Sega Genesis Mini

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sega Genesis Mini

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I had mixed feelings about this review. I love the look of the system and it's a pretty strong (if spotty) game lineup. Sounds like the emulation is not spot on but about as close as you could hope for.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/09/ ... od-enough/

What upsets me is that Sega missed a big opportunity. The reviewer mentions he got a little Sonic cartridge to stick in the cartridge slot. Since nothing else is said, I assume this is just for show.

But imagine if Sega had included the actual games on that little cart? They could then easily expand the game collection by selling more little carts in the future. How could they have missed this??

Gentlegamer

Re: Sega Genesis Mini

Postby Gentlegamer » September 12th, 2019, 7:38 pm

The Nintendo minis are easily 'hacked' to add games, I'm sure the Genesis mini will be no different.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 12th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:The Nintendo minis are easily 'hacked' to add games, I'm sure the Genesis mini will be no different.

True, so I can add Rocket Knight Adventures on it the most disappointing game absent from the pack.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 14th, 2019, 1:56 am

I don’t know if I would call the lineup spotty at all. Even as a huge fan of the SNES Classic, I think the Genesis Mini trumps it. The fact that it includes two Mickey games, Road Rash 2, and Mega Man: The Wily Wars is pretty impressive in itself!

My only complaint with the lineup are the completely unnecessary inclusions. How many times are they going to release the awful Genesis port of Virtua Fighter 2? Eternal Champions should have stayed buried, and Sonic Spinball should have been left off. Apart from that, what could they have included? Sports games are out (obviously), as are most of the licensed properties. The only games that could have made this better, at least for me, are:

1). Rocket Knight
2). Dune
3). TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
4). Virtua Racing
5). Jungle Strike

I’m honestly stoked for this!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 14th, 2019, 12:54 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I don’t know if I would call the lineup spotty at all. Even as a huge fan of the SNES Classic, I think the Genesis Mini trumps it. The fact that it includes two Mickey games, Road Rash 2, and Mega Man: The Wily Wars is pretty impressive in itself!

My only complaint with the lineup are the completely unnecessary inclusions. How many times are they going to release the awful Genesis port of Virtua Fighter 2? Eternal Champions should have stayed buried, and Sonic Spinball should have been left off. Apart from that, what could they have included? Sports games are out (obviously), as are most of the licensed properties. The only games that could have made this better, at least for me, are:

1). Rocket Knight
2). Dune
3). TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
4). Virtua Racing
5). Jungle Strike

I’m honestly stoked for this!

Right on, and I do agree they sould have not included Virtua Fighter 2 Genesis, Eternal Champions, and Sonic Spinball. And most of those mentioned games are feasible, except for TMNT: Hyperstone Heist due to complex license issues.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 14th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I'm supremely bummed that the Japanese got 6-button controllers bundled with their systems. At least Sega included 2 controllers so you and a buddy can go to town right out of the box. Including SFII CE is a bit of a strange choice when they could have opted for the better (at least from a port standpoint) SSFII, but I'm glad it's there, all the same.

Given how much there "is" with the Genesis Mini, it's really hard to complain about what there "is not." 42 games and two controllers for $80 isn't too bad, and the system will likely get a nice Black Friday / holiday season discount. That's when I plan on picking one up. I already have a very nice Model 1 and Model 2 with most of the games already included with the Mini in physical cartridge form. Genesis is my favorite console, hands down, but since my original games and systems still work just fine, I'm not going to run out and buy the Mini on day one. Glad to hear it seems like it all came together pretty well.

I do wish we had gotten the mini cartridges and accessories that Japan did, even if they were just for show. I wish the headphone jack and volume slider worked like they do on the OG Model 1. And the fact that Japan got M.U.S.H.A. and we didn't really, really stings. Still, I feel like the Mini is a great value for the money, and given what unexpected surprises we did get in the game lineup (Bloodlines, Hard Corps, Road Rash II, Phantasy Star IV) I feel that the positives far, far outweigh the negatives on this one.

I hope it sells well. I don't care if they follow it up with a Saturn or Dreamcast mini console, but I'm definitely glad they started here with the Genesis. If it's the only Sega mini console we get, so be it. At least, in my opinion, they picked the best one.

Return to “Video Games General”