Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor
Posts: 779
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby Voor » June 19th, 2019, 10:18 pm

If you were excited for the game, don’t let some little overblown issue like who the voice over actor is ruin it for you. Enjoy the game and grade it by how much fun it was to you.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1633
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby Sonicx9 » June 20th, 2019, 12:39 am

Voor wrote:If you were excited for the game, don’t let some little overblown issue like who the voice over actor is ruin it for you. Enjoy the game and grade it by how much fun it was to you.


Good point, but these days especially on the internet if you say you like Yooka-Laylee in front of the haters of the game over the JonTron hijinx, prepare for you to get falmed I have seen it from the haters of that game. They will get nasty and say your an SJW, you suck go to Hell you support censorship, etc, it terrible. And if you say you like Yooka-Laylee in front of Jim Sterling or his fanbase, prepare for the same thing as those that hate it for JonTron being removed, except they hate it because it runs on Unity Engine which Jim Sterling love to be negative on that said engine, especially these videos.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4_bjyJ4EM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5svAoQ7D38k. Also the haters review bomb the game on Steam, Google users, Metacritic, Amazon, etc, it terrible. Is it me or have things gotten way worse in the past several years?

LoganRuckman
Posts: 282
Joined: April 10th, 2015, 1:04 am

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby LoganRuckman » June 20th, 2019, 7:41 am

I actually believe there's a case to be made aside from the JonTron stuff. Sure, that caused a stir, but there's also the fact that it was put on a pedestal before it came out as some savior of the 3D collectathon platformer, but then it released to average reviews and mixed opinions. It's often seen as a disappointment of sorts.
And then it got backlash when it was revealed that it was running on Unity, which doesn't have the best reputation among game engines. Finally, the Wii U port that was initially promised was ultimately cancelled, irritating a few Wii U owners who were looking forward to it.

Also, I'd like to comment on all the replies stating that YouTube videos and gaming journalism don't matter. That's a pretty narrow minded view. Like it or not, YouTube, Twitter, and other media are a huge part of the gaming industry nowadays. You have many YouTubers who are more well known among younger generations than most A-list celebrities. The internet and gaming go hand in hand anymore. This little community we have is actually very isolated from the rest of the gaming community. Just because something is a nonissue to us personally doesn't mean it's not an issue at all. We have to remember that this little bubble of ours isn't indicative of the industry as a whole.

MSR1701
Posts: 99
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby MSR1701 » June 20th, 2019, 8:27 am

LoganRuckman wrote:I actually believe there's a case to be made aside from the JonTron stuff. Sure, that caused a stir, but there's also the fact that it was put on a pedestal before it came out as some savior of the 3D collectathon platformer, but then it released to average reviews and mixed opinions. It's often seen as a disappointment of sorts.
And then it got backlash when it was revealed that it was running on Unity, which doesn't have the best reputation among game engines. Finally, the Wii U port that was initially promised was ultimately cancelled, irritating a few Wii U owners who were looking forward to it.

Also, I'd like to comment on all the replies stating that YouTube videos and gaming journalism don't matter. That's a pretty narrow minded view. Like it or not, YouTube, Twitter, and other media are a huge part of the gaming industry nowadays. You have many YouTubers who are more well known among younger generations than most A-list celebrities. The internet and gaming go hand in hand anymore. This little community we have is actually very isolated from the rest of the gaming community. Just because something is a nonissue to us personally doesn't mean it's not an issue at all. We have to remember that this little bubble of ours isn't indicative of the industry as a whole.


Kickstarter game gets hype and implodes on release, plus controversy? Mighty No. 9?

On YouTube and gaming journalism's significance, they are a very vocal group but tend to blow things way out of proportion in relation to their actual size/numbers. I once had a talk with a 10-year old kid at a GameStop a few years back who pointed to a Mario Lost Levels 3DS case and said it was a horrid game. I asked him why he thought that, and his answer was that it was insulting that Nintendo looked down on Americans by not releasing the game in the US because it was too hard. I then asked him if he had played it, and his answer was no. I told him he should try it, as the game's difficulty was so high that it would have hurt sales and Nintendo. He was stumped at this.

I bring this up as YouTube and the internet is about the only place I hear gripe about that little factoid, and the number of people that are influenced by said sources without checking or researching are high in number.

Gleebergloben123
Posts: 204
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:06 am

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 20th, 2019, 9:17 am

This is one of the reasons I stopped posting here. So a game comes out, a Youtuber with a minor voice role gets cut for saying some really dumb things, and this is a controversy? Much ado about nothing.

