Will you miss Game Stop

General and high profile video game topics.
User avatar
nesfan
Posts: 132
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby nesfan » August 26th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Absolutely not. Every time I've gone to a Gamestop has been a bad experience and to this day, I've never actually purchased a game from them. I hate them and their policies. Opening up new games, selling used games as new, throwing away handheld game cases and manuals, throwing away games, and lying to their customers. That's not a business worth giving your money to. If you have any local used game shops in your area, there's no fathomable reason to ever go to Gamestop. I got 4 perfectly good stores within driving distance that I happily visit and give them my money. And even if you don't have any stores like that, online shopping is still a better choice than Gamestop.

User avatar
DrLitch
Posts: 240
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby DrLitch » August 26th, 2019, 8:35 pm

I do somewhat still like brick and mortar stores. I had a holiday in the UK this summer(I have been there many times and have family residing in South England). In the UK, unlike most cities in the US, downtown is actually where the hub of shopping activity lurks. England is not so much into "malls". They call it the High Street over there. Wondering around many towns, places I have visited numerous times, I found it alarming that they are packed with Coffee shops, Thrift Stores, and Dollar/Penny Stores. The old brick and mortar Music shops, high end clothing shops, Knick Knack Stores, Artsy Farty places, Unique Stores, and so on are closed, out of business. A small little town like Whitstable I counted 14 friggin coffee shops and 8 thrift stores. Very little else. The times, they are changing and I am getting older and more sentimental....

User avatar
zetax
Posts: 162
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:37 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby zetax » September 9th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Saw some rumblings on the Interwebz that half the Gamestops are going to be closed at the end of Q4. Must be taking management tips from Thanos...

Tron
Posts: 524
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby Tron » September 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm

DrLitch wrote:I do somewhat still like brick and mortar stores. I had a holiday in the UK this summer(I have been there many times and have family residing in South England). In the UK, unlike most cities in the US, downtown is actually where the hub of shopping activity lurks. England is not so much into "malls". They call it the High Street over there. Wondering around many towns, places I have visited numerous times, I found it alarming that they are packed with Coffee shops, Thrift Stores, and Dollar/Penny Stores. The old brick and mortar Music shops, high end clothing shops, Knick Knack Stores, Artsy Farty places, Unique Stores, and so on are closed, out of business. A small little town like Whitstable I counted 14 friggin coffee shops and 8 thrift stores. Very little else. The times, they are changing and I am getting older and more sentimental....


This post makes me sad. I figured the same was going on outside the US, but was still hopeful that England would be a little behind the times. I know little of England, but had hoped they would hold on to traditional ways of doing things longer than us. I hate Dollar General.

Herschie
Posts: 671
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby Herschie » September 20th, 2019, 12:14 pm

I was just there grabbing Link's Awakening. The clerk was getting the guy in front of me to sign up for this and that. It took forever! Meanwhile my lunch break was dwindling away. I can't tell you how much I hate that. All I want to do is grab my game and scram. Which I did, I was in and out in 45 seconds. I pride myself on being the quick customer.

Should have bought it from Target.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 12853
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Well at Target you gotta get somebody to open the case, and that guy is either helping somebody else or nowhere to be found. Is it any wonder people don't like buying physical media? They make it such a hassle!

Herschie
Posts: 671
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby Herschie » September 20th, 2019, 1:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well at Target you gotta get somebody to open the case, and that guy is either helping somebody else or nowhere to be found. Is it any wonder people don't like buying physical media? They make it such a hassle!


Oh yes. You really can't win! On my PS4 Pro, I always go digital because the hard drive can hold more games than I have time for. It's ready the second the game launches, and I don't have to bother getting off my duff to change the disc.

Not the case with the Switch. The limited space on the hard drive means I'll go physical. Such a pain having to archive games, then wait a half hour for them to download and install.

snakeboy
Posts: 175
Joined: April 30th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby snakeboy » September 20th, 2019, 2:25 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well at Target you gotta get somebody to open the case, and that guy is either helping somebody else or nowhere to be found. Is it any wonder people don't like buying physical media? They make it such a hassle!


Ain't that the truth. Everyone is so afraid of theft, the honest person ends up getting punished for it.

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 1243
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby Retro STrife » September 20th, 2019, 2:26 pm

:!: More fallout from the GameStop financial issues...

Back toward the top of this thread, I mentioned that one of my biggest concerns with GameStop failing would be the downfall of Game Informer magazine. It's one of the few print magazines you can still find for modern video games - and it's owned by GameStop and, frankly, it probably couldn't survive without GameStop pushing subscriptions and needing the magazine for its own marketing. It's not a perfect mag, but it's still pretty good and I enjoy reading through it.

Anyway, I just got my newest issue and they announced that 7 writers were laid off due to the company downsizing. Yikes... That has to be a good chunk of the staff. I wonder how much that will effect the magazine quality and what it means for the future.

Herschie
Posts: 671
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby Herschie » September 20th, 2019, 2:34 pm

snakeboy wrote:Ain't that the truth. Everyone is so afraid of theft, the honest person ends up getting punished for it.


That's why a 5 o'clock shadow is in style, people hate waiting for an associate to open the case. I seriously hate thieves, they make life more difficult for honest, hard-working people.

It would be great of I never was locked out because I never had to lock my doors, or if I could simply cancel ADT. Unfortunately these damn drug addicts...


Return to “Video Games General”