US/EU systems but Japanese version on the Japanese system.
Dragon Spirit (1988) Japanese version even though this got a US English TurboGrafx-16 release
Galaga ’88 (1988) aka Galaga ’90 in the US TurboGrafx-16 version, but normally called Galaga ’88 in most official ports/release.
The Genji and the Heike Clans (1990) aka Genpei Toumaden in Japan, but this game is Japan only until the english localized Namco Museum Vol 4 release, but this version on the system is untranslated and is the prequel to Samurai-Ghost which did get a US release back in the day.
The Legend of Valkyrie (1990) aka Valkyrie no Densetsu in Japan, but this game is Japan only until the english localized Namco Museum Vol 5 release, but this version on the system is untranslated.

Both are former Kaga Create aka Naxat Soft games who had some of its game rights sold to Konami/Hudson Soft such as the Spriggan series and the Crush Pinball series save for the non-canon Dragon's Revenge game from Tengen aka Atari Games late Time Warner Interactive which got sold to WMS Industries the former owner of Williams/Midway games before going under to have most rights sold to WB Games.

Seirei Senshi Spriggan (1991) CD
Spriggan Mark 2 (1992) Super CD

And the only Japan only Konami former Hudson Soft Super CD game.

Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru (1992) aka Far East of Eden as their where attempts to localize the series that fell through. More info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItvE6lFXIA

Good lineup even with the random mix of US/Japanese games. Only thing missing is games from Marvelous who owns the rights to Pack-In-Video and Victor Musical Industries late Victor Entertainment video game depart back catalog before the many buy outs and mergers to form the current Marvelous company.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 11th, 2019, 9:02 am

Missing a fair number of games I'd of liked to have seen, but still a solid lineup.

Lots of good shooters absent like Final Soldier (With it not even 3rd party, the entirety of the well liked Star Soldier franchise should've been on here; But instead we only get a respectable 3 out of 4), 3rd party games like the excellent Prince of Persia CD, the good Outrun port (I'd of traded the lackluster Space Harrier port for this in a second), etc.

Has made the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console lineups a bit obsolescent at least. Still a few fan favorites on those that didn't carry over like Final Soldier on the Wii/Wii U and Gate of Thunder from the Wii Virtual Console, but not very many.

Atariboy wrote:Konami has a history of hiring M2 for their emulation needs, so hopefully that practice continues.

Konami has confirmed that M2 is at the helm.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 11th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Atariboy wrote:Missing a fair number of games I'd of liked to have seen, but still a solid lineup.

Lots of good shooters absent like Final Soldier (With it not even 3rd party, the entirety of the well liked Star Soldier franchise should've been on here; But instead we only get a respectable 3 out of 4), 3rd party games like the excellent Prince of Persia CD, the good Outrun port (I'd of traded the lackluster Space Harrier port for this in a second), etc.

Has made the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console lineups a bit obsolescent at least. Still a few fan favorites on those that didn't carry over like Final Soldier on the Wii/Wii U and Gate of Thunder from the Wii Virtual Console, but not very many.

It true that Final Soldier is the only Star Soldier game on TurboGrafx-16 Mini aka PC Engine Mini not to be available even though Super Star Soldier was featured as the Japanese version and not the western version oddly enough despite being available in the west. As for Prince of Persia CD, that due to licensing issues as that version was made by Riverhillsoft and Argent both of them being defunct and Ubisoft owns Prince of Persia ip and the US version was brought over by Hudson Soft/Turbo Technologies so not surprised it not included. And yes, Outrun would have been better choice but Space Harrier was released in the west, but still. And Gate of Thunder is a surprise absence given it 1st party.

Atariboy wrote:Konami has a history of hiring M2 for their emulation needs, so hopefully that practice continues.

Atariboy wrote:Konami has confirmed that M2 is at the helm.

I was going to mention this, but you beat me to it, but what interesting is they have localized Japanese import games leaguly like Monster World 4 and Kid Dracula recently so for some of the more text heavy titles like Jaseiken Necromancer (RPG), Snatcher (Visual Novel/Adventure), and Super Momotaro Dentetsu II (board game), that would be nice as those are going to be the hardest to play without english translations sadly.

Also worth mentioning is that in Japan it got a CERO D (17+) rating similar to mid range M in are country, but keep in note the uncut version of Snatcher would not fly well with CERO rating board given how strict they are on violence and graphic sex and nudity as the PC Engine Super CD version has gore and nudity that would not fly well with CERO of today so it would not be surprising if the censorship from the Sega CD version, but more so the more censored PS1/Sega Saturn versions get ported over as the later releases especially PS1 are more toned down in comparison.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 10th, 2019, 7:03 pm

No Klax! Oh no!

I'm happy with Parasol Stars, Blazing Lazers, Splatterhouse and Power Golf and R_Type.

No World Class Baseball. No TV Sports games? Bummer.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 10th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Tron wrote:No Klax! Oh no!

I'm happy with Parasol Stars, Blazing Lazers, Splatterhouse and Power Golf and R_Type.

No World Class Baseball. No TV Sports games? Bummer.

The reason why Klax is not on it is because WB Games owns Klax as the TurboGrafx-16 port was made by the defunct Tengen, and being that TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine are more Japanese focused systems then western made games, it makes sense why it not on it.

Those 5 games are quality choices even though you can get the far better Arcade version of Splatterhouse on Switch via the Namco Museum collection. And someday the Arcade version of R-Type could come via the Arcade Archives series.

As for the sports games, did the NES/SNES/PlayStation and soon to be released Genesis classics/Mini included them, not really and the TV Sports games belong to Starbreeze a Switch developer.

Return to “Video Games General”