MSR1701
Posts: 99
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby MSR1701 » June 20th, 2019, 9:23 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:This is one of the reasons I stopped posting here. So a game comes out, a Youtuber with a minor voice role gets cut for saying some really dumb things, and this is a controversy? Much ado about nothing.


Yarp

Sonicx9
Posts: 1633
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby Sonicx9 » June 20th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Response time.

LoganRuckman wrote:I actually believe there's a case to be made aside from the JonTron stuff. Sure, that caused a stir, but there's also the fact that it was put on a pedestal before it came out as some savior of the 3D collectathon platformer, but then it released to average reviews and mixed opinions. It's often seen as a disappointment of sorts.
And then it got backlash when it was revealed that it was running on Unity, which doesn't have the best reputation among game engines. Finally, the Wii U port that was initially promised was ultimately cancelled, irritating a few Wii U owners who were looking forward to it.

Also, I'd like to comment on all the replies stating that YouTube videos and gaming journalism don't matter. That's a pretty narrow minded view. Like it or not, YouTube, Twitter, and other media are a huge part of the gaming industry nowadays. You have many YouTubers who are more well known among younger generations than most A-list celebrities. The internet and gaming go hand in hand anymore. This little community we have is actually very isolated from the rest of the gaming community. Just because something is a nonissue to us personally doesn't mean it's not an issue at all. We have to remember that this little bubble of ours isn't indicative of the industry as a whole.


LoganRuckman you have good points it was set on a pedestal because of the ex-rare staff involved with the game, and looked like a savior for not just 3D collectathon platformer, but AAA big budget Kickstarter games coming off of the now infamous Mighty No. 9. And the game Yooka-Laylee was at the time looking promising with everything going right until the JonTron hijinx came in and made people like me loos goodwill, not helped with average reviews and mixed opinions, as it was often seen as a disappointment of sorts. And for the engine, I 100% agree that Unity was the worst mistake the game made as it was not only not having the best reputation among game engines. Especially with negative videos from Jim Sterling and other like DXFan619 on YouTube with negative videos like these ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4_bjyJ4EM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5svAoQ7D38k. In fact I heard rumors that Yooka-Laylee was supposed to use Unreal Engine 4 as that game engine is far better suited for a bigger more ambitious large scale game that Yooka-Laylee wanted to be, but had no choice to use Unity because of the now canceled Wii U version, even though Unity on Wii U was a hot mess, a lose-lose either way. And by the time the cancelled the Wii U port, it was way too little too late to Switch to Unreal Engine 4 as the game was nearly finished. So the game suffered because of the engine and it shows. Yes Unity can produce well received and good looking and running games, but it only well suited for lower budget indie/small scale projects and simpler 2D and 3D games.

For the second paragraph you are right the community here is not the same as the rest of the gaming community as a whole.

MSR1701 wrote:
Kickstarter game gets hype and implodes on release, plus controversy? Mighty No. 9?

On YouTube and gaming journalism's significance, they are a very vocal group but tend to blow things way out of proportion in relation to their actual size/numbers. I once had a talk with a 10-year old kid at a GameStop a few years back who pointed to a Mario Lost Levels 3DS case and said it was a horrid game. I asked him why he thought that, and his answer was that it was insulting that Nintendo looked down on Americans by not releasing the game in the US because it was too hard. I then asked him if he had played it, and his answer was no. I told him he should try it, as the game's difficulty was so high that it would have hurt sales and Nintendo. He was stumped at this.

I bring this up as YouTube and the internet is about the only place I hear gripe about that little factoid, and the number of people that are influenced by said sources without checking or researching are high in number.


So sad and true, people like to have a mob mentality and not think for themselves, they often like to believe negative hype and not think for themselves and boy does it show.

Gleebergloben123 wrote:This is one of the reasons I stopped posting here. So a game comes out, a Youtuber with a minor voice role gets cut for saying some really dumb things, and this is a controversy? Much ado about nothing.


Can not blame you as it can get very toxic sometimes.

User avatar
pacman000
Posts: 936
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby pacman000 » June 20th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Oddly this is one of the least toxic boards I've been on. :)

This topic does get to me, for some reason.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1633
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby Sonicx9 » June 20th, 2019, 7:24 pm

pacman000 wrote:Oddly this is one of the least toxic boards I've been on. :)

This topic does get to me, for some reason.


What do you mean "This topic does get to me, for some reason."

Edward M
Posts: 12
Joined: June 11th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby Edward M » June 20th, 2019, 8:26 pm

After looking at what happened to PewDiePie (posted pro nazi material) JonTron (posted racist nonsense) and Projared (got caught sending photos of "little Jared" to underage girls), it would probably be best if game developers avoided putting youtube "celebrities" in their games altogether.


Return to “Video Games General”