Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9
Posts: 1627
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby Sonicx9 » July 9th, 2019, 8:14 pm

What are your guys most Hypocritical video game reviewer moments namely from professionals as it common to see this being said over and over in their reviews.

One example is reviewers will complain that all Mega Man and Bomberman games are the same, yet when other franchises like Call of Duty, annual sports games, Lego Games, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series back in the day, Guitar Hero for the same thing as well, etc. Get away doing the same thing over and over and get a free pass WTH! And it not just Mega Man and Bomberman, it also applies to other games as well.: https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11 ... -lost-wand and yet they complain it too similar to the previous title, yet when others do it, it a free pass, contradiction much?

Also when they give a great game a high score they may complain about pacing being a bit too slow at times,: https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/11/23 ... eam-import, but if other games have a pacing issue, it gets a lower score: https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/10/07 ... es-revenge does that make sense no!

Another one, even though this is more of a YouTuber example is the Irate Gamer who I know is not the best one out their he complains that Ghosts 'n Goblins is too hard, but when he is reviewing an easy game like Kirby's Epic Yarn, he then flip flops and complains it too easy. And it common to see this complaint in other games out their. From professionals or even non professional reviewers alike see the contradiction their.

The same can also be said about too short and long, but it similar to the too easy/too hard thing I mentioned earlier.

And when a game like Yooka-Laylee is trying to be a old school throwback game, it gets slammed by reviewers and they call it "3D platformer collectathons are an outdated genre", yet when the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remakes do the same thing, they get a free pass with rave reviews, double standards much.

I know their are more like this, but I can go one all days, so now it your guys turn to list your "most hypocritical video game reviewer moments" and why?

mbd36
Posts: 269
Joined: April 18th, 2015, 10:32 am

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby mbd36 » July 9th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Irate Gamer isn't technically a reviewer. He's a bad Youtube comedian doing the same schtick as the Angry Video Game Nerd making fun of old games and not to be taken seriously. He exaggerates flaws of games for humor sake.

Aren't most professional reviewers beholden to their sponsors and the general tastes of their target audience? It seems like they have to give high ratings to popular franchises in order to make money.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1627
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby Sonicx9 » July 9th, 2019, 8:33 pm

mbd36 wrote:Irate Gamer isn't technically a reviewer. He's a bad Youtube comedian doing the same schtick as the Angry Video Game Nerd making fun of old games and not to be taken seriously. He exaggerates flaws of games for humor sake.

Aren't most professional reviewers beholden to their sponsors and the general tastes of their target audience? It seems like they have to give high ratings to popular franchises in order to make money.


I know that Irate Gamer isn't technically a reviewer. But he did do contradictions in his videos goes hand and hand with the topic of "Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments".

As for the second part you said "Aren't most professional reviewers beholden to their sponsors and the general tastes of their target audience? It seems like they have to give high ratings to popular franchises in order to make money." what does that mean it kinda confusing can you explain it better?

Edward M
Posts: 12
Joined: June 11th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby Edward M » July 11th, 2019, 10:16 pm

I'm not a fan of the Irate Gamer, who basically stole the Angry Video Game Nerd's gimmick, and sometimes his reviews line for line. However, I don't think its hypocritical to complain about one game being too hard and another being too easy. Every one will have their "just right" difficulty zone, and can have games that fall above that zone in terms of difficulty, and some that fall below.

Voor
Posts: 778
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby Voor » July 11th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Yeah difficulty is a weird thing. Ruins some games and enhances others. And if the goes does have high difficulty, it’s still acceptable if the payoff is perceived to be worth it. Dark souls is a good example.

mbd36
Posts: 269
Joined: April 18th, 2015, 10:32 am

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby mbd36 » July 13th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
mbd36 wrote:Irate Gamer isn't technically a reviewer. He's a bad Youtube comedian doing the same schtick as the Angry Video Game Nerd making fun of old games and not to be taken seriously. He exaggerates flaws of games for humor sake.

Aren't most professional reviewers beholden to their sponsors and the general tastes of their target audience? It seems like they have to give high ratings to popular franchises in order to make money.


I know that Irate Gamer isn't technically a reviewer. But he did do contradictions in his videos goes hand and hand with the topic of "Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments".

As for the second part you said "Aren't most professional reviewers beholden to their sponsors and the general tastes of their target audience? It seems like they have to give high ratings to popular franchises in order to make money." what does that mean it kinda confusing can you explain it better?



It means that professional reviewers might lose their audience and advertisers if they tick them off by giving bad reviews to certain games.

User avatar
DrLitch
Posts: 224
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby DrLitch » July 13th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Irate Gamer? Channel has been dead for a decade or so. Never really considered a mainstream opinion on the subject. Guy caught a lot of criticism for drawing too much inspiration from AngryVideoGameNerd. Usual slapstick below the belt humor but nonetheless he was mildly entertaining. I think he got into ghost hunting if memory serves me right. Quite a departure.

Hypocrisy? If you look deeply everything can be considered hypocritical. Must be careful. Someone says to a Greenpeace worker "You aint no environmentalist if you drive a car" or to a Vegan: "you aint vegan because you kill insects everytime you step on grass". Tu quoque fallacy.

Nobody is infallible. Opinions can change, even radically. Does not make it hypocricy.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1627
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby Sonicx9 » July 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Rather late, but response time:

Voor wrote:Yeah difficulty is a weird thing. Ruins some games and enhances others. And if the goes does have high difficulty, it’s still acceptable if the payoff is perceived to be worth it. Dark souls is a good example.


