Favorite Game Over Screens

General and high profile video game topics.
SuperiorShark

Favorite Game Over Screens

Postby SuperiorShark » December 27th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Of course nobody wants to get a game over but some games have very memorable game over screens. I think my all time favorite is the classic "Snake?! What happened?! Snake?! SNAAAAAAAKE!?" from Metal Gear Solid. More recently, I really like the Breath of the Wild game over screen for some reason. The way Link falls over, everything in the world freezes, the screen fades to black and that somber five second melody plays. I don't know, it just really stayed with me. What are some of your favorites?

Herschie

Re: Favorite Game Over Screens

Postby Herschie » December 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm

The Too Bad from Super Mario Sunshine. That honk at the end is hilarious.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 28th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Breath of the Wild is quite clever - the color of letters indicate your death. Did not notice it until my wife said "why are the colors different". I think blue = freeze, yellow = electricity, red = death from too much damage. I am not sure if there is another.

If we are allowed to include death sequencing as part of it then for me:

Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Fallout 3/4/New Vegas

Not sure intentionally or unintentionally hilarious.

Elder Scrolls - a Lurker or Giant can launch you miles into the sky.
Fallout - Jump down too far and get treated to an amusing death sequence. Or get your arms blown off etc...

Not forgetting Goldeneye either. I always thought looking at Bond biting the dust was funny.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 30th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Operation Wolf arcade
"You have sustained a lethal injury. Sorry, but you are finished.....(pause)...here

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 30th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Rule of Rose (PS2) has a doozy of a game over screen in keeping with the dark fairy-tale theme - I'll post a still but you really should see it with the animation and voiceover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxAQR4cMN0

The Batman Arkham games have fun game over screens where you get addressed in first-person by whoever happened to kill you. You get made fun of, lectured, talked down to, eaten, broken in half (none of these are explicit, of course), etc. The way each character walks out of total darkness gives the endings impact - you're being talked to one-on-one and since I tend to play in a dark room anyway they feel a bit creepy. The Joker endings with Mark Hamill from the first two games are especially good, although the voice-acting is generally strong. One of the few games that I didn't mind dying in. The link below has a playlist for the endings from the various games in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... f1b5H1hx3r

I used to find the "Return of Ganon" game over from Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link completely terrifying as a kid, aided by that odd laugh:

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 391 times

Same with Friday the 13th for the NES, long before it became an AVGN meme:

you_and_your_friends_are_dead.png
you_and_your_friends_are_dead.png (13.21 KiB) Viewed 391 times

I always liked the Mike Tyson's Punch-Out game over screen - it made you feel your failure, but also encouraged you to give it another go:

hqdefault (1).jpg
hqdefault (1).jpg (8.59 KiB) Viewed 391 times

SuperiorShark wrote: I think my all time favorite is the classic "Snake?! What happened?! Snake?! SNAAAAAAAKE!?" from Metal Gear Solid.

This is still the best one in my opinion.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » December 31st, 2019, 3:23 pm

The one for Missile Defense 3-D on the Sega Master System is pretty badass:

"THAT'S ALL IT TAKES." So matter of fact, so chilling.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 31st, 2019, 3:48 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Rule of Rose (PS2) has a doozy of a game over screen in keeping with the dark fairy-tale theme - I'll post a still but you really should see it with the animation and voiceover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxAQR4cMN0

I forgot to post this:

smaller.jpg
smaller.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Little princess, little princess,
Precious little princess.
The little girl was as beautiful as a princess.
But she was always all alone.
The girl found her grave.
Today is the day of her funeral
...And everyone lived happily ever after...

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 1st, 2020, 7:56 am

My top one is the one from Final Fantasy VII which shows that it was a movie and how appropriate considering its epicness.

Another is the one from Alien 3 for SNES, the creature drooling, the ominous music and of course Private Hudson's "Game Over man!"

Finally the haunting one from the first Donkey Kong Country where we see the two Kongs all bandaged and bruised plus the sombre, haunting music.

strat

Postby strat » January 1st, 2020, 2:40 pm

Chrono Trigger - Losing to Lavos

Final Fantasy VI - The melancholy music with the character kneeling down

Symphony of the Night - "Let us go out the evening for pleasure". The gameover screens of the GBA/DS Iga-vanias are also worth a look.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm

Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned so far are "Continue" screens moreso than "Game Over" screens. Final Fight and Nightshade (NES) come to mind, as both have the protagonist tied up and close to meeting certain doom. Pressing Start drops the knife that cuts the fuse in Final Fight, while Nightshade's screens act as more of a puzzle, giving the player several ways to free themselves.

Best part of Nightshade is that the Continue screen changes each time and the puzzles involved get progressively more difficult. Figure it out, and you're good to go! Run out of time, and, oops, Game Over! I think there is one final scene which can't be beaten, and is the "de facto" Game Over sequence.

Ultimate Air Combat for the NES has a similar sequence. There are three different aircraft in the game that are effectively the player's lives. Lose one, and the pilot ejects in time, but you lose access to the plane for the remainder of the game. Lose your last plane, and you are shown a simple cutscene of the cockpit hatch failing to open, trapping the pilot inside the plane as it tumbles towards certain doom. Wanna join the Air Force, kids??

As far as Game Over scenes that haven't been mentioned, I like the ones from the first Resident Evil as well as Alien Trilogy, as they are both very similar. RE shows the player down on the ground while the monster that did them in feasts upon their body. AT shows Ripley keeling over off-screen, where an Alien warrior then comes into the frame, gnashes its teeth, and takes a bite. Awesome stuff!

I'm not sure anything beats that Missile Command screen, though. "THAT'S ALL IT TAKES," indeed, goldenband.

EDIT: My wife reminded me of an all-time favorite, that being the oddly upbeat Game Over screen from Sega Rally and Sega Rally 2. Anyone who's ever seen it knows what's up: "GAME O-VAH, YEAAAAAAAAH!!" Absolutely unforgettable :-D
Last edited by Matchstick on January 1st, 2020, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Video Games General”