Best Game--Every Decade

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

Re: Best Game--Every Decade

Postby Retro STrife » December 28th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:And that's Gone Home.

And the reasons are all personal. Would it mean as much to me if the voice on the answering machine didn't sound exactly like my girlfriend, and nearly rip my heart out? Probably not. Nor would it hit as hard, if my family hadn't been a similar kind of dysfunctional. And if it didn't feature so many accurate call-backs to the past, despite the lack of licensing that would allow it to be a perfect recreation.

It's what Shenmue wanted to be, when it wasn't an action game.

And the fact that so much hate was directed at this game? All of that feigned outrage is what made me give it a shot in the first place. I generally avoided walking simulators like the plague, because they seemed too short and too limited an experience to justify their price tags, but this one finally taught me that there's way more to gaming and interactive art than what a simple Gamepro review score can measure.

Interesting choices - love Aria of Sorrow. But I wanted to say that this inspired me to try Gone Home soon. About a year ago, I was deciding between Gone Home and Edith Finch. I went with Edith Finch. But maybe I need to try both...

PixelatedGenocide - your post here did end up inspiring me to download Gone Home, and I played through it over the course of the past few nights. I liked it and I'm glad I played it - interesting story that definitely goes in a curveball direction from the initial setup. I can't say I loved it--a game like this depends entirely on the story, and I felt like the payoff wasn't enough--but still, a very solid game. And, as you mentioned, part of why you loved it were personal reasons beyond the game itself. Plus, in fairness, the game is now 6 years old. Anyway, thanks for mentioning the game.

By the way, if you like this style of game, I highly recommend What Remains of Edith Finch. The two games always draw heavy comparisons, because they both involve the exploration of your family's home to unearth clues about what happened to them. Objectively, Edith Finch is usually considered the better game (it's one of the best-reviewed games on PS4, and both my wife and I preferred it), but its themes are a bit different than Gone Home so it might not appeal to you in the same way. Still, definitely worth checking out if you liked Gone Home.

newmodelarmy

Re: Best Game--Every Decade

Postby newmodelarmy » December 29th, 2019, 10:34 am

Wow this is hard......forgive me if I am wrong with my dates!

1970's....for me it was Combat...I didn't have a 2600 until much later when they got much cheaper! So...I went over my Aunt's house in the late 70's who had just got one and my brother and I played Combat off and on for hours...

1980's...Questron for the C-64...the game that got me into RPG's and had me hooked on my C-64.

1990's...this is easy...EA's NHL series...NHL 96 is my favorite..

2000's....God of War..

2010's...Mass Effect 2...one of the greatest games of all time!

Return to “Video Games General”