It is, but when I see complaints like that, it make it hard to take seriously sometimes.

mbd36 wrote:It means that professional reviewers might lose their audience and advertisers if they tick them off by giving bad reviews to certain games.


Like this infamous review scandal: https://kotaku.com/yes-a-games-writer-w ... es-5893785 it happens because if they don't get the right scores or get high enough metacritic scores they will do shady stuff.

DrLitch wrote:Irate Gamer? Channel has been dead for a decade or so. Never really considered a mainstream opinion on the subject. Guy caught a lot of criticism for drawing too much inspiration from AngryVideoGameNerd. Usual slapstick below the belt humor but nonetheless he was mildly entertaining. I think he got into ghost hunting if memory serves me right. Quite a departure.

Hypocrisy? If you look deeply everything can be considered hypocritical. Must be careful. Someone says to a Greenpeace worker "You aint no environmentalist if you drive a car" or to a Vegan: "you aint vegan because you kill insects everytime you step on grass". Tu quoque fallacy.

Nobody is infallible. Opinions can change, even radically. Does not make it hypocricy.


It a weird thing indeed as their is no wright or wrong answer.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 268
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 16th, 2019, 2:13 pm

The biggest hypocrisy that I've seen comes from the critics of the critics.

For a recent example, there's the folks who care way too much about characters wearing revealing clothing. Heaven forbid anyone say anything one way or the other about that mess. The folks pretending that Mortal Kombat 9's identical kombat thongs were solid character design and MKXI somehow represents the triumph of an imaginary "Militant Islamic radical feminism" are just as useless as those pretending *any* sex appeal somehow represents an attack on all women everywhere, even the women who really liked playing escapist power fantasies like Catwoman, Mileena, and old school Lara Croft. And the women who don't care at all.

Even knowing that "kontroversy" exists makes my brain feel violated. There's a lot of nuance that's simply being ignored.

Neither side represents a majority of gamers (or even feminists and anti-feminists, for that matter), but they sure do love to harass anyone who points that out. Even now, you can hear them calling each other virgins, sell-outs, and/or sluts.

But it could still be worse.

There's the folks who want to pretend that a tech writer's self-mocking failure to immediately figure out Cuphead's tutorial represents a failure of actual game critics, because "ethics in game journalism" was always just a shield for them to hide their own politics behind. You know the kind - they claim they fight for freedom of speech, but forget that mission statement at every available opportunity. "Your multiplayer skins are too diverse!" "How DARE you ban me for harassing female players?!"

There's the folks who pretend they're standing up to the giants whenever they attack an indie developer telling a personal story. And the folks who send death threats to people just for making games they didn't approve of. Or just writing for a review they didn't like.

Sure, the professionals aren't perfect. They struggle to grow beyond the review standards of the 5th generation, where 30fps and minimum lag was an easy recommendation. And they're suckers for hype. And they don't have enough time to fully immerse themselves in a game. It's easy for AAA studios to briefly impress them, and then fail to do much more.

And wow, do they jump on new trends. When they're not aggressively rebelling against older trends.

But that doesn't mean they're doing nothing right. So long as you take their advice with a grain of salt, and compare it to fan reactions, and the reactions of independent critics, you should have a decent (if still imperfect) buying guide. Ultimately, nothing compares to playing the games for yourself.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1627
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Most hypocritical video game reviewer moments?

Postby Sonicx9 » July 18th, 2019, 8:02 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:The biggest hypocrisy that I've seen comes from the critics of the critics.

For a recent example, there's the folks who care way too much about characters wearing revealing clothing. Heaven forbid anyone say anything one way or the other about that mess. The folks pretending that Mortal Kombat 9's identical kombat thongs were solid character design and MKXI somehow represents the triumph of an imaginary "Militant Islamic radical feminism" are just as useless as those pretending *any* sex appeal somehow represents an attack on all women everywhere, even the women who really liked playing escapist power fantasies like Catwoman, Mileena, and old school Lara Croft. And the women who don't care at all.

Even knowing that "kontroversy" exists makes my brain feel violated. There's a lot of nuance that's simply being ignored.

Neither side represents a majority of gamers (or even feminists and anti-feminists, for that matter), but they sure do love to harass anyone who points that out. Even now, you can hear them calling each other virgins, sell-outs, and/or sluts.

But it could still be worse.

There's the folks who want to pretend that a tech writer's self-mocking failure to immediately figure out Cuphead's tutorial represents a failure of actual game critics, because "ethics in game journalism" was always just a shield for them to hide their own politics behind. You know the kind - they claim they fight for freedom of speech, but forget that mission statement at every available opportunity. "Your multiplayer skins are too diverse!" "How DARE you ban me for harassing female players?!"

There's the folks who pretend they're standing up to the giants whenever they attack an indie developer telling a personal story. And the folks who send death threats to people just for making games they didn't approve of. Or just writing for a review they didn't like.

Sure, the professionals aren't perfect. They struggle to grow beyond the review standards of the 5th generation, where 30fps and minimum lag was an easy recommendation. And they're suckers for hype. And they don't have enough time to fully immerse themselves in a game. It's easy for AAA studios to briefly impress them, and then fail to do much more.

And wow, do they jump on new trends. When they're not aggressively rebelling against older trends.

But that doesn't mean they're doing nothing right. So long as you take their advice with a grain of salt, and compare it to fan reactions, and the reactions of independent critics, you should have a decent (if still imperfect) buying guide. Ultimately, nothing compares to playing the games for yourself.


For the first point the SJW/Anti-SJW stuff for reviewers is annoying and bad.

For the second point at the end you have a good point about 30FPS and hype sucering.

And for the last point the trends thing is annoying.


Return to “Video Games General”