Looking for a middle person based in the U.S

General and high profile video game topics.
Buttermancan

Re: Looking for a middle person based in the U.S

Postby Buttermancan » July 21st, 2019, 2:30 am

Verm3 wrote:I plan to buy and pay for the games myself from Ebay and/or Amazon using my accounts.

The thing is that the sellers of some of the games I wish to purchase either don't ship outside the U.S or charge extremely high postage costs to ship straight to the U.K. Given that they come from different sellers, I would also have to pay postage separately for every game if I got them shipped straight to me.

Hence I seek a middle person based in the U.S, who would be willing to receive all the games on my behalf (i.e I give the above mentioned sellers the middle persons address instead of my own) and combine them into as few packages as possible to ship to me in the U.K. I figure it would be cheaper to send fewer big packages than several smaller ones, even taking into account the addition of inter U.S postage. Naturally, I would pay the middle person what it costs them to send the games to the U.K.

With all due respect this sets off Alarm bells in my head. You may very well be a decent person and have good intentions but can you not see how this comes across?

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » July 21st, 2019, 2:44 am

I don't understand. I'm not that great at communication I guess.

I thought making it clear I would purchase the items myself (i.e I'm not asking someone to buy them for me) would show my sincerity?

Maybe linking to my Ebay feedback would also help allay any fears: https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAP ... =toshin999

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2019, 10:42 am

So the middle guy does all of this for a "small sum"? I wouldn't do it for a large sum!
If something CAN go wrong (missing item, wrong address, etc) it most certainly WILL.
And confusion will ensure, followed by anger.

Also, if you're a little tight in the wallet you may want to think twice about ordering all those games.
As much as I enjoy collecting, games should be a low priority when it comes to expenses.

I don't mean to be mean; I'm just being honest. I want to save you a lot of grief.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » July 21st, 2019, 12:06 pm

Verm3 wrote:I don't understand. I'm not that great at communication I guess.

I thought making it clear I would purchase the items myself (i.e I'm not asking someone to buy them for me) would show my sincerity?

Maybe linking to my Ebay feedback would also help allay any fears: https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAP ... =toshin999

I must apologise. Via tiredness I got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were expecting the sender to buy the games and send them to you.
Sorry if my comments caused distress!
However, as the Critic stressed..... This sort of thing could end badly. Pursue at your own risk!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » July 21st, 2019, 4:06 pm

I'd actually be happy to help you out if I were in the mainland, I live in Hawaii and I know all too well the "prejudice" we face being so far away for shipping purposes. LOTS of times I want to purchase something off Amazon (never mind Ebay) only to find that they won't ship said item(s) to Alaska or Hawaii - skunked again! So while I can empathize with your plight, I'd be happy to help if it probably wouldn't be just as expensive and difficult for you to use me as a middle man.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » July 21st, 2019, 5:06 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:What the heck. I'll help. Something to break up the monotony of my life...

Paul, I tried to PM you about something but it doesn't appear to be working... the message is just sitting in my 'outbox'. If you get a chance, see if you can PM me!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 21st, 2019, 7:12 pm

this might be 100 percent legit but it just sounds fishy

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 21st, 2019, 8:21 pm

I do not think it is fishy. OP has a post history here, to the tune of > 100 posts.
I do think it is a bad idea. It is a really nice gesture someone is willing to help but if something goes wrong, i.e. package goes missing that is when things can be nasty. This is what concerns me about the deal - basically the good samaritan becomes the bad guy if customs seizes the packages or they go walkies in transit. Also postage abroad becomes much more expensive with signed for delivery. Customs number only good to go to a point, does not cover package transit from airport to delivery hub.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » July 22nd, 2019, 2:19 am

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

I admit though that I'm not sure how to respond yet. But I just wanted to make it clear that I have read all the replies and am grateful for them.

Though to make clear, I am still looking for assistance with this.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 22nd, 2019, 1:00 pm

I have a buddy who can do this. His name is Danny "Bonesaw" O'Sullivan. He should make parole next month, but I can tell you where to send the checks to in the meantime. Let me know!

Return to “Video Games General”