PS3 vs PS4

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

PS3 vs PS4

Postby matmico399 » November 21st, 2019, 6:22 pm

I was looking forward to finally getting a PS4 this Christmas. But I see it is not backwards compatible. Certain versions of the PS3 can play PS2 and PS1 games as well. From what I've read on the internet it gated have 4 USB ports to be backwards compatible. I would love to upgrade but more important to me is being able to play my PS one and play PS2 games on a system. Please advise, the holidays are you getting close in order to be a lot cheaper to get a PS3 if that's the only way I can play my older games. Thanks

ActRaiser

Re: PS3 vs PS4

Postby ActRaiser » November 21st, 2019, 9:15 pm

I think this is what you want.

https://www.lifewire.com/can-your-ps3-p ... es-2717135

It explains things pretty well.

In my humble opinion you are better off buying a PS2 to play PS2 games. Any PS3 will play PS1 games.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 22nd, 2019, 10:34 am

Thank you that was very helpful.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 24th, 2019, 8:07 am

I do see one error with that site. Sony never patched out PS2 backwards compatibility on BC 80 gig models. It would've been big news, likely bigger than the removal of Other OS was, had Sony done that.

Maybe the site was confused when BC 80 GB models got replaced with 80 GB non-PS2 compatible systems when Sony eliminated the PS2's GPU for cost reduction reasons (Only the CPU was being emulated at that point, circa 2008), which still had the same HDD size but of course couldn't play PS2 discs. Soon after that change was when I first bought a PS3, which ended up good since Sony revamped the motherboard with this change and fixed many of the durability issues that long ago killed off most of the PS2 compatible variants.

And no "Super Slims" have PS2 compatibility (The final variant that went top loading), which that site apparently is too old to have covered.

Also worth mentioning that Sony and Microsoft are talking up backwards compatibility for their next-gen platforms. Likely isn't going to go past last-gen compatibility (And the Xbox/Xbox 360 discs that the Xbox One can already play), but there's a possibility one of them will want the positive marketing pr bad enough to try to out do the other by offering universal software compatibility with their physical back catalog.

It's a real long shot though, so not worth putting off getting a PS4 in my opinion.
Last edited by Atariboy on November 24th, 2019, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 24th, 2019, 8:47 am

Happened to open that link again and noticed a real glaring error. It says that "Gamers could previously download PS2 classics and save game to the PS3 drive, but Sony closed the PS3 store in 2018". That is of course not at all accurate in regard to the Playstation Store's status.

Not sure how they got such a detail so very wrong, but the PS3 store is very much alive and functioning as 2019 comes to a close. I'm going to guess they got mixed up when they heard a while back that Sony's Playstation Plus service was going to cease giving PS3 freebies to subscribers, and somehow twisted that completely around to mean something else entirely.

There are still PS2 Classics online at the PS3 store by the way, with nice deals on them from time to time in Sony's weekly sales. I have a small collection thanks those sales and with a Japanese account, I own several of those M2 developed Sega Ages compilations that never left Japan (And which cost a small fortune to buy physically).

Wikipedia has a good chart for those digital PS2 downloads on the PS3, showing what's available and which regions they're out in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_3

Return to “Video Games General”