Systems I've Neglected?

General and high profile video game topics.
DrLitch

Re: Systems I've Neglected?

Postby DrLitch » November 15th, 2019, 1:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I review a wide range of systems and you all know I have my favorites. However, I think there are certain systems I haven't posted reviews for in a while (years) that deserve more attention.

There are systems you are missing that have some classic content, i.e. Amiga, Sharp X68000, and even PC games. PC games is easy fix - get DosBox emulator and you can play a lot of Dos titles. Windows 95/98/ etc will be much more difficult but a lot of these titles were on consoles as well. You definitely need to review some old PC classics like Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1,2, Brotherhood of Steel, Xcom (also known as UFO: Enemy Unknown), Icewind Dale, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, SpellForce, Divinity, Sim City, Doom, Wolfenstein, ... just to name a few. Windows Era, GOG.com code games that are compatible, i.e. classics like Elder Scrolls III Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, and so on. If you like hard copies, you can always get them used and just use GOG for the download because they have some software that comes with the install to make sure it plays on Windows 10.

Sharp X68000, you are missing a console/PC with a plethora of shooters and some near arcade perfect ports of Ghouls and Ghosts and Street Fighter 2. Also a pretty decent Castlevania game.

Amiga, I do not know the console/PC that well but our European friends grew up with one. I did play an all time favorite of mine on the Amiga called Flashback. Another big title was called Another World.

I for one do not want to be the one to advise you to go broke on our account ;) .

For modern systems, Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata are noticeably missing reviews. I am surprised you have not reviewed Shadow of the Tomb Raider yet. While not very original you have played every Tomb Raider so far.

The Xbox could do with more love, very few titles reviewed. Agreed most end up on Playstation but if you have not played Ori and the Blind Forest you are missing out on a classic.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2019, 6:27 pm

I'm going to start working off this list, checking off systems as I go. Be patient though.

noah98

Postby noah98 » November 15th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I think you should definitely review some of the major games of this decade like The Witcher 3. A review of Dragon Age Inquisition would be cool too!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 16th, 2019, 8:23 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm going to start working off this list, checking off systems as I go. Be patient though.

Awesome: :D

BTW I know I keep bringing this up over the years, but -- since you mentioned re-reviews in your original post -- a game that definitely needs a re-review is Destination Earthstar on the NES. It's not that I expect the grade to change -- most people who play the game loathe it -- but your review from 2001 doesn't mention the side-scrolling stages at all, which make up half of the game (every other level) and are basically Destination Earthstar's gimmick (mixing up Star Raiders-style cockpit action with side-scrolling shmup stages).

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 17th, 2019, 8:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm going to start working off this list, checking off systems as I go. Be patient though.

Dump my suggestion on the Sharp X68000. While a nice early 90's Japanese only console/pc hybrid with some amazing arcade ports, I just checked the eBay prices. Used market gone up by an order of magnitude. While I know the critic would salivate at playing arcade perfect ports of classics like Ghouls and Ghosts, SF 2 CE, Final Fight, Darius on actual hardware designed for this purpose, the harsh reality is.... available on Xbox/PS.....

sixam

Postby sixam » November 18th, 2019, 3:14 pm

The Apple Pippin was the only video game console ever created by Apple. It was only marketed for a few months in 1996, yet there were quite a few titles released for it. Most of those titles were released in Japan, but those are suppose to be compatible with American Pippen consoles. The Pippen is such a strange console, maybe you should add it to your collection.

This site has a list of all Pippin titles:

https://pippin.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Pippin_titles

brendand

Postby brendand » November 19th, 2019, 2:03 am

Neo Geo Pocket Color ,Gameboy,Gameboy Color ,PS Vita, and 3 handhelds with no current reviews! Watara Supervision,Bandai Wonderswan and Nokia N-Gage

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 19th, 2019, 11:22 am

The Pippin reads like it would be a horrible chore to review and play.

+1 vote for it. That way I'll never have to bother with it.

:lol:

For games and systems you'll actually enjoy I'd say any of the handhelds mentioned would be great with a good sized library as well to check out.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 19th, 2019, 1:56 pm

brendand wrote:Neo Geo Pocket Color ,Gameboy,Gameboy Color ,PS Vita, and 3 handhelds with no current reviews! Watara Supervision,Bandai Wonderswan and Nokia N-Gage

N-Gage? That is quite mean... With a handful of exceptions, most of the games on it are on other platforms (and vastly better), though there are a handful of unique games worth digging for.

Supervision and GameMate are two systems that collecting for is a chore just due to the hardware aging badly, and they already had quality issues that were bad when they were new. For those not aware, they had worse blurring than any of the "mainstream" portables of the late 80s and early 90s.

I completely agree that Wonderswan/WS Color games being reviewed would be good. While half of the games would be unreviewable in any real sense due to the sheer number of RPG/Strategy/Visual Novel nature, there are plenty of great games on those two systems. Gunpey, Tetris, Rockman and Forte, Rockman EXE WS (not so great, but noteworthy), Klonoa (the WS game is the basis for the GBA games), Final Fantasy I, II and IV (quite playable without knowing Japanese, surprisingly enough), Guilty Gear Petit 2, and the Ghost n Goblins game, just to name a few...

brendand

Postby brendand » November 24th, 2019, 9:18 pm

True ! all of them have a healthy amount of great to average quality games between them ! but as usual alot of stinkers as well but the best games on each one make it worthwhile but i agree the Watara Supervision is the weakest of the bunch as good as its best games may be it just pales in comparsion to a Gameboy Pocket screen quality wise either way some of the best handheld games are on the ones i mentioned even Ngage has some great games.

Return to “Video Games General”