Streets of Rage 4 is Coming

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie

Re: Streets of Rage 4 is Coming

Postby velcrozombie » November 17th, 2019, 8:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:velcrozombie - I'm interested in those other games you named. Are any available on physical media?

I did some looking around and the only one that currently has a physical release is River City Girls. There were a couple of editions released by Limited Run Games for Switch and PS4 but all of them are sold out, although copies exist on Ebay. Best Buy currently has a preorder for the Switch that will be released on December 20th. There are also copies currently available for both the Switch and PS4 through play-asia.com.

It's hard to say if there will be physical editions for the other games - River City Girls was by a well-established studio (Wayforward, makers of the Shantae games and Double Dragon Neon, among others), but the other games I mentioned were made by very small independent studios (both The Takeover and Fight'n Rage were largely one-man projects). The Takeover was just officially released on Steam on the 9th - it was still in Early Access prior to then - so it will probably be at least few months before it even has a digital release on PS4 and Switch, let alone a physical one. Fight'n Rage is currently available digitally for the Switch and Xbox One (with a PS4 release coming soon, although with no date yet listed) and Mother Russia Bleeds has a digital release for the Switch and PS4. If I hear anything about any of the other games in the future I'll let you know - I'm not terribly optimistic, but then again I didn't anticipate Hollow Knight receiving a physical release either.

Another beat-em-up I found while looking for answers is Streets of Red, which only has a digital release on PS4 and Switch so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9JOXY0P-w

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 18th, 2019, 10:39 am

Haven't looked much into SoR4... is Roo back?

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 19th, 2019, 12:05 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Haven't looked much into SoR4... is Roo back?

So far it's Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding and the new character Cherry Hunter (daugther of Adam Hunter from the original SoR). There will be at least one additional character, however.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 19th, 2019, 12:11 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Haven't looked much into SoR4... is Roo back?

So far it's Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding and the new character Cherry Hunter (daugther of Adam Hunter from the original SoR). There will be at least one additional character, however.

Adam? Who's that? >_>;

Honestly, other than Alex, Blaze, Skate and Roo, I only remember the old cyborg guy from any of the games. And the other hidden boss character in SoR3, Shiva was his name?

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 25th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I lost track of this game but two new characters have been revealed in the meantime - Adam Hunter from the original SoR and a new grappling character named Floyd Iraia, who has cyborg arms (almost like a combo of Max and Zan). The BIGGEST announcement (and the one the Critic will be most excited for) is that the game has 4-player local co-op! I was skeptical for a while but the newest trailers have me looking forward to this. Not for long, either - release date is sometime this spring for PS4/Switch/XBox One/PC.

Adam Hunter trailer: https://youtu.be/5VwdCxjH7o8

Floyd Iraia/multiplayer trailer: https://youtu.be/TPKInEthHP8

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 25th, 2020, 7:34 pm

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:velcrozombie - I'm interested in those other games you named. Are any available on physical media?

I've seen River City Girls at the local Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/river-city ... Id=6390274

For some reason, the cartoony art style just doesn't seem right for Streets of Rage. I would prefer pixel art in this case, even though I liked the cartoony art style in Wonder Boy.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 3rd, 2020, 5:12 am

I really want to get enthusiastic about SOR4, but I'm not too excited when watching preview gameplay video's. I'm not a fan of the new art style, but okay, I can live with that choice. However, the game seems kind of... bland in those preview trailers. It looks a little bit like an advanced Flash game and the music doesn't seem to be as thrilling as in SOR2. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and it will be the best SOR ever! For now I'm playing SOR Remake though...

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 26th, 2021, 7:57 am

Preorders for the physical edition of The Takeover for PS4 and Nintendo Switch started yesterday and are open through July 25th through Limited Run Games. There's a standard release ($34.99) and a Collector's Edition ($54.99) for each console.

https://www.limitedrungames.com/collect ... e-takeover

As it turns out, both Fight'n Rage and Mother Russia Bleeds received physical editions through Limited Run Games as well and I totally missed the boat. Copies are still available on Ebay in the $50-60 range.

EDIT: Streets of Rage 4 is also getting some new content through DLC. There's a free update that will add Mania+ difficulty, a training system and new color palettes. There will also be paid DLC offering three new playable fighters (Max, Shiva and the SoR4 boss Estel), Survival mode, new weapons and enemies, character customization and more. The video linked below has footage of the new characters in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vCrdpwcWY

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2021, 9:06 am

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing this to my attention! This game looks great and is just my style.
I would have been mad at myself for missing out of this one!

Return to “Video Games General”