Short and Split-screen icons

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Short and Split-screen icons

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 25th, 2019, 7:34 pm

I've been thinking about incorporating these icons for some time, and finally pulled the trigger:

You'll find two in the new Dragster review:
https://videogamecritic.com/2600de.htm?e=28272#rev173

and one for Crash Team Racing (PS1):
https://videogamecritic.com/ps1cc.htm?e=03002#rev2297

First let me say that I am willing to tweak/change these before applying them around the site. I could even ditch them altogether. I need your feedback.

Short: This stopwatch icon indicates the game has a very short running time. Another game I recently reviewed, Choplifter, would probably qualify also. Let's keep it relative to the system. A 7-second game is short for any system, but maybe an hour game would be considered short for the PS4...?

2-Player Splitscreen - especially since this has become kind of rare over the last few years (before the Switch anyway) I thought it would be a useful indicator. I used a Ballblazer graphic because it had a distinctive split.

4-Player Splitscreen - Same as 2P, except the icon looks a little less distinct. I think the two split-screen icons might benefit from a black border so they don't "bleed" into the next icon. If anyone is handy with a paint program feel free to touch them up.

I'm even willing to replace these if something comes up with something better. The wording also!

Please chime in!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Short and Split-screen icons

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 28th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Since these new icons are a bit large, I added a few pixels of spacing between icons so they look a bit less cluttered.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » December 27th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Several Atari 2600 games have a play time of 2 minutes 16 seconds - Air Sea Battle, Combat, Slot Racers, etc. Or first to so many points like Warlords or Outlaw.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 28th, 2019, 10:56 am

True, but for an Atari 2600 game 2 min 16 sec isn't all that short.
In some cases it feels very long!

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » August 12th, 2020, 9:36 pm

Decided to revisit this, here's the shorter games for the 2600 and yes 2:16 is not a long time considering modern gaming now --

Air Sea Battle
Barnstorming
Canyon Bomber
Combat
Freeway
Grand Prix
Outlaw
Indy 500
Maze Craze
Night Driver
Slot Racers
Skiing
Sky Diver
Space War
Star Ship
Street Racer
Steeplechase
Video Olympics
Word Zapper

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 14th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Thanks for compiling this list. I think a lot of these may deserve the "short game icon".
However I don't think most of these have a 2:16 time limit, which I thought you were going for.

Return to “Video Games General”