The timing of the Switch was perfect, and it took me out of the console market...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

The timing of the Switch was perfect, and it took me out of the console market...

Postby Paul Campbell » March 20th, 2020, 3:53 am

With all the news about the upcoming console generation that Google has been digitally bitch-slapping me with lately, combined with my love of the Switch and its library, I can't fathom how long it will be before I am anxious to buy a next-gen console.

Think about the timing of the release of the Switch. It hit the world exactly when the processing power on a console of its size and form was good enough to be considered passable when playing upper-tier games, and also when graphics had gotten so good, that the improvements between generations was becoming extremely marginal, and likely less of a motivator when considering a new generation console. I feel like the Switch is the console that is TRULY reminding a huge number of gamers that it's the FUN of the game that matters, not necessarily the realism. Think of how Fortnite has taken over the gaming world. With graphics that are just cartoon enough to make the game playable on as many consoles, devices, and mid-level PCs as possible. Do you hear kids complaining about a lack of realism? I just think the Switch likely would have failed at almost any other time, but this was when it was most likely to succeed. If they tried to do this during the Gameboy advance or DS days, putting those graphics on your TV would have presented such a steep regress in realism that people wouldn't have taken it as seriously. But now, with a combination of technology hitting its portable stride, and people seeing that consoles have kind of maxed out, the Switch can thrive with a more balanced customer base.

Having said all that, are you at all excited about the upcoming generation? And if so, why? What motivates you? Honestly all I care about is which of my favorite Playstation exclusives are going to also be released on the PS4, like Last of Us and Uncharted...

Gentlegamer

Re: The timing of the Switch was perfect, and it took me out of the console market...

Postby Gentlegamer » March 20th, 2020, 11:51 am

I am transitioning to a PC only or PC main gamer at this point. I am open to Sony surprising me with exclusives on PS5, but since MS is wisely going back to PC support (no Xbox exclusives at launch of Series X), I think I'm comfortable staying on PC.

This leaves Nintendo aside, also open there, but I have not yet bought a Switch because outside of Super Mario Odyssey, there is nothing exclusive to entice me (I have a WiiU and all the good games that were ported already). I certainly will not get a Switch for any kind of digital only content since Nintendo's online account system is wholly inadequate, in my opinion.

ActRaiser

Re: The timing of the Switch was perfect, and it took me out of the console market...

Postby ActRaiser » March 20th, 2020, 12:44 pm

For me this past generation I haven't played much on either the PS4 or Xbox One. I might own the games but taking the time to play them has taken a back seat to a kiddo, new house, etc. The Switch at least allows me to get in a few minutes before bedtime. Usually, it's to poke around for 5-10 minutes before calling it for the evening.

I did put down a deposit to get in queue for an actual arcade system. They are now at an 8 month wait. It will arrive in December. That's going to be my big expenditure for the year gaming wise. It will support 4-players along with light gun support. My hope is that my daughter and I can play games together at night or she can use it with her friends as she gets older.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 20th, 2020, 5:32 pm

As a new switch owner, I’ve really enjoyed it. The ability to play in handheld mode has been huge, simply because it’s more family friendly at night.

I have NEVER cared about realistic graphics, processing power, blah, blah, blah. Nintendo has wisely decided to go with innovation (for better or worse) over joint the technology war, which was a smart decision.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 20th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:Having said all that, are you at all excited about the upcoming generation? And if so, why? What motivates you? Honestly all I care about is which of my favorite Playstation exclusives are going to also be released on the PS4, like Last of Us and Uncharted...

Gentlegamer wrote:I am transitioning to a PC only or PC main gamer at this point. I am open to Sony surprising me with exclusives on PS5, but since MS is wisely going back to PC support (no Xbox exclusives at launch of Series X), I think I'm comfortable staying on PC. This leaves Nintendo aside, also open there, but I have not yet bought a Switch because outside of Super Mario Odyssey, there is nothing exclusive to entice me (I have a WiiU and all the good games that were ported already). I certainly will not get a Switch for any kind of digital only content since Nintendo's online account system is wholly inadequate, in my opinion.

Like Gentlegamer I have pretty much moved over to the PC gaming platform. Nintendo being a lower power device means it is already on PC via emulation. Xbox exclusives now going to PC, a lot of Sony exclusives the same. Horizon Zero Dawn coming out on PC now. People like to compare PC's to Consoles but in reality they both are just means to playing games. Consoles give a lot for very little money - that $400 or $500 for a PS5 or Xbox nets you hardware that renders graphics to the same sort of fidelity as a high end PC costing north of $2500. Wont be the case four years after the console releases but during initial adoption you get a heck of lot of bang for your buck.

Excited about next gen PS5/Xbox? I have warm feelings. A new console gen, upgraded graphics, potentially new IP's, larger downloads (100's GB's), highly anticipated sequels. Like every gen, it will take time to gain traction and like every gen there will be people that despise it for "insert reasons".

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 25th, 2020, 11:42 am

I'm excited to watch the new lighting engines - this may be the generation where we finally achieve the dream of real time cinematic results. Real time raycasting? That seemed impossible only a decade ago.

Especially since, if we're realistic, simulating light bounces uses a lot of resources; how many games are going to prioritize it, and still turn in a decent performance? And what clever tricks will be used to fake it all?

But I've been a portable only gamer since my first PSP. And so far this year, I've spent more time with my DS than anything else.

Only the VR might convince me to upgrade.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 25th, 2020, 1:36 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:I'm excited to watch the new lighting engines - this may be the generation where we finally achieve the dream of real time cinematic results. Real time raycasting? That seemed impossible only a decade ago.

Especially since, if we're realistic, simulating light bounces uses a lot of resources; how many games are going to prioritize it, and still turn in a decent performance? And what clever tricks will be used to fake it all?

But I've been a portable only gamer since my first PSP. And so far this year, I've spent more time with my DS than anything else.

Only the VR might convince me to upgrade.

Ah, good point. VR is still developing and could make a leap that gets me excited in the technological aspect of gaming again.

That, or a VR-only release of a Half-Life sequel, which I would sell a kidney for...

Return to “Video Games General”