Favorite Resident Evil Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
David

Favorite Resident Evil Games?

Postby David » March 17th, 2020, 10:03 pm

I was never a horror game fan, but when I played the RE2 remake a few months ago I really loved it despite it freaking me out. The only game in the series I had finished to that point was 5, and that was co-op with a friend. Since then, I’ve finished REmake, RE4, and RE7, and am getting the RE3 remake in a couple weeks when it releases.

What are your favorites?

Mine is for sure the RE2 remake. The controls feel modern, it looks great, and it’s scary enough with the right mix of puzzles and shooting. RE4 is the popular choice, but while I liked the game a lot I really, really hated the controls. I know the game was designed around them, but it never felt right to me even by the end of the game. And the game was less scary and more stressful, with the way the game throws you into situations being surrounded by enemies.

Paul Campbell

Re: Favorite Resident Evil Games?

Postby Paul Campbell » March 20th, 2020, 4:04 am

RE4 is in my all-time top 10, and it and RE5 are the only two I have ever played, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. :)

Shapur

Postby Shapur » March 20th, 2020, 11:56 pm

Most fun? Resident Evil 3(original). It struck just the right balance of difficulty and scope.

Of course I have love for the good ol’ original most of all. Perfect settings, I like the “horrible” controls. Most of all hilarious, and memorable dialogue.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 21st, 2020, 7:59 am

I've only played three: Resident Evil Gaiden, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil Deadly Silence/Director's Cut. Of that bunch, I'd say my favorite is the 2nd one. Enormous amounts of replay, cooler weapons, creepier environments and monsters, better voice acting (hearing Leon's "Ada.....ADA!!!!" That still gets me to this day), and unlockable secrets. Gaiden lacked the fright factor, but at least it had innovativeness in the combat system. As for Deadly Silence and Director's Cut, they're the same as they were decades ago, with same so bad it's good acting and writing "You were almost a Jill Sandwich!" though I love the boss fights, especially Plant 42 with Jill and Black Tiger with Chris (gotta love the flamethrower!)

thunderjohn

Postby thunderjohn » March 21st, 2020, 8:08 am

Mine is RE 4. Pacing, set-pieces etc.are all top notch.But I like Veronica and REmake, too. REmake 2 was ok, I guess. Tried REmake 3 demo yesterday and its quite solid.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 21st, 2020, 11:48 am

Resident Evil 4 for me, although I also really enjoyed the first Resident Evil remake for the GameCube. The graphics were a major step up.

David

Postby David » March 21st, 2020, 7:35 pm

I just played the RE3 demo yesterday and was thoroughly frightened. Nemesis makes Mr. X feel like Mr. Rogers.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 21st, 2020, 8:44 pm

Re4 and then Re2 Remake. I can pass on the rest although they are not necessarily bad games at all, I just never was a huge fan of Resident Evil. One of the few game series to produce a decent film though and (Alice) Mila Jovavich >> Jill Valentine.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » March 21st, 2020, 11:25 pm

So I have not played the more recent RE games, so take that into account, but I have played everything up to 5, including some of the PS2 offshoot games.

My votes would be the GC remake of RE1, and RE4 respectively. I think the GC remake nails what the original style is supposed to be, it is a beautiful game and I think is far more scary that 4 or 5 in part because of the coloring, engine, fixed camera angles, etc.

RE4 is just fantastic. Like playing through a really bad action film, in the absolute best way.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » March 22nd, 2020, 8:35 am

David wrote:I just played the RE3 demo yesterday and was thoroughly frightened. Nemesis makes Mr. X feel like Mr. Rogers.

Never played any of them so I know nothing of the controls (I assume they're probably bad), but I watched a buddy in college play most of the 2nd and almost the entirety of the 3rd game. Man, anytime Nemesis appeared I'm pretty sure my blood pressure spiked and I was only watching.

Return to “Video Games General”