Mega drive flicker means busted cartridge?

General and high profile video game topics.
goldenband

Re: Mega drive flicker means busted cartridge?

Postby goldenband » September 29th, 2019, 3:35 pm

The Genesis is also well-known for having a slightly out-of-spec video signal that causes problems with certain TVs, capture cards, etc.

So, that could be a factor too -- not enough to cause problems on its own with a particular setup, maybe, but when combined with a slightly out-of-spec behavior from a given cart...

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » September 30th, 2019, 2:26 am

My TV is a Panasonic LCD TV: TX-L26X20B. I don't yet have the details of the second TV I tried the games on, that didn't exhibit the flickering, but displayed everything in grey scale.

I'm not technical, so I don't know any more. All I know is that two games I ordered off the same seller at the same time, exhibit the same flickering issue on my main TV and that none of my other Mega Drive games have this flicker; G-loc in game and Empire of Steel in non-game screens.

Which is why I am concerned that the cartridges are faulty?

Here is a poor phone captured video of the flickering in G-loc on my main TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqUMNn_ ... e=youtu.be

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 30th, 2019, 3:16 am

I'll say this: I had to return a Genesis copy of OutRun I bought once from an eBay seller due to a similar issue. Haven't thought about it in years.

I had two Genesis systems, a Model 1 and a Model 2. The game wouldn't run properly on either. On the Model 1, the game would play fine, but the sound and music were way off-key and sped up. On the Model 2, the game would either not boot at all, or would boot with massively distorted visuals but perfect sound. Cleaned the hell out of that cartridge, too, to no avail.

I wound up returning the game and bought an entirely different OutRun cartridge. It ran perfectly on both of my systems.

Look, these games are getting older. Some are stored in different ways, and over time the environment they were stored in can have adverse effects. ROM chips don't like sunlight or UV rays. Storing games where they get blasted by direct sunlight every day can cause ROM issues. Same with electromagnetic interference, such as from a stereo receiver or high-powered speakers. Other times, games are just stored in someone's musty, mildew-ridden basement which can cause corrosion or capacitor issues over time.

Who knows how well (or poorly) those games were stored before they came into your possession, Verm. If you bought them on eBay, though, see if you can return them. Most sellers are pretty nice about that kind of thing. If you can return them, see if you can buy different copies from another seller and see if you have better luck that way. It's worth a shot!

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 2nd, 2019, 2:05 am

I have decided to return the games (the seller has agreed to take them back). Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 2nd, 2019, 2:19 am

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 25th, 2019, 12:39 pm

What are the odds. I purchased another Mega Drive game, Global Gladiators from a used game shop, and it exhibit's the same flicker, albeit right from the Sega logo this time.

Makes me wonder if my Mega Drive isn't playing nice with my TV in some video set ups, rather than it being a cartridge issue. As 3 cartridges in a row, albeit from two sources total, exhibiting the same issue?

But a forth cartridge from my collection, Sonic 1 worked fine with no flicker.

Return to “Video Games General”