Games with sections that almost ruin it

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Games with sections that almost ruin it

Postby MSR1701 » December 5th, 2019, 8:31 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:If memory serves there was one particular minecart stage in Donkey Kong Country where you needed to make several perfectly timed jumps with zero room for error.

I don't recall any perfect jumps in the SNES version, though the GBC and GBA versions had some odd collision issues that made it seem like you had to be pixel perfect...

Retrology wrote:The damn barrel from Carnival Night Zone Act 2 in Sonic 3. You know damn well what I’m talking about.

Never had an issue with those, and I always found it amusing in hindsight that virtually all magazine publications spelled out what you needed to do, from EGM, to GamePro, to MEGA, to Mean Machines Sega, to Game Players...

strat wrote:Metroid Prime Trilogy - All three games have an easter egg hunt at the end that imposes a lot of bracktracking (it's less aggravating in MP1, though).

Earthworm Jim - The submarine riding with the tank controls in Down the Tubes/Tube Race sucks

Megaman X5 - This is almost a trainwreck as it is, but the attempt at Quickman Redux in the first part of the final stage breaks my tolerance level. I've only played through this whole game once.

I don't have anything against the Water Temple (except the bad interface for switching out the Iron Boots) or sneaking into Forsaken Fortress, but I don't like how OOT drags you through mandatory fetch quests just for that first trip onto Death Mountain. It would've been nice if there was a way to skip having to obtain Zelda's Letter (sneaking into the castle itself is fine, though).

Metroid Prime Trilogy - Prime 1 and 3 I had the nicknacks either mostly found or located while playing the first time through, though Prime 2 required the final suit to even attempt to gain the items to get to the final boss. What made Prime 2 really painful in that regard is all the items were in the Dark Aether, and once the area bosses are done, all the areas have a very unpleasant coloring to them...

Earthworm Jim - That was bad, though the blasted #5 Cats always seemed to grab me even when they shouldn't see me...

Mega Man X5 - The Quickman callback at the Virus Stage 1 was annoying, though the not-Time Stopper that you get helps there; the issue I have with X5 is the better than 50% chance that you won't have Zero once you fire the Shuttle and Cannon due to Random. Oh, and Tidal Kraken/Duff McWallen's stage is just plain Tedious... and the Bike section is tedious to gain all the orbs...

And on the subject of Mega Man, X6 and the bloody Gate's Lab sections; specifically Lab 2 and it's horrid level design, but also the boss fight with Gate (you have to reflect his shots back at him to damage him, none of your weapons hurt him, all the while you are fighting over destroyable platforms over a bottomless pit). The kicker to this? The reason none of your weapons can damage him is due to a bug that caused some of the weapons to one-shot Gate, and the fix was to make only his attacks hurt him....

And Mega Man and Bass's King 2 level... GAH!

OoT's overworld was dull and boring to begin with due to the lifeless hub in Hyrule Field; I had no issues with the dungeons per se (aside from early 3D puzzles and controls), but traversing Hyrule Field with the Day/Night cycle was enough to bore me to stop playing.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 5th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Stalvern wrote:
strat wrote:Earthworm Jim - The submarine riding with the tank controls in Down the Tubes/Tube Race sucks

git gud

Genuinely one of my favorite parts of the game.

I remember pulling my hair out during this level, but I kept coming back for more.

I'd also like to add to this the classic arcade game Bagman (https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=6995). The section that ruins it for me is when you put your quarter in the game and hit 1P. This game is absolutely ridiculous and has given my friend and I fits over the years. The game is so unbelievably hard that just completing half the level is a monumental achievement one worthy of a Nobel Prize (OK, maybe a key to the town).

Someone on Youtube who actually finished the first level. He or she should be honored greatly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOCTltz4Y4

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 5th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Oh, and Earthworm Jim 2's Elevator Chair with the Raining Old Ladys bit... GAH! Still, Well Done...

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 5th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Iron Keep in Dark Souls 2. Tough enemies + bad footing + FREAKING LAVA + one of the areas where you're most likely to get invaded + the mid-level bonfire being hidden behind one of the game's worst bosses = a level that almost made me rage quit more than once. Yes, Dark Souls is supposed to be hard, but it's supposed to be a certain kind of hard. Throwing tons of enemies at you at the same time with almost no room to fight them without falling to your death is the wrong kind of hard.

