Sonic and the Secret Rings... maybe Sonic is back?

General and high profile video game topics.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 20th, 2007, 12:29 am

This should be part of the new games thread, but since Sonic is a big topic of discussion around here, I thought I would start a new thread.

This game looks great. Check it out at

http://wii.ign.com/articles/757/757110p1.html

Using the Wii-mote as a steering wheel to control Sonic as he runs at hyper fast speeds sounds like an awesome idea, and one that can finally get a Sonic game to work well in 3D. I'm pumped about this and I can't wait to see if the hype is real.

-Rob

a1

Postby a1 » January 20th, 2007, 3:47 am

I have high hopes for this game, but at the same time I can't imagine the concept working for an entire game. Of course, the ign writer said he felt the same way until he played it, and it sounded like there was a lot more depth to it that he couldn't reveal. Even if it gets just in the high 7s or low 8s scorewise it would still be a good start to reviving Sonic.

Conn

Postby Conn » January 20th, 2007, 4:49 am

It makes me think of those bonus stages, but stretched across an entire game.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 20th, 2007, 5:14 am

[QUOTE=feilong80]

This should be part of the new games thread, but since Sonic is a big topic of discussion around here, I thought I would start a new thread.

This game looks great. Check it out at

http://wii.ign.com/articles/757/757110p1.html

Using the Wii-mote as a steering wheel to control Sonic as he runs at hyper fast speeds sounds like an awesome idea, and one that can finally get a Sonic game to work well in 3D. I'm pumped about this and I can't wait to see if the hype is real.

-Rob

[/QUOTE]

Wow! Despite the crap that is out for Sonic you really believe this is going to work? Maybe. But this is just like Sonic Rivals (which was ok) and Sonic Riders (terrible). I'll believe it when I see it. Also, they have alreade put out good games with Sonic in 3D; they were called Sonic Adventure 1 & 2.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 20th, 2007, 10:22 am

Let me say that this has NOTHING to do with the Wii, I just have lost all faith in Sega when it comes to Sonic. I actually hope it is good, maybe that would restore some faith.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 20th, 2007, 11:17 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Let me say that this has NOTHING to do with the Wii, I just have lost all faith in Sega when it comes to Sonic. I actually hope it is good, maybe that would restore some faith.

[/QUOTE]
Don't worry Shawn, no one would question your recent unbiased streak because of lost faith in Sega's ability to handle Sonic.  In fact, I'd question your sanity if you had too high hopes for this one.  I think it could be good, but then, I thought the 360 one was going to be great too, so I'm tempering my hope a lot.  I can say if this one fails, Sega really will have killed Sonic in everything but handheld form.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 20th, 2007, 11:56 am

Here lies a problem: Sega really doesn't have to fix crap as there are always going to be people out there buying their Sonic junk. I'll give a franchise a few chances to correct the mistakes of the past and, if the reviews of a new game are glowing, I'll give it a skeptical chance. Weren't all the magazines touting Sonic 360/PS3 as a return, of sorts? I'm sorry, but I don't trust early opinion on ANYTHING, much less a new Sonic game! I'll probably sit this one out, seeing as how the last GREAT Sonic game was probably Sonic 3! Mind you, I said great, not good! If  you are talking good Sonics, you could mention the GBA Sonics, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Rush.....I suppose that's about it. For the love of God, Sega, pull your resources together and develop a new Nights rather than wasting your time on yet another failed Sonic venture!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 20th, 2007, 3:07 pm

I think it looks awesome, but those videos are just too little to tell at this point.  The videos they put out of Sonic 360 before it was released also looked promising.

I have high hopes for this one.  I guess that makes me crazy   Still, I'll gladly hold out hope if the whole game is like that, and the load times are very minimal.  I don't play Sonic for storylines and adventures.  I play it for speed.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 21st, 2007, 3:44 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

[/QUOTE]

I second that notion.

a1

Postby a1 » January 21st, 2007, 4:43 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry we made you so paranoid Shawn. We've all lost faith in Sonic. Honestly, I think Sonic Adventure 2 was the last good Sonic game. Sonic Rush on the DS was mediocre at best.

Return to “Video Games General”