What happened to couch gaming?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

What happened to couch gaming?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 28th, 2019, 8:28 pm

A friend of mine was mentioning how his nephew spends a lot of time gaming with his friends, but not in person. He plays them online and doesn't leave the house.

From the time I was a kid until now, gaming has been a social thing. I'd have friends over and we'd kick back on the couch or sit on the floor. It doesn't seem like online play could be as good.

Then again we all had jobs when we were 16 and we all drove. Things are different now. I'm sure the kids will turn out fine but I think they're missing out.

I'm wondering if the game industry is playing a role. Most publishers prefer to release online games with no local because it makes them more money.

Thoughts?

Voor

Re: What happened to couch gaming?

Postby Voor » July 28th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I think it’s just whatever connects you to your friends. I did couch play as a kid, online while I was in college, and now couch again with my kids. If they aren’t around, I’ll play online with strangers*. Playing against other humans always offers a superior challenge, which is nice when a game has been otherwise exhausted.

*real life friends always trumps strangers, but as an adult with kids, who has friends in the same boat, “friend time” is a rare commodity, so sometimes strangers is the best you can do. I’ve never done the voice chat thing though. Interestingly enough, my brother does, and he criticizes Nintendo often for not having that in their most popular online games.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 29th, 2019, 12:15 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:A friend of mine was mentioning how his nephew spends a lot of time gaming with his friends, but not in person. He plays them online and doesn't leave the house.

From the time I was a kid until now, gaming has been a social thing. I'd have friends over and we'd kick back on the couch or sit on the floor. It doesn't seem like online play could be as good.

Then again we all had jobs when we were 16 and we all drove. Things are different now. I'm sure the kids will turn out fine but I think they're missing out.

I'm wondering if the game industry is playing a role. Most publishers prefer to release online games with no local because it makes them more money.

Thoughts?

That's the main idea behind the upcoming Intellivision Amico....games where family and friends get together and play..we'll see how that works out

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 29th, 2019, 5:33 pm

I'd agree that no form of gaming can beat an awesome multiplayer session with friends on the couch. But it doesn't always work out so perfectly. Just to present the other side...

Sometimes it's nice to be able to play with your friends online, where there's less commitment involved. No schedules to arrange, no food or drinks to hand out, no mess to clean up, no annoying split-screen, no "why do i always get the crappy controller?"... And (best of all) a much easier exit when you're tired of playing. Meanwhile, you can have all your usual banter and insults right over the headset.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 29th, 2019, 9:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:A friend of mine was mentioning how his nephew spends a lot of time gaming with his friends, but not in person. He plays them online and doesn't leave the house.

Thoughts?

Rather late, but good points as in my opinion the Nintendo Switch is the only modern console with a big focus on couch local gaming unlike the PS4 and Xbox One where the experience is primarily online for multiplayer in many games. Yes, local gaming does happen on PS4 and Xbox One, but not to the level of most older systems or the Nintendo Switch for that matter and it sad :cry: !

jon

Postby jon » July 30th, 2019, 10:47 am

I was playing video games with my friends right when the huge flood of great NES games came out in ‘87. We’d play video games all the time and sleepovers were meant for those NES baseball games. Times have changed

Voor

Postby Voor » July 30th, 2019, 12:01 pm

jon wrote:I was playing video games with my friends right when the huge flood of great NES games came out in ‘87. We’d play video games all the time and sleepovers were meant for those NES baseball games. Times have changed

Lol I haven’t had a sleepover in 20 years.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 30th, 2019, 9:31 pm

I currently have one per year. Guys weekend. Usually involves friends from at least 3 states, lasts at least 3 nights, and involves a lot of video games, movies (Bond movies, specifically), food and booze.

We're working on making it bi-annual, but we've got to get the buy-in from our wives first!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 1st, 2019, 12:09 am

Breaker wrote:We're working on making it bi-annual, but we've got to get the buy-in from our wives first!

Haha always an issue. What sucks is that none of my gaming friends live close anymore. I remember how much fun it was gaming with them, but unfortunately it's hard to hang out these days. None of my friends who live close are interested in video games.

Return to “Video Games General”