I bug you once more about Neo-Geo

General and high profile video game topics.
zenzerotron

Postby zenzerotron » April 17th, 2005, 3:20 pm

After doing alot of online research, I'm leaning toward getting a cd-system instead of the AES.

I recall when I first asked you about it, you said that the cd-system had some unbearable load times. Just how unbearable?? Can you give examples of certain games where the load times are horrible? Do Neo-Geo cd games in general have bad load times, or just certain titles??

Also, is the cd-system like the Neogeo Pocket, where region doesn't matter?? If I buy a Japanese cd game, can I put the in-game text to English?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 17th, 2005, 8:40 pm

About the load times, they're not bad in most games like shooters and sports titles, because you only need to wait for the game to load once. It may take a minute or so to load. However, for fighting games the thing has to reload between matches, which is harder to tolerate.

And yes, you can play a game from any region on your Neo Geo CD and it will come up in English.

Dave

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 17th, 2005, 10:11 pm

Some of the newer games loads are a joke 30 second loads between rounds in kof 99.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 19th, 2005, 7:26 am

the best part of the CD system are the controllers, it has the same clicky thumbpad as the neo geo pocket, which works wonders for fighting games

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » April 19th, 2005, 8:30 am

Let me see!  30-50 second loading waits on a CD-based AES system with cheap CD games ($30-60) versus instantaneous loading on a $100-350 cartridge in a regular AES system?  Mmmphhh, I think I'll stick with my NGPC!

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 19th, 2005, 1:18 pm

I love the clicky-stick on NGCP. That is unless I am playing Pac-Man or Crush Roller; then I'm constantly dying from making unintentional wrong turns.......

Are AES and CD controllers swappable/compatible with each other?

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » April 19th, 2005, 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]

Are AES and CD controllers swappable/compatible with each other?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

About the load times....consider this fact; The Neo Geo CD player is a 1x speed cd drive. The Atari Jaguar CD was also 1x speed, and playing Primal Rage is a chore with the load times. Just about any game on a 1x drive is gonna have annoying load times.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 19th, 2005, 2:51 pm

Maybe thats why they tanked so badly?  Then again the playstation has some pretty scarry load times thats one thing the saturn never had.  I will never forget the endless loading screens when i tried playing half of my psx games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 19th, 2005, 5:28 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]Maybe thats why they tanked so badly? Then again the playstation has some pretty scarry load times thats one thing the saturn never had. I will never forget the endless loading screens when i tried playing half of my psx games.
[/QUOTE]

Even play the first Street Fighter Alpha for the Playstation? Man that was hurting. The loading screen just said "Now Loading..." and it took forever.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 19th, 2005, 6:07 pm

No never 1 but i have 3 and the slow down is sad.

Return to “Video Games General”