3DO games not reviewed yet by the VGC

General and high profile video game topics.
goldenband

Re: 3DO games not reviewed yet by the VGC

Postby goldenband » August 11th, 2019, 8:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Already ordered a copy off Ebay!

Not going to ruin it by looking at YouTube.

:D Sounds like a perfect Halloween twofer with Alone in the Dark 2 -- or even better, the fan translation of Doctor Hauzer!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 11th, 2019, 9:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Not going to ruin it by looking at YouTube.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. This is definitely the kind of game that gets ruined by watching a playthrough.

Glad to hear you picked it up. It's definitely not the best game, but like goldenband suggested, it would be an excellent Halloween title, a good departure from the standard zombie / monster / haunted house fare that constitutes most games in the "Horror" genre. I hope your experience is a pleasant one, but be warned, the game is a bit of a slow-burner. Hopefully you don't get too bored with it and give up on it early. Definitely want to hear what you think, though, one way or another.

For better or worse, it's certainly one of those "they just don't make 'em like this anymore" titles. But, I mean, it's on the 3D0, so that kinda goes without saying, amirite??

Out of curiosity, did you pick up any other games from goldenband's very well-put-together list? Just interested in knowing what to expect from the 3D0 pipeline going forward!
Last edited by Matchstick on August 12th, 2019, 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2019, 10:33 pm

That's it for now but I'm open to suggestions. Glad to hear Hell is going to be seasonally correct very soon!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 12th, 2019, 1:20 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:That's it for now but I'm open to suggestions.

Great list goldenband. Let me add yet another vote for Blade Force. It's always near the top of "best of" lists for the 3DO, so I'd love to see a review of it. Whether it holds up would be interesting to see, but it was definitely one of the better games on the system back in the day.

I'd also throw in a vote for Off-World Interceptor. Love that game because of the funny FMV cutscenes done in a MST3K style. It's rare to find 90s games that are as funny as Off-World Interceptor, so I consider it a real hidden gem. The gameplay is decent too, but the cutscenes steal the show and drive you to keep playing to the end.

djc

Postby djc » August 12th, 2019, 11:56 am

I know Zhadnost is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it was pretty entertaining but of course that could just be nostalgia talking. The "actors" (term used very loosely) is what made the game great.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » August 13th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Thank you for providing this list!! Looks like I'm gonna need to get to work.

I don't think I'm going to touch those "adult games" however. I'm not trying to run an adult site!

You did Custer's Revenge review or does not count?

Well the Atari adult games are more hilarious than arousing. Although to be fair, I've never seen these adult 3DO games. Maybe they're also hilarious.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 13th, 2019, 10:34 pm

nesfan wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Thank you for providing this list!! Looks like I'm gonna need to get to work.

I don't think I'm going to touch those "adult games" however. I'm not trying to run an adult site!

You did Custer's Revenge review or does not count?

Well the Atari adult games are more hilarious than arousing. Although to be fair, I've never seen these adult 3DO games. Maybe they're also hilarious.

Still.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 13th, 2019, 11:21 pm

nesfan wrote:Well the Atari adult games are more hilarious than arousing. Although to be fair, I've never seen these adult 3DO games. Maybe they're also hilarious.

A guy reviewed all of them on GameFAQs, and the bottom line is that they're generally tacky and un-sexy, and at times even depressing. Most are really video CDs, not games, so they're not even relevant to the site.

I've only seen one, Immortal Desire, which my wife and I watched a few years ago. I don't remember whether it was funny, but it was definitely cheesy and absurd. It certainly wasn't remotely as amusing as Plumbers Don't Wear Ties -- that "game" is amazing.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 13th, 2019, 11:27 pm

goldenband wrote:
nesfan wrote:Well the Atari adult games are more hilarious than arousing. Although to be fair, I've never seen these adult 3DO games. Maybe they're also hilarious.

A guy reviewed all of them on GameFAQs, and the bottom line is that they're generally tacky and un-sexy, and at times even depressing. Most are really video CDs, not games, so they're not even relevant to the site.

I've only seen one, Immortal Desire, which my wife and I watched a few years ago. I don't remember whether it was funny, but it was definitely cheesy and absurd. It certainly wasn't remotely as amusing as Plumbers Don't Wear Ties -- that "game" is amazing.

Critic reviewed Plumbers Don't Wear Ties and gave it the rare F- grade and not surprisingly the AVGN reviewed it!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 15th, 2019, 2:41 pm

It looks like we're going to have a happy ending to this thread, so maybe Shanghai: Triple Threat is another one to throw into the review mix? :mrgreen: I hope it's worth the effort for all involved!

Co-signed on Zhadnost, by the way. It's another one of those "utterly 3DO" games that definitely should get its moment in the Critic's spotlight.

Return to “Video Games General”