Best Game--Every Decade

General and high profile video game topics.
noah98

Best Game--Every Decade

Postby noah98 » December 18th, 2019, 8:08 am

With another decade coming to an end (seems weird to think of decades since the millennium), there's talk of the best game from this decade. I think it would be fun if the critic did a "best game from each decade" special. But, no runner ups or honorable mentions! Commit to one overall best game each decade. It's really hard when you try to think about it. For example, in the 70's, Space Invaders was a mega popular game, but I think Asteroids (arcade vector version) is the best game. Anyway, here are my picks:

1970's: Asteroids (arcade version)

Awesome physics, vector graphics, still a blast to play.

1980's: Tetris (various platforms)

Still played by millions, whether it's mobile, handheld, or VR. This game created the puzzle genre.

1990's: The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past (Snes)

This was way too hard to decide! So many amazing, genre defining games. Still, I think this game is probably perfect. Still played and loved by gamers!

2000's: Animal Crossing (Gamecube)

Unapologetic controversial pick! A tough decade to be sure! Another game beloved by Nintendo gamers. When this came out, there was absolutely nothing like it, with the exception of the Japan only N64 Animal Forest. I doubt many will agree, but think about all the hype over the latest version coming in 2020. The mobile version of Animal Crossing is pretty hot right now too ;)

2010's: Skyrim (PC version)

To me, it's not even close. This game has been ported to nearly everything, including Alexa! Even the Switch version in portable mode is amazing! So many mods, endless replayability, and just a perfect adventure.

So, Video Game Critic friends, what are your picks?

noah98

Re: Best Game--Every Decade

Postby noah98 » December 18th, 2019, 8:14 am

The Rules: game had to be first released during that decade and only one game per decade

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 18th, 2019, 8:25 am

As justification, I just noticed that all of my choices do appear on this "greatest games of all time" list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... d_the_best

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 18th, 2019, 8:42 am

1970: Pong - I had to pick something and this sounds about right.
1980: River Raid - It was this or Super Mario 3
1990: ActRaiser - Arguably, the greatest game of all time. If you disagree with me, it's okay to be wrong.
2000: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - C'mon you know you feel the same
2010: Halo: Reach - We still play Reach in our weekly LAN get togethers. Not even 4 or 5 has taken its place. I can remember designing a map on my flight to Stockholm for work. We still play the custom maps I built every week. Its forge mode is simple enough yet complex enough to allow one to create unique experiences that fit the game types one enjoys. Awesome game with unparalleled game play.

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 18th, 2019, 9:23 am

ActRaiser wrote:1970: Pong - I had to pick something and this sounds about right.
1980: River Raid - It was this or Super Mario 3
1990: ActRaiser - Arguably, the greatest game of all time. If you disagree with me, it's okay to be wrong.
2000: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - C'mon you know you feel the same
2010: Halo: Reach - We still play Reach in our weekly LAN get togethers. Not even 4 or 5 has taken its place. I can remember designing a map on my flight to Stockholm for work. We still play the custom maps I built every week. Its forge mode is simple enough yet complex enough to allow one to create unique experiences that fit the game types one enjoys. Awesome game with unparalleled game play.

Big surprise on Actraiser lol!

What do you think of the new Halo Reach release on PC? My kids have been having fun playing it again. We have the Master Chief Collection on XBOX One, but no XBOX Live, so I'm glad it's finally on PC again.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 18th, 2019, 9:33 am

Interesting topic, and so hard to choose. Tried to be purely objective here, but I'm sure a few biases creep in.

1970s- Galaxian. This choice was tough due to the limited options, and nothing really jumping out. Also considered Space Invaders and Breakout.

1980s- Pac-Man. I know Ms. Pac-Man is technically better, but Pac-Man is just timeless fun and maybe the most mainstream video game phenomenon ever. Also considered SMB1, SMB3, and Legend of Zelda.

1990s- Metal Gear Solid. This could be my bias creeping in here, but Metal Gear Solid was both an awesome game (which, IMO, holds up better today than any other 3D game of the 90s) and helped usher in the era of excellent cinematics and voice-acting that we now have in most games today. Other easy choices could be Zelda: Link to the Past, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, or Final Fantasy VII. As an under-the-radar choice, don't forget Gran Turismo - in 1997, it changed the face of racing games and I'd call it the most important racing game ever made (especially during the 3D era).

2000s- Bioshock. Bioshock was the best game I played during the 2000s. Meanwhile, games like Grand Theft Auto III, World of Warcraft, and Halo completely changed gaming and their influence persists to today. But GTA III deserves real consideration here. People forget it because its gameplay doesn't hold up today - but it was an A+ game when it first came out. And personally, I consider Grand Theft Auto III to be the most important/influential 3D game ever released - it was light years past everything else out there, and every other developer had to catch up or get left behind.

2010s- Last of Us. This was the hardest for me, because I haven't played enough games this decade, but Last of Us was the best I played. In terms of influence, it feels a lot lighter this decade, as there are less new ideas. But Minecraft was huge, along with battle royale games (especially PUBG and Fortnite) and the rise of massive open world RPGs like Skyrim.

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 18th, 2019, 9:54 am

The 70's are tough because of so few games, but all the choices so far make sense (Asteroids, Pong, and Galaxian). I also think Space Invaders is hard to beat.

In the 80's you have Galaga, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Super Mario Brothers. So many choices!

In the 90's, it's insane with Street Fighter II, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, Symphony of the Night.

I could go on and on! It was hard for me to leave off some of my personal favorites like the Batman Arkham series, Tecmo Super Bowl, Wing Commander: Privateer, Smash Brothers, and Dragon Age Inquisition!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 18th, 2019, 10:04 am

Yeah, it's tough to set aside personal favorites. On my list up there, none of them would be my personal favorites of their particular decade. For example, when I say Bioshock is "the best game I played from the 2000s", that's when I try to view the games objectively - whereas, Metal Gear Solid 3 was my personal favorite. Meanwhile, for the 90s, I picked Metal Gear Solid, but that's not even in my personal top 5 from the 90s.. but I think it's objectively better than my personal favorites, like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tecmo Super Bowl.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 18th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Oh Gravey, I can't pick a single game for a whole decade... @_@

The 90s alone have WAY too many games to choose from, and even a breakdown by year would be a challenge... >_<;

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 18th, 2019, 1:26 pm

1970s- living life because very few games keep my interest for longer than ten minutes. Not that I was even born yet.
1980s- Legend of Zelda
1990s- Ocarina of Time
2000s- Madden 05
2010s- MLB 12: The Show

Return to “Video Games General”