Shrine of Amana, also Dark Souls 2. Narrow walkways with instant death falls that are hard to see because they're FREAKING UNDERWATER, an army of magic snipers that will gank you from across the level, and infinitely respawning enemies that will chase you nonstop, makes a level that is just as bad as, if not worse, than Iron Keep.

Doesn't help that both of those levels have some of the most boring bosses in the entire game, so you're not even adequately rewarded for suffering through them.

Ms. Ruby's boss fight in Sly Cooper 1. Maybe this is because I'm playing the HD remaster and not the original (I've heard other people had this issue too) but a rhythm based boss fight where the controls just refuse to respond is downright unplayable. Especially since dying sends you all the way back to the beginning, and you just have to sit through the slow as crap early stages. And maybe I'm alone, but the way the game gives you more hit points every time you game over is almost insulting. Like, "Oh, the poor baby can't beat the little kid's game! Better put him on easy mode!"

Driving the tank in Sly Cooper 2. I get what they were going for, but these are the absolute worst driving controls I've ever seen. If I'd been a kid when I'd played this, I guarantee I would have gotten hopelessly stuck here. Even as an adult it took me way longer than it should have to beat. I always found myself going the wrong way, or turning too far when I just wanted to turn a little.

Monstro, Kingdom Hearts. Oh boy, a maze of rooms that all look exactly the same, a layout with no rhyme or reason, and being able to get knocked off ledges and into previous rooms so you have to do it again? Yaaaaay.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 5th, 2019, 3:02 pm

How does invaders in DS work? Are they other players online? If that’s so, it seems like it would make an already super hard game impossible—fighting brutal enemies with a human enemy thrown in on top of it. What’s the benefit?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 5th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Voor wrote:How does invaders in DS work? Are they other players online? If that’s so, it seems like it would make an already super hard game impossible—fighting brutal enemies with a human enemy thrown in on top of it. What’s the benefit?

They can be both online players and computer controlled NPCs. There are ways to get around it though. In 1 and (I think) 3, staying in hollowed form makes it so you can't be invaded, but you can't summon help either. In 2, you can be invaded when you're hollow, but the chances of it are increased when you're human. The benefit depends on what you're trying to get out of it. Some guilds reward you for invading and winning, some let you rescue other players who are being invaded, or if you just kill an invader you'll get their humanity, which is one more item to revive yourself to human status.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » December 5th, 2019, 7:39 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Oh, and Earthworm Jim 2's Elevator Chair with the Raining Old Ladys bit... GAH! Still, Well Done...

...FRESH!! **doink, doink, doink**

At least it's only the first level, right? Ah, EWJ2, one of my all-time favorites. Good call, MSR!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 6th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Add Hollow Knight to this list.

On my second playthrough. Love the game but...

That Mantis Lords battle is starting to wear thin. My save/respawn point is over 10 minutes of grind away. I am too far away to have a fair shot at learning the patterns to beat this. Also I have 7000 geo, I am damned if I am going to lose all this because I accidently die making it to the Mantis levels. It is so unfair having a save point so far away from a boss fight. How the f$&k do they expect me to learn? I beat it before but I have no idea how I did it. Get the two Mantis Lords at once, game over, I die. I only got 5 "health hearts" and it takes too long to charge them back up without taking hits. Frustrating :evil: :evil: :evil:

Voor

Postby Voor » December 7th, 2019, 12:06 am

DrLitch wrote:Add Hollow Knight to this list.

On my second playthrough. Love the game but...

That Mantis Lords battle is starting to wear thin. My save/respawn point is over 10 minutes of grind away. I am too far away to have a fair shot at learning the patterns to beat this. Also I have 7000 geo, I am damned if I am going to lose all this because I accidently die making it to the Mantis levels. It is so unfair having a save point so far away from a boss fight. How the f$&k do they expect me to learn? I beat it before but I have no idea how I did it. Get the two Mantis Lords at once, game over, I die. I only got 5 "health hearts" and it takes too long to charge them back up without taking hits. Frustrating :evil: :evil: :evil:

This sounds like a plea for help. Lol. I’m sure there’s an easier way?

The Donkey Kong Country/Returns mine cart sections are tough, but I still think they are fun, but I loathe the barrel rising sections (with flappy bird controls). I just die as quick as I can, so the computer controlled character will do it for me—which I know is a deduction of about 100 “gamer” points

GTS

Postby GTS » December 7th, 2019, 12:08 pm

The opening of Okami (PS2) has an unbearable, and unskippable, text based cut scene. To make it worse, all the words are said aloud in gibberish.

Return to “Video Games General”