Later levels/bosses harder than final bosses?

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Later levels/bosses harder than final bosses?

Postby CharlieR » October 28th, 2019, 10:31 am

I was thinking about this topic while beating the N. Sane Trilogy version of Crash Bandicoot 2 this weekend. I found that the levels in the fourth world and boss (N. Gin) were harder than the fifth and final world levels and battle with Neo Cortex. The final battle with Cortex is one of the easiest final bosses I've played. It's just a space chase, where you have to spin him three times. The fourth world has two levels with bees, and other levels with tricky platforming. N. Gin gave me fits when I first played it on ps1, and was still tricky in the N. Sane Trilogy.

Other games I can think of are Uncharted 2, where the final boss can be easy if you know the secret, and Resident Evil 4 had some tough parts in the game, but the final boss wasn't too difficult.

can anyone think of other games like this?

Gentlegamer

Re: Later levels/bosses harder than final bosses?

Postby Gentlegamer » October 28th, 2019, 10:52 am

Halo 2 has some tough levels and then the final boss is an anti-climatic bullet sponge.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 28th, 2019, 5:10 pm

It is pretty much the mark of many RPG's or Metroidvania's to have earlier bosses or enemies much harder than later. Once character starts levelling up game becomes easier not harder. Even Breath of Wild. When you have 4 hearts and doing the Elephant Boss, pretty tough and annoying. Do 80+ shrines before going to this divine beast, with Armor levelled up twice or more, swing your 60+ HP weapon and kill in a few hits. One example of why RPG's are flawed.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 28th, 2019, 9:24 pm

DrLitch wrote:It is pretty much the mark of many RPG's or Metroidvania's to have earlier bosses or enemies much harder than later. Once character starts levelling up game becomes easier not harder. Even Breath of Wild. When you have 4 hearts and doing the Elephant Boss, pretty tough and annoying. Do 80+ shrines before going to this divine beast, with Armor levelled up twice or more, swing your 60+ HP weapon and kill in a few hits. One example of why RPG's are flawed.

I can't stand games with enemies that scale up in RPGs. It completely and utterly defeats the purpose of trying to "level up". I'm pretty sure I got super annoyed with the concept in Final Fantasy 8 around the 65th hour due to this crap. Clearly, I was playing it "wrong" and it irked me to no end.

Personally, I love working my tail off to be able to destroy a boss. It makes the time spent playing totally worth it.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 28th, 2019, 10:33 pm

My wife and I ran into this with Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Not only is the very last boss a pushover compared to the next-to-last boss (Skorne's second form), but even the Wraith (something like the fourth-to-last boss, I think) is much tougher.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 29th, 2019, 3:01 am

Toshinden 2; I always find Master an easier opponent than Uranus. I think because the former blocks a lot less.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 31st, 2019, 12:25 pm

The last boss of the Parodius games was always the easiest part of the game, and a reward for making it that far. Whether it's an easy target practically served to you on a platter, or the sudden overdue karma your own greedy octopus boss deserves, they were all memorable in their own way.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 15th, 2019, 8:14 am

I'm happy to say that I finally beat the final boss in Crash Bandicoot 1 the other night. It was the N. sane trilogy version. The PS1 version had a weird save feature that drove me crazy.

Cortex wasn't too tough. He shoots orbs at you, some can be reflected back at him. Some can be tricky to dodge, but it wasn't too difficult. There is A LOT of trial and error in this game, and a lot of tricky platforming. Most levels are pretty long too, with few checkpoints. Also, now that I've beaten all three games in the N. Sane Trilogy, I can go back and try to 100% the levels in the 2nd and 3rd games, not all that excited to replay the first though.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 15th, 2019, 9:00 am

Wendy O Koopa in Super Mario Bros. 3 is a candidate. Also, Phantoon from Super Metroid, along with Mother Brain in Metroid Zero Mission (Robo-Ridley is a joke, even if you fight his harder 100% item version).

Also Omega Metroid in Metroid Fusion, though this is a plot boss like Mother Brain in Super Metroid.

Return to “Video Games General”