A quality shmup coming to Switch this fall!

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

A quality shmup coming to Switch this fall!

Postby Sonicx9 » July 30th, 2019, 10:07 pm

https://gematsu.com/2019/07/the-game-pa ... -this-fall

I normally would put these in the physical release section, but because it getting a physical release day and date. I only resurve that physical release section for digital first before physical later, (namily limited ones in particular.) But this is a nice deal and best of all, all the DLC on cart and no patches due to being a late port for the better.

It sure pays to wait on Switch as you can get quality ports, looking at you ARK: Survival Evolved :lol:!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: A quality shmup coming to Switch this fall!

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Funny how I just reviewed the original import version for the Saturn! I will definitely snag a copy of this one. Keep us posted!!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 30th, 2019, 11:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Funny how I just reviewed the original import version for the Saturn! I will definitely snag a copy of this one. Keep us posted!!

I will update when a release date comes in, and BTW speaking of Sega Saturn, the Nintendo Switch is the Sega Saturn spiritual successor not in terms of being a success/failure but rather then having a funky/unique hardware and dither transparency features as many devs have trouble with the Switch system just like the Sega Saturn (examples: less powerful, foreign CPU architecture with X86 from PC/PS4/Xbox One vs ARM on Switch etc.)

This captured footage from God Eater 3 demo which BTW is much faster pace and easier to get into then Capcom own Monster Hunter series and recommended.

And if you want info on dither transparency on the Sega Saturn this video explains it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

But on the positive side, it does create less lazy devs like this.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSI701GEWsA looking at you EA/Dice and Frostbite 3 engine which is giving EA devs like BioWare a Frostbite!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 31st, 2019, 4:29 pm

Yes Sonic, we know you are loyal to the switch. It's getting a bit tiresome. No offense.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 31st, 2019, 4:37 pm

matmico399 wrote:Yes Sonic, we know you are loyal to the switch. It's getting a bit tiresome. No offense.

Ok, it just that the critic mentioned Sega Saturn for the game that The Game Paradise: CruisinMix Special was based on. And I noticed similarities with the Nintendo Switch and Sega Saturn and one of them is dither transparency.

Sega Saturn dither Transparency:

Nintendo Switch dither Transparency:

So for fans of the Sega Saturn I wanted to point out the Nintendo Switch is the most similar to the Sega Saturn with similarities like less powerful, foreign CPU architecture with X86 from PC/PS4/Xbox One vs ARM on Switch etc. And lately the Nintendo Switch is being compared to it where EA says the system is a nightmare to work with.: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/58992/ni ... index.html

So it does look like the Sega Saturn legacy lives on!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 31st, 2019, 5:41 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:The Nintendo Switch is the Sega Saturn spiritual successor

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 31st, 2019, 7:15 pm

Matchstick wrote:

Why Face Palm? Is it because Switch being compared to Sega Saturn is not the best? I know I should have used something else it only because of the dither transparency features which is a stretch.

Also I thought the X86/64 architecture on the PS4 and Xbox One where the most overhyped and disappointing hardware moment of all time for the following reasons such as that the systems are plane Jane gaming PCs with no real learning curve unlike the funky PS3 Cell CPU and the more developer friendly Xbox 360 Xenon CPU which still had a learning curve unlike X86 based gaming PCs. And that companies would get amazing results on day 1 and that hitting 1080P/60FPS would be easy and painless, etc. But what actually happened is we got 900P on PS4 and 720P on Xbox One and many games where still 30FPS and what not. This is the best example of how disappointing it was for launch games as it was an accurate picture to the hardware capabilities which turn out to be true in the end.: https://youtu.be/ZSI701GEWsA and also things like the PC Master Race where heating on the PS4 and Xbox One because of the disappointing results at launch. Especially with this guide.: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide and said this "Optimization: As time goes on, consoles don't get stronger and PCs don't get weaker"
"Some people claim that consoles get better over time due to "optimization" and that PCs (on the opposite end) get slower and need to be upgraded to keep up with these "optimizations". This is a lie. Yes, there is a gradual increase in developer hardware and SDK familiarity after new consoles (or hardware in general) launches. This was especially true with older consoles due to their hardware being exotic and hard to master. These "optimizations" are not exclusive to the consoles, either! The same optimizations are also taken advantage of on the PC when they receive large hardware revisions as well - just take a look at what DirectX 12 and Vulkan are doing for PC gamers! The XBox One and PS4 simply will not have a similar developer learning curve that the 360 and PS3 had because both new consoles use x86-based processors (which is also used by PCs!)."

