The one that got away...

General and high profile video game topics.
djc

The one that got away...

Postby djc » December 7th, 2019, 1:04 am

As a kid you received a game - maybe for a birthday, maybe a holiday. You played it, liked it (or hated it) and then you got rid of it. Maybe you gave it to a friend or traded it in. Maybe it was just lost somewhere. The only problem is now the game is super rare and worth a ton of money. I figure it's happened to all of us at one point or another so let's share some stories.

For me, it was James Buster Douglass Boxing on the Sega Master System which I got as a Christmas gift along with my brand new Sega Master System 2 console. The game was easy to play (and beat) and I was able to beat all opponents in one sitting but I enjoyed it. My friend at the time asked to borrow the game along with a few others and I thought nothing of letting him take it home. When I went to get it back from him the following week, he told me his older brother stole all his games and sold them and that was that. Needless to say it was a hard lesson for young me to learn and from that point forward, I never let anyone borrow a game from me.

Fast forward to today and that game is widely regarded as an extremely rare game and I ACTUALLY OWNED IT. I know I would've still had it today because I still have all the games my friend didn't borrow. I use this cautionary tale with my kids to try to keep them from making a similar mistake.

So what is your story?

Alucard1191

Re: The one that got away...

Postby Alucard1191 » December 7th, 2019, 1:57 am

I have 2 stories with this.

First, and most recently, I went through a home foreclosure a few years back and left a box that had many games in it. For sure I lost Sonic Adventure, Virtua Cop 2, Actraiser, probably a few others too.

When I was much younger though I went to visit a friend's house. I took my brand new Sega Saturn with a decent collection of games, and my mom was in a big hurry picking me up so I left it there to pick up later. I was this kids best friend, and was over there multiple times per week.

In one night, (I was going to get it the next day...) it was taken by the friends Grandmother for some reason, who drove it an hour and a half away, (where she lived) and proceeded to give it to her next door neighbor who immediately sold it for drug money.

Needless to say the woman getting rid of roughly 800 dollars of brand new video game stuff was really upsetting, and she ended up having to hunt everything down. Many of my games never made it back and she ended up having to buy new copies of a few games. Guardian Heroes is the main one I remember of the ones she had to buy again. I left my friends house around 5, by 9 that night my brand new Saturn was gone. One of the biggest "Seriously, WTF?" moments of my youth.

Return to “Video Games General”