Reconsidering Neo Geo CD reviews

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reconsidering Neo Geo CD reviews

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 16th, 2020, 6:19 pm

So you all know I mix my Neo Geo reviews with my Neo Geo CDs reviews. In some cases I own the same game for both systems, with the CD version often several grades lower. Why? Well the loading process is onerous in fighting games. We're not just talking about waiting between matches; we're talking about loading between rounds! It's bad. At least with shooters you just have to wait for each level to load - which is bad enough.

Still, I think a lot of readers resent the fact that I rate those CD games so low - as reflected in the reader grades which are typically very high.

With the recent information about faster CDs (see classic gaming thread) maybe I need to rethink these reviews. I had always assumed everybody was playing on the same slow-ass 1X system I had. I didn't know the Japanese had a faster version, and there were ways to upgrade. Also, future releases of the games will not be saddled with loading issues. Maybe I shouldn't assume the loading speed and focus on the game itself?

One thing I could do is remove the CD reviews altogether, and just post a note at the end of the normal review mentioning how the CD version has degraded gameplay due to loading.

I dunno. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Retro STrife

Re: Reconsidering Neo Geo CD reviews

Postby Retro STrife » February 16th, 2020, 11:53 pm

I support the way you currently do it. The load times make the fighting games almost unplayable, while the load times aren’t too bad for games from most other genres. I think your reviews accurately reflect that. I appreciated that your reviews gave me that information when I bought my Neo Geo CD about 5 years ago. All Neo Geo games are expensive, EXCEPT fighting games on the NG CD... there’s a reason for that, and it’s because the load times are unbearable and hurt the entire experience. Those low prices on ebay speak volumes, and your reviews match that consensus. If you wanted to revisit the scores for slight tweaks that would be one thing, but I think even that is unneeded unless you really want to.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the reader scores. Very few people own a Neo Geo CD.. I bet a lot of those scores are from people who played the games in the arcade or re-release collections. So they aren’t factoring the load times. And, for the people with a Neo Geo CD, almost all of them are playing the 1x version. It’s by far the most common version (personally, I have a Japanese 1x system), so I think it’s the best one to base your reviews on.

I also don’t think you should join the CD and AES reviews into one review. They are distinct systems, and the CD system has certain exclusive games not found on the AES (and vice versa). People collecting for the CD system will appreciate it broken down that way (I know I did when I was buying CD games). So it seems to work best the way you have it IMO.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » February 18th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Just want to totally agree with everything above.

I might actually think separating NG CD reviews from AES reviews entirely as they are distinct systems is a good idea.

djc

Postby djc » February 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

You have always based your reviews subjectively on how "fun" a game is for you and your friends to play. Extended loading times would definitely impact that fun leading to lower scores so I think it's fair to mention and factor the loading times into the games.

I am not sure I would split the Neo CD games into their own section though as they are really the same exact AES games just in a different medium. Are there any exclusive CD games not released on the AES? It would make more sense to split out the Turbo Grafx CD/Duo or Jaguar CD games as they are definitively different games.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm

djc wrote:I am not sure I would split the Neo CD games into their own section though as they are really the same exact AES games just in a different medium. Are there any exclusive CD games not released on the AES? It would make more sense to split out the Turbo Grafx CD/Duo or Jaguar CD games as they are definitively different games.

The only one I can think of is Samarai Sprits RPG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinset ... D_Retsuden

There may be more but that's the only one that comes to mind.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » February 25th, 2020, 7:59 am

There were eight Neo Geo CD exclusives, apparently:

• ADK World / ADK Special
  • Crossed Swords 2
  • Ironclad / Chotetsu Bri'kinger - reviewed by the Critic
  • King of Fighters '96 Collection
  • Mahjong Final Romance 2
  • Neo Geo CD Special
  • Samurai Spirits RPG
  • Zintrick / Oshidashi Zentrix

EDITED TO ADD MORE DETAIL:

ADK World is a fanclub game in Japanese, and mostly consists of quizzes, info, etc. but it does have a shmup minigame called 19YY.

King of Fighters '96 Collection is an informational/fanclub disc with no gameplay.

Mahjong Final Romance 2 also came out on the 3DO. I think it's one of those "sexy" mahjong games.

Neo Geo CD Special is a sampler disc that lets you try out 6 games, almost all of which the Critic has already reviewed (the exception is Fatal Fury 3). No relevance there.

Samurai Spirits RPG looks interesting but it's in Japanese and hasn't been translated into English yet, though there's a French fan translation (!).

So that leaves Crossed Swords 2 and Zintrick. The former is a sequel with a mixed reputation; the latter is a puzzle game. I think they're both either in English or 100% playable without needing to know Japanese.
Last edited by goldenband on February 25th, 2020, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 25th, 2020, 8:43 am

djc wrote:I am not sure I would split the Neo CD games into their own section though as they are really the same exact AES games just in a different medium.

Yeah I would agree that they shouldn't be split into separate sections. The games are virtually identical, other than being on CD vs. cartridge, and there are very few exclusive games. Despite being distinct systems (i.e., not an add-on), I like the AES and CD being grouped together. He also groups the MVS games together with them, and I think that's a good idea too. The MVS games are the cartridges used in the Neo Geo arcade machines, but the games are virtually identical to the AES and CD counterparts.

But I don't think the CD games should be removed completely, as VGC suggested as an option. I think it works perfect as it is.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 25th, 2020, 10:04 am

I would have no issue with seperating the CD to Cart reviews, as the CD games tend to have performance differences to the carts (horrid load times, compression, lack of frames, etc.). And unfortunately for SNK fans, the CD system just cannot compete to what the cart system was, given that the cart system was literally the physical arcade machine with raw, uncompressed game for the home, while the CD system was 90's CD tech trying to offer a cheaper alternative, and delivering as well as 90s CD tech could.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 25th, 2020, 2:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Still, I think a lot of readers resent the fact that I rate those CD games so low - as reflected in the reader grades which are typically very high.

Those KoF CD ports were all voted very high at the exact same time the cartridge versions were slapped across the face for not giving anyone enough time to master a real life martial arts discipline between rounds.

Besides, the same reader reviews assure us that Looney Tunes: Back in Action, is the greatest videogame ever created.

It's up to you how seriously you want to take these spontaneous review bombs, but if you let internet trolls guide your opinion, then you're never going to stop being their new chew-toy.

Besides, they forgot to give Voltage Fighter Gowkaizer CD and World Heroes Perfect CD the same kind of ridiculous scoring boost. If they can't even commit to their own bad joke, then what was the point of it all?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 25th, 2020, 2:31 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Still, I think a lot of readers resent the fact that I rate those CD games so low - as reflected in the reader grades which are typically very high.

Those KoF CD ports were all voted very high at the exact same time the cartridge versions were slapped across the face for not giving anyone enough time to master a real life martial arts discipline between rounds.

Besides, the same reader reviews assure us that Looney Tunes: Back in Action, is the greatest videogame ever created.

It's up to you how seriously you want to take these spontaneous review bombs, but if you let internet trolls guide your opinion, then you're never going to stop being their new chew-toy.

Besides, they forgot to give Voltage Fighter Gowkaizer CD and World Heroes Perfect CD the same kind of ridiculous scoring boost. If they can't even commit to their own bad joke, then what was the point of it all?

I have to agree.

Return to “Video Games General”