I mean the part at the end says "The XBox One and PS4 simply will not have a similar developer learning curve that the 360 and PS3 had because both new consoles use x86-based processors (which is also used by PCs!)." Which is 100% correct as the results on PS4 and Xbox One did not get better at all until Pro and X which is a total joke, unlike Switch which is ARM based (similar to older pre-X86 based tech), and requires digging into the hardware to get great results.

Am I missing something or is the sources used not an accurate representation to the PS4 and Xbox One and why?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 8th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Update: All patches and DLC included and uncut unlike PS4 version.: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/the-game-pa ... es-and-dlc

A great Switch ports.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
Matchstick wrote:

Why Face Palm? Is it because Switch being compared to Sega Saturn is not the best? I know I should have used something else it only because of the dither transparency features which is a stretch.

Also I thought the X86/64 architecture on the PS4 and Xbox One where the most overhyped and disappointing hardware moment of all time for the following reasons such as that the systems are plane Jane gaming PCs with no real learning curve unlike the funky PS3 Cell CPU and the more developer friendly Xbox 360 Xenon CPU which still had a learning curve unlike X86 based gaming PCs. And that companies would get amazing results on day 1 and that hitting 1080P/60FPS would be easy and painless, etc. But what actually happened is we got 900P on PS4 and 720P on Xbox One and many games where still 30FPS and what not. This is the best example of how disappointing it was for launch games as it was an accurate picture to the hardware capabilities which turn out to be true in the end.: https://youtu.be/ZSI701GEWsA and also things like the PC Master Race where heating on the PS4 and Xbox One because of the disappointing results at launch. Especially with this guide.: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide and said this "Optimization: As time goes on, consoles don't get stronger and PCs don't get weaker"
"Some people claim that consoles get better over time due to "optimization" and that PCs (on the opposite end) get slower and need to be upgraded to keep up with these "optimizations". This is a lie. Yes, there is a gradual increase in developer hardware and SDK familiarity after new consoles (or hardware in general) launches. This was especially true with older consoles due to their hardware being exotic and hard to master. These "optimizations" are not exclusive to the consoles, either! The same optimizations are also taken advantage of on the PC when they receive large hardware revisions as well - just take a look at what DirectX 12 and Vulkan are doing for PC gamers! The XBox One and PS4 simply will not have a similar developer learning curve that the 360 and PS3 had because both new consoles use x86-based processors (which is also used by PCs!)."

I mean the part at the end says "The XBox One and PS4 simply will not have a similar developer learning curve that the 360 and PS3 had because both new consoles use x86-based processors (which is also used by PCs!)." Which is 100% correct as the results on PS4 and Xbox One did not get better at all until Pro and X which is a total joke, unlike Switch which is ARM based (similar to older pre-X86 based tech), and requires digging into the hardware to get great results.

Am I missing something or is the sources used not an accurate representation to the PS4 and Xbox One and why?

Older consoles being hard to master and optimize is very true, but if you play with it long enough you get some very interesting things out of them.

One example is the Jaguar, which was far more powerful than many gave it credit for but was held back due to both the glitchy/buggy design and the lack of documentation to utilize the system. The Jag could hold its own against the early PS1 era designs, but sadly had too many factors running against it.

Another example is the 32X, where the Virtua Fighter game easily outshown its Saturn counterpart (though the later Remix release is another story).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 9th, 2019, 4:18 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Older consoles being hard to master and optimize is very true, but if you play with it long enough you get some very interesting things out of them.

One example is the Jaguar, which was far more powerful than many gave it credit for but was held back due to both the glitchy/buggy design and the lack of documentation to utilize the system. The Jag could hold its own against the early PS1 era designs, but sadly had too many factors running against it.

Another example is the 32X, where the Virtua Fighter game easily outshown its Saturn counterpart (though the later Remix release is another story).

You have good points as when consoles where non-X86 based you had to dig into the hardware for good results, now in days companies are lazy and love X86 code dump, (looking at you DICE and Frostbite 3: https://youtu.be/ZSI701GEWsA)

Return to “Video Games General”