My Latest Project

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Re: My Latest Project

Postby Voor » August 27th, 2019, 2:12 pm

How do you have duplicates? Do you really buy a game, not remembering that you already have it? I can’t imagine...

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Speaking of accounting, do any of you use a collector site for game tracking? I use rfgeneration (which still has a VGC banner on the front page), but a site that uses dynamic pages might be better.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 27th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Voor wrote:How do you have duplicates? Do you really buy a game, not remembering that you already have it? I can’t imagine...

Good point. But to answer, here's a few ways that pop in my head...

-Some people buy "lots" to get good deals, and some games are common enough that they'll show up often in lots. Simple example - if you buy a set of 20 NES games here and 15 NES games there, and a few other lots, you suddenly end up with several duplicates of Super Mario Bros. 3.

-Sometimes a game is such a good deal, you buy it even though you already have it. So if I'm at a yard sale and see them selling Donkey Kong Country for $3, I'd buy it even though I own it.

-If you own hundreds or thousands of games and you don't have an inventory handy, it can be hard to remember all of them. For me that was especially true when my games were in storage for 10 years- I hadn't seen them in so long. You're at a convention, seeing a good deal on a game you want, thinking "Do I already own this?" You just go with your gut instinct. Sometimes you're right. Other times you end up with five copies of Yo! Noid from performing this same ritual on five different occasions....

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 27th, 2019, 7:43 pm

I should also add I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of my stuff. Got a separate page per system, with condition scores.

By the way I'm looking for a rug for this room since it has a concrete floor. The open area is about 4 ft x 8 ft, although it could probably be 5' x 9' if I run them under the shelves. Ideas welcome.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 27th, 2019, 7:47 pm

i know what you mean i love the looks of the Atari 5200 boxes and everytime i see one great memories come back to me
how about when we were younger going to Toys R Us and seeing all those cool video game boxes with the ticket underneath them lol

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » August 27th, 2019, 10:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I should also add I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of my stuff. Got a separate page per system, with condition scores.

By the way I'm looking for a rug for this room since it has a concrete floor. The open area is about 4 ft x 8 ft, although it could probably be 5' x 9' if I run them under the shelves. Ideas welcome.

[url]
https://www.mainehomerecreation.com/pro ... c-man-rug/[/url]

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 28th, 2019, 12:51 am

C64_Critic wrote:https://www.mainehomerecreation.com/product/pac-man-rug/

Now, if only it came in Frogger...

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 28th, 2019, 3:26 pm

My wife and I refer to this as the VGR, which of course stands for video game room. We have a 3 bedroom house on the far northwest side of Chicago, so she gets everything but one room. I have my 4K and CRT in there, along with all of my systems. It's a nice room to come home to and forget about how bad the traffic was.

I'm surprised you didn't already have a room like this.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2019, 8:47 pm

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Return to “Video Games General”