Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

Postby Paul Campbell » March 15th, 2020, 12:55 am

... since that is where the media is trying to get us to assume we are all heading.

For some reason, the first one that comes to my mind was an RPG on the Commodore 64 called "Wasteland". Any others worth noting?

Buttermancan

Re: Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

Postby Buttermancan » March 15th, 2020, 4:09 am

Over the last few days I was thinking of doing a reader review based on this but haven't had time due to work. I'm off tomorrow (perhaps we'll all be off tomorrow ;-) so perhaps I can do it then. I dont know if any of you guys have heard of Plague Inc. The game is based on the player creating a virus that you try to spread throughout the world and you only win when you have wiped out all of humanity! This literally falls into the critics liking of reviewing games due season etc.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 15th, 2020, 10:28 am

The media was just trying to get us to take a disease that spreads quietly and quickly a little more seriously, before it wipes out more people. At first, people were acting like it was just the flu, when it's ten times more lethal.

And yeah, it's mostly going to kill seniors, but that's still someone's favorite grandma. And life should never be cheap.

Still, the panicking is entirely organic on this one. For once, the media, both right and left, seems to be calmer than the public.

Besides, much of the blame for the panic has to fall on a president who can't stop lying. When infection spreads, and people start dying, after you say everything's going to be just fine? When we don't even have testing to compete with Korea, because he cut the budget for our pandemic response? I can see where that would inspire some doubts.

On the other hand, the critic still needs to review Outlander, so if we need to convince him the world is ending to get that theme going, I'm all for it.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 15th, 2020, 10:43 am

Also, the Mad Max games.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 15th, 2020, 10:44 am

And Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 15th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:... since that is where the media is trying to get us to assume we are all heading.

For some reason, the first one that comes to my mind was an RPG on the Commodore 64 called "Wasteland". Any others worth noting?

Dammit, I actually was going to start playing Wasteland on my C64 a couple of months back, but I kept getting a weird error when starting the game. I'm starting think this repaired breadbox (my SID chip went out on me so I had to replace it with a "SwinSID Ultimate" chip) simply is going to have issues with certain games, and until I can get back to using an OEM C64 I just have to take what I can get.

Steve

Postby Steve » March 15th, 2020, 7:50 pm

It seems like a good game to play/review would be A Plague Tale Innocence. It's not exactly post apocalyptic from our time line but I'm sure it felt that way to people of the time. I'm about 40% into it and enjoying it very much

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2020, 7:54 pm

I think you guys are taking this "seasonally correct" concept to the extreme! ;)

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 15th, 2020, 11:34 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited Post due to Political Blurb by myself. Wrong forum/site for that sort of discussion. Apologies.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Last edited by DrLitch on March 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 16th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Let's knock if off with the political talk please.

Return to “Video Games General”