8th gen systems.

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

8th gen systems.

Postby matmico399 » November 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Hey Dave I'm a loyal follower of your site. I am getting annoyed with all the updates I have to do on my Xbox 360. I have read your articles about the 8th gen systems. For a person who doesn't have a lot of time to game, would you suggest I get a PS4 or just buy more 360 games? I tried the Xbox one once and I hated it. Let me know what you think? Matt

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 8th gen systems.

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 13th, 2019, 6:33 pm

It really comes down to whether you actually play online. I've found that leaving my consoles offline (including my 360) prevents a lot of update headaches.

The games I play are always entirely physical media, and I've found that you don't need to update your PS4 or the individual games if you don't want to (unless they require online connection). Granted, you won't get the latest version, but unless there's a show-stopping bug, that really doesn't matter to me. Of course you still need to install a new game, which can take an hour or so.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 13th, 2019, 9:31 pm

If you got a PS4, what games would you get?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 13th, 2019, 10:23 pm

My word is Switch or none because Switch is very old school in terms of not dealing with annoying instales and gets a large chunk of the PS4/Xbox One better games and has Nintendo exclusives making it the best of all worlds. Xbox One is mostly useless outside of backwards compatibility and Rare Reply, PS4 is better compared to Xbox One, but unless your a Sony 1st party gamer, their is not a lot on PS4 outside of that unfortunately.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 14th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Hey, Matt, thanks for posting your question. I know you asked The Critic directly for his input and not anyone else, but since a few others have chimed in, I figured I'd give you my two cents, too.

In short, I wouldn't buy any of the new systems. I, too, don't have a lot of time to game, and am also an owner of a 360. My wife bought a Switch and an Xbox One in recent years, and while I'm happy that she's happy with the systems, I haven't been too impressed with either. Not that they're bad, per se, but I feel like whatever games I see on the newer systems have all been done before. I can't think of one game on our Switch or Xbox One that makes them a must-have or makes me glad that we invested the money and time into the two systems - and yes, she has Breath of the Wild and a few other well-received titles.

My advice is, unless you really want to get in on the Battle Royale craze or are looking for some serious online multiplayer action, you can let this generation pass you on by. I still get a lot of play out of our 360, and there's several titles that are not available on the next-gen systems, such as Marvel vs. Capcom Origins, that I find myself coming back to time and time again. There's some great late-release titles on the 360 (Far Cry Blood Dragon, Metal Gear Solid V, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Thief, Deux Ex Human Revolution) that play very well on the system, and games on the 360 tend to be so affordable that the system remains an excellent bang for the buck, especially considering the "Switch Tax" on Nintendo's newest system.

Of course, when I get the rare time to game, I typically go a few generations further back, and play my Saturn, Dreamcast, and Game Boy more than anything else. But if I can look at the overall gaming timeline and pick my own personal stopping point, it would be the 360 / PS3 / Wii generation, no question. Even then, I thought a lot of games in that generation were getting stale, but there was just enough in the way of sequels (Street Fighter IV) and revamps (DMC) to keep me going. Heck, there's some great new IPs from the generation, too, including the Darksiders and Souls series of games, all of which are dirt cheap nowadays.

Just my opinion, fella. Hope it helps!

Voor

Postby Voor » November 14th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Yeah I learned years ago to that when you reach this phase of life, just get whatever works for you. For me, a 3DS satisfies my gaming needs fully. The Switch has some nice looking games, but I’m not willing to spend hundreds of dollars when I play 2 hours a week max when I can get a similar experience for a quarter of the price.

If my kids happen to get into gaming, that may change, but no luck so far (and I don’t push it at all)

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 15th, 2019, 8:10 am

I live in London. I have 50 meg broadband. It works well. So for me the Xbox1 is fab. It has come along a lot in the last couple of years. So now it is a great machine. Backwards compatibility means that a lot of the old games from 360 are playable on the 1. Though the caveat is the need for the online connection. That is the worst thing about this console. If it could be played offline I would recommend it. Probably I would say a ps4 sounds a better bet. Though you know as soon as the next gen comes in Sony will turn off all of their servers majority of their games. Try playing resistance 2 on ps3 or motor storm.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » November 15th, 2019, 9:45 am

For what it's worth, I own a PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. I spend most of my time gaming on a ... Wii-U. I love the online capabilities of the Xbox One and PS4 and spend a good amount of time playing online with my son (he is in the Navy, is stationed in Norfolk now and heads to Italy next month -- online gaming is how we stay in touch). However, Breath of the Wild, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Splatoon (yes, even Splatoon still has a large online community) and other titles on the Switch work just fine on the Wii and the games are cheap.

Hey, I enjoy my Switch and all the other consoles, but I'm 50-years-old and actually find my older consoles have plenty to offer (I generally play through Skies of Arcadia on my Dreamcast every couple of years and did a video mod on my Atari 2600 so it looks better on my 4K set).

Return to “Video